Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Using an Inexpensive P7200 as a monitor receiver (scanner) - Firmware changes required

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AD0JA For This Useful Post:

SPECIAL_EYE (Mar 14, 2019)

Thanks

I did not have interest in these radios at the time only M, so I would not have read them. Thank-you for the links

Quote Originally Posted by AD0JA View Post

Thanks

Have you confirmed using Unitrunker or similar that this is an actual Phase II system?

RR shows both systems in my area as Phase II, however everything is currently phase I only. Both systems do advertise Phase II, but there's no phase II activity at all on them.

Just checking to make sure before everyone gets excited.
    I did not verify by other means that it was actually a type II system. It not only lists that itís a phase II system but these talkgroups are specifically listed as phase II, while others are listed as phase I. I figured this information was confirmed. Typically systems are listed as phase II and have a mix of both phase I and II talkgroups specifically marked as such. I was only visiting the area about 30 minutes away from the range of this system. I programmed the radio and drove there to test.

Thanks

I never trust anything on RR unless I've confirmed it myself. But thanks for the info, hopefully we can clear up the varying information on Phase II for the 7200.

Here's something I found out:

Enable the FCC Menu using RPM
    Navigate to and select the FCC Menu on the P7200
    It will start scrolling through information (RX Freq, TX Freq, etc)
    Press the M button four times with a one second pause between each press
    Scroll down, hidden options and info will be revealed (the first one is an option to go into Burn App mode)
    One of them says FDMA, I wonder if it will show TDMA if it's on a Phase II system?

Thanks

Yeah,there were mistaken claims of receiving TDMA talkgroups before,only to find out that is was actually a talkgroup operating in FDMA.Hopefully that system was actually operating in TDMA for those channels.

Thanks

Hello all, is there a step by step on how to downgrade? I have not played with one of these radios before but ended up getting one from the seller. Unfortunately it shows h/w H which you guys have said my not work to rx phase 2. Any help in the right direction would be great. Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by splinter34 View Post
    That's how you remove OpenSky trunking firmware. These radios don't have OTP firmware installed so this isn't necessary

All you need to do is obtain the XGP R02A26 firmware and BurnApp R11a04 (hint gatorbait3014 posted it on another forum)

I recommend using Radio Maintenance to backup the tracking and feature data in case something goes wrong. If you mess up and lose the feature data, you're screwed.

Go into RPM, Radio Menu --> Standard Serial Connection --> Load Compressed Code

Load in the older BurnApp and then the older XGP firmware. Once that's finished create a new P7200 Scan Personality in RPM and write it to the radio. The radio should boot up and function at this point.

Next, refer to gatorbait's thread on "ghosting" a radio.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AD0JA For This Useful Post:

Dubs (Mar 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSPD View Post
    I think because a bunch of cheap P7200's with P25 Trunking and AES/DES popped up for $25 apiece on ebay.

I bought one and it was minty but RPM 14C wouldn't talk to it.
    Hence the reason for the downgrade firmware files. Rolls it back to something usable by those of use who can't afford [$$$] the latest revision software. I'm using RPM R10b07.
    Gatorbait3014
    Retired Master Two-Way Radio Master Technician & System Engineer (34+ years)

My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.

Thanks

One of them says FDMA, I wonder if it will show TDMA if it's on a Phase II system?
    That's a cool trick that I had never seen before. I tried it on my XG75P on a known Phase II system. It doesn't change to TDMA, but it DOES show which Slot is being used

Thanks

I never trust anything on RR unless I've confirmed it myself. But thanks for the info, hopefully we can clear up the varying information on Phase II for the 7200.

Here's something I found out:

Enable the FCC Menu using RPM
    Navigate to and select the FCC Menu on the P7200
    It will start scrolling through information (RX Freq, TX Freq, etc)
    Press the M button four times with a one second pause between each press
    Scroll down, hidden options and info will be revealed (the first one is an option to go into Burn App mode)
    I bought a couple of these and here are the results. They are not Option 47 enabled and do not receive TDMA. The display shows "FDMA" in the hidden options. I have a P7300 that does have Option 47 enabled and the hidden option shows "FDMA" with no traffic and shows SLOT 1 or 2 when receiving TDMA traffic. The P7200 just continues to show "FDMA" when traffic is present on that talk group and the radio remains silent. The hardware revision on both of the P7200 radios that I received is version JA. There is no trick to making these receive TDMA other than buying the feature from a Harris dealer (if Harris will still sell the feature). They are still a very good deal at $25 a pop and handle simulcast very well. The last time I purchased the feature, it was $250 and was easy to buy it for an M7300 and the P7300 through a Harris dealer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rescue161 For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Mar 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
    I bought a couple of these and here are the results. They are not Option 47 enabled and do not receive TDMA. The display shows "FDMA" in the hidden options. I have a P7300 that does have Option 47 enabled and the hidden option shows "FDMA" with no traffic and shows SLOT 1 or 2 when receiving TDMA traffic. The P7200 just continues to show "FDMA" when traffic is present on that talk group and the radio remains silent. The hardware revision on both of the P7200 radios that I received is version JA. There is no trick to making these receive TDMA other than buying the feature from a Harris dealer (if Harris will still sell the feature). They are still a very good deal at $25 a pop and handle simulcast very well. The last time I purchased the feature, it was $250 and was easy to buy it for an M7300 and the P7300 through a Harris dealer.
    And you downgraded the firmware to R02A26? Just to confirm
    If so, thank you for confirming this info.

Thanks

Damn! Was hoping these actually did work with receiving Phase 2.

Thanks

Is this seller actually shipping out P7200's with RJB revisions and SD 12195 or is it just a pot luck of what version you are sent?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TRS View Post
    Is this seller actually shipping out P7200's with RJB revisions and SD 12195 or is it just a pot luck of what version you are sent?
    You can message the seller and request what SD code you want before you purchase. Otherwise it's whatever they pull out of the barrel.

The latest revision I was able to obtain is a rev JA SD: 13264

Even if these don't do phase II, they're still a great deal for the price especially considering they are 700/800 versus the old P7100s that only work on 800.

Thanks

Yes. I downgraded to R02A26. The reason some people thought they were hearing a Phase 2 TG is because someone on the system with a real radio affiliated with a Phase 1 radio, or a radio that was programmed incorrectly, and it tore the TG down to Phase 1.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rescue161 For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Mar 15, 2019)

Thanks

Anyone figure out what the hyper-terminal command is to allow a scan model to be converted to a system model with a front cover swap?.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRS For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Mar 16, 2019),jrothwell (Mar 16, 2019),splinter34 (Mar 16, 2019)

Thanks

Yes. I downgraded to R02A26. The reason some people thought they were hearing a Phase 2 TG is because someone on the system with a real radio affiliated with a Phase 1 radio, or a radio that was programmed incorrectly, and it tore the TG down to Phase 1.
    Just out of curiosity, did yours have Revision RJB or RJA on the back and was the SD in the 12 or 13 range?

Thanks

Here is a copy of the post that Gatorbait3014 posted previously.

My two P7200's which receive Phase-2 are hardware revision " N2 " radios. Others I have either seen personally or been informed of via e-mail are revision L and M radios. Everyone who has radios which are hardware revision K4 or earlier have been unsuccessful in getting this exploit to work.

That pretty much says it all.

Thanks

The two that I bought were RJA. On the sticker on the back, one reads "RT" and the other is "RJB."

A friend of mine bought one and it has RH7 and the sticker on his reads "RS."

Thanks

Edit: Tried to edit, but more than 10 minutes had passed. This post includes the SD.

The two that I bought were RJA. On the sticker on the back, one reads "RT" with an SD of 10254 and the other is "RJB" and the SD is 12195.

A friend of mine bought one and it has RH7 and the sticker on his reads "RS" with an SD of 11245.

Thanks

So, is the hardware version only shown in the menu of the radio or is there a way to tell by the back sticker?

Thanks

Default Using An Inexpensive P7200 As A Monitor Receiver (Scanner) - Firmware Changes Required

How many talk-groups can you have in a scan list with this radio?

Thanks

Guys,

I noticed that this seller offers Tyco P7200 radios for $25 (blue screen bezel) and Harris P7200 (white screen bezel) radios for $20. Which one is better?

White one offers this feature set 01 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 12 14 22 23 29 and features DES sticker on the back, but blue one?
    [I][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#696969]Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell. [U]Especially those[/U] who also love PL-259 connectors.[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Thanks

Edit: Tried to edit, but more than 10 minutes had passed. This post includes the SD.

The two that I bought were RJA. On the sticker on the back, one reads "RT" with an SD of 10254 and the other is "RJB" and the SD is 12195.

A friend of mine bought one and it has RH7 and the sticker on his reads "RS" with an SD of 11245.
    So under the H/W REV they both show JA,correct?

In either case,nothing other than K4 or later would work without option 47 enabled.

Bummer