Thread: New PPS has "Radioreference .csv" import funtionality

Thanks

Default New PPS has "Radioreference .csv" import funtionality

Did I miss this from before, or is it new?

Does anyone know what the RR .csv format is? I don't have a paid membership there.

One of my main gripes about PPS has been a lack of importing data, because the PPS itself is cumbersome when many entries come into play.

Random thought: does this somewhat invalidate the thought that this is a professional pager only, or might Unication be playing to the scanner market just a little bit now?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to noaffiliatefan For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Mar 04, 2019)

Thanks

It's brand new in this release. You download both the site and talkgroup CSV files from RR and slice and dice them to your desires, then import. All you have to do manually is set the wacn and sysid and you're good to go. Makes programming entire statewide systems a breeze.

Wait until you see the new "tow truck" package. http://www.uni.com.tw/solutions/tow-...oring-solution

4. The Following User Says Thank You to that guy For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Mar 04, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 480 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by that guy View Post
    Wait until you see the new "tow truck" package. http://www.uni.com.tw/solutions/tow-...oring-solution
    This was done specifically for the Houston market. People are making a killing selling Unications to wrecker drivers down here, where previously the only other option was a bootleg XTL or Astro Spectra (not always programmed for NAS either.)
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    This was done specifically for the Houston market. People are making a killing selling Unications to wrecker drivers down here, where previously the only other option was a bootleg XTL or Astro Spectra (not always programmed for NAS either.)
    I'll bet it would sell in Toronto too. If you have the ability to see the Discovery TV show Heavy Rescue 401, at least one of the companies shown there is bad for this (extra internet points if you can pick them out without a hint). You can always find someone saying "need help fixing motorola scannenr" on the towing groups on FB, or in RR. Invariably it's an XTL or Spectra that's been bricked because it was using a real ID in a non-NAS configuration.

Telling these a-holes that they're jeopardizing the lives of public safety users doesn't do a thing. The first tow on the scene of a crash gets the job, and they drive like total ****-heads all over the metro area to get there first. To boot, they come up with fees that begin at "ludicrous" the moment you're on the hook, and only escalate from there. The OPP is so insistent on clearing the 400 series roads as quick as possible, they're happy to just get the cars out of the way no matter how much the tow operator is bending the victims over.

Calgary has a contract with one tow company and leaves it at that. If the person has already called for a tow from someone else (like the local equivalent of AAA for example) and it's not going to be something stupid like 4 hours, that's cool, the contract tow is cancelled. Otherwise, Joe's Sketchy Pickup With A Stinger Inc. is told to keep on driving by, don't even bother stopping.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 120Comm For This Useful Post:

Viper1-6 (Mar 04, 2019)

Thanks

I don't suppose someone with an RR account would mind posting a CSV example?

Thanks

Here is a zip with an example site CSV and talkgroup CSV.

It appears to be a very simple format, easily replicated if you do not want to use (or cannot use) Radio Reference data.

I have not tried the new PPS myself yet, but after loading more than one statewide system into my G5 by hand, I'm very excited for this feature.

17c.zip

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 16b For This Useful Post:

box (Mar 05, 2019),noaffiliatefan (Mar 05, 2019),triptolemus (Mar 05, 2019)

Thanks

Perfect, thanks very much!

Thanks

Some notes as I dink around with this:

Looks like an overall device TG limit of 8192, which I had never had to think about before.

Also, on import, it sure doesn't like importing big CSV files. Right now I'm looking at a transparent window where I'm supposed to select the TGs from the CSV. Yeah, that's right, transparent. So, after testing with 5 TGs I broke it... lol.

Now, I had made my own CSV so it's possible I introduced an error along the way - I didn't check all 5000 rows. I did get an error message about "input string was not in a correct format" so I'm guessing a mismatched quote or un-escaped comma somewhere in my CSV.

The import window does have a "Max: 512" note in it, so that may be another limit to pay attention to. So there goes the idea that one might be able to just chuck in entire state's worth of TG descriptions in one go - you'll have to at least chunk it into 512 TGs at a time.

The first line of the RR CSV file for tgs is:

Decimal, Subfleet, Alpha Tag, Mode, Description, Tag, Category

The only items I see being actually imported are the Decimal TG id and the Alpha Tag - but all of the headers need to be there or the importer complains. Zeroing out the rest of the data doesn't seem to hurt, notwithstanding the error I'm running into.

First line of the RR CSV file for sites:

RFSS, Site Dec, Site Hex, Site NAC, Description, County Name, Lat, Lon, Range, Frequencies

I'll play around with this a bit later, I'm fairly sure Lat/Long/Range are ignored.

OK, found the problem with the TG csv file, for some reason Excel is adding a space after the Decimal TG, like so:

4834 ,,TALKGROUP DESCRIPTION,,,,

It should be:

4834,,TALKGROUP DESCRIPTION,,,,

Happening on both Windows and Mac Excel. Weird. I'll look more tomorrow.

Thanks

noaffiliatefan,
    I am in TXWARN territory (Harris County, Houston). Many of the header items for your .csv stuff doesnt match tne TXWARN system layout as shown on RR's database. If PPS is requiring that header setup, I'm a bit stumped. I did keep the header names and order with only TG ID's and Alpha tags but the PPS still rejected it.
    I made several attempts to use your header arrangement interchanging raw data from both systems and had no success in getting the PPS to accept it as a valid format. Perhaps I've not got a parameter set correctly elsewhere in the PPS? I dont know.

If there is a proper header file that matches with TXWARN in someone's possession I'd sure like a look at it. I am Excel saavy so I can provide the proper data to the proper columns as needed by my system.

With luck, my G5 will arrive Saturday, but it may actually be Monday before I get it. I'd like to have the codeplug already setup so I can load it up and see what tweaks I'll need when it arrives.

Thanks to anyone for any assistance.

Take a look at TXWARN.... even with all the non LEA stuff omitted, no body should have to hand type all that just keep tabs on what your locale's PDs and Sheriff is up to.....lol

Oh the dedication...........

Thanks

Ahh the old wrecker driver thing again. I do NOT miss the days of implementing the CoH PSRS and dealing with that. I am glad a solution is available that fits the needs of both the RNOC and the drivers.

Thanks

The .csv solution DOES work for the lion's share of the labor. I'll need to edit some of the Alphas to my liking but all in all.............YEAH!

In my case it took closing everything and re-booting Windoze and before the PPS would accept anything on the import function. eh, WindoZe......go figure.......

Anyway thanks to those involved in providing the info to format the .csv for the Unication. It is/will be a major asset in loading up TXWARN.
    Once I get it loaded up and tweaked, anyone who wants a copy will be welcome to it.

Sorry for the erroneous post. I've used WindoZe long enough to know I should have closed/re-booted at the first signs mischief.