Thread: Motorola acquires Avtec

Thanks

Thanks

Well, that will certainly limit opportunities for competition.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 496 Posts

Borg strikes again!
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 1,582 Posts

Glad I don't work for Bearcom anymore. The Avtec Scout consoles are fairly popular in this area. I can only imagine the horrific fate this product is about to suffer. Motorola will acquire Bearcom soon, too. When that turning point occurs, the customers will be the ones who will be screwed. (They already suffer enough with Bearcom)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Apr 17, 2019),com501 (Mar 11, 2019),Fatboy (Mar 14, 2019),mshelby (Mar 11, 2019),techman (Mar 16, 2019)

Thanks

RIP AVTEC!! It was nice knowing ya

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darnallj For This Useful Post:

com501 (Mar 11, 2019),Fatboy (Mar 14, 2019),Mars (Mar 11, 2019),mpron (Apr 12, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 367 Posts

Unfortunately with the Trump regime nobody seems to care about potential antitrust violations.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

com501 (Mar 11, 2019),Mars (Mar 11, 2019),MTS2000DES (Mar 11, 2019),romanrobles (Apr 17, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Mar 12, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    Unfortunately with the Trump regime nobody seems to care about potential antitrust violations.
    Ah, but don't you see, this is all a part of "Making America Great Again"!
    By eliminating unnecessary competition, this equates to less regulation as less vendors are here to confuse the consumer, easier choices means streamlined billing and invoicing! It's all designed to provide a better customer experience!
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MTS2000DES For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Apr 17, 2019),com501 (Mar 11, 2019),Fatboy (Mar 14, 2019),Mars (Mar 11, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Mar 12, 2019)

Thanks

Look at the big picture here - this was done so that MotoTRBO has in-house consoles. That, and cheaper, lower-end IP based dispatch consoles for conventional without having to sell people an entire K-Core.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    The Avtec Scout consoles are fairly popular in this area.
    My first thought was "Does that mean my **** will start working or the Avtec users' **** will stop working?".

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 120Comm For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Mar 12, 2019),Mars (Mar 11, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    Look at the big picture here - this was done so that MotoTRBO has in-house consoles. That, and cheaper, lower-end IP based dispatch consoles for conventional without having to sell people an entire K-Core.
    Or it could be to kill off a major competitor to P25 customers who don't want to piss away $70 grand a piece on MCC7500s when they could buy an Avteq. You know, like they killed Vertex Standard off? A company that's history is rich in doing everything to be a monopoly isn't acquiring things to make it more cost effective to do business with them. They do everything to eliminate competition. Eventually they will migrate to a SINGLE platform. The MCC is that platform.

I'm seeing the same thing on the CAD side. My CAD vendor (Central Square) bought the key players in their markets, TriTech is the way forward. Those of us with OSSI are going to migrated over eventually and they've already stopped selling OSSI.

As I said, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! Less competition is a good thing! Less choices mean less confusion! Sole source contracts means less overhead for government purchasing departments! It's all gravy train boys!
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MTS2000DES For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Apr 17, 2019),Bill_G (Mar 14, 2019),escomm (Mar 12, 2019),Mars (Mar 11, 2019),Navy_BOFH (Mar 15, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000DES View Post
    Or it could be to kill off a major competitor to P25 customers who don't want to piss away $70 grand a piece on MCC7500s when they could buy an Avteq. You know, like they killed Vertex Standard off? A company that's history is rich in doing everything to be a monopoly isn't acquiring things to make it more cost effective to do business with them. They do everything to eliminate competition. Eventually they will migrate to a SINGLE platform. The MCC is that platform.

I'm seeing the same thing on the CAD side. My CAD vendor (Central Square) bought the key players in their markets, TriTech is the way forward. Those of us with OSSI are going to migrated over eventually and they've already stopped selling OSSI.

As I said, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! Less competition is a good thing! Less choices mean less confusion! Sole source contracts means less overhead for government purchasing departments! It's all gravy train boys!
    I think they were seeing all that lost profit from people buying AVTEC equipment for TRBO systems that they said "lets get this". It's also a way for them to work their way back into the railroad market, which they foolishly abandoned over a decade ago.

Judge lest ye be judged, I realize the history we're looking at, but lets look positively on this until there is a bonafide reason not to.

Thanks

Name a mid-tier console that Motorola has... that someone would buy... and not have problems. (MIP? MCC5500?.... fail)

Avtec was a good buy if their intention is to capture the mid-tier market with an open-standard platform.

Another one Harris screwed-up on. Harris made Avtec's quest to get manufacturer certification impossible and weren't willing to work with them towards a partnership. Name a mid-tier Harris console? *crickets.* Folks either went Avtec or Zetron.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to phantom For This Useful Post:

Mars (Mar 12, 2019)

Thanks

I received some information from a Canadian company called InterTalk. They make dispatch console systems. Their website and brochure are a bit light on technical details such as interfaces they support. Anyone worked with them?

Thanks

I think they were seeing all that lost profit from people buying AVTEC equipment for TRBO systems that they said "lets get this". It's also a way for them to work their way back into the railroad market, which they foolishly abandoned over a decade ago.

Judge lest ye be judged, I realize the history we're looking at, but lets look positively on this until there is a bonafide reason not to.
    Doubtful IMO, Motorola was already getting paid license and royalty fees for the wireline connection that only they and 2 other companies have access to. Also sincerely doubting they give 2 ishts about the RR market considering AAR settled on NXDN like a decade ago for their roadmap forward.

Thanks

When I heard they got Mot blessing to connect to a core I knew they wouldnt last long and fully figured Mot would scoop them up. I would think there are some antitrust issues with this buy though...time will tell. Avtec made some great products.

Thanks

You take the money and run!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EM36 View Post
    I would think there are some antitrust issues with this buy though...time will tell.
    The armchair lawyers on this site never cease to amuse me.

Seems the only antitrust suits out there relate to service providers and utilities.

Thanks

The armchair lawyers on this site never cease to amuse me.

Seems the only antitrust suits out there relate to service providers and utilities.
    I don’t see the problem with someone being concerned about a lack of competition. I think it’s greasy and unnecessary for Motorola to buy out anything they consider a threat. They’re a disgusting corporation which should be put on their knees and shot in the back of the metaphorical head.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I don’t see the problem with someone being concerned about a lack of competition. I think it’s greasy and unnecessary for Motorola to buy out anything they consider a threat. They’re a disgusting corporation which should be put on their knees and shot in the back of the metaphorical head.
    Well, with all due respect, due to your past experiences you are considerably biased against Motorola. Again, with all due respect.

Thanks

Well, with all due respect, due to your past experiences you are considerably biased against Motorola. Again, with all due respect.
    There’s no respect. Stop being two-faced.