Thread: EFJ Encryption vs. Motorola

Thanks

Default EFJ Encryption vs. Motorola

While working to implement Motorola subs on an EFJ System, I've run into a stumbling block and I'm looking for confirmation of my findings and maybe even a work around that I've missed.

The EFJ System has two keys, each using a different algo. From what I've been able to see by examining an EFJ subscriber, they are able to enable both hardware/software encryption at the same time. Such a configuration option allows for duplication of the SLN/CKR, which presents issues for integrating a Motorola subscriber. Of course they are using SLN/CKR 1.

Thus far, I've not been able to discover the logic used to determine what keys are used where. It seems that even inside an agency, there is a random mix of the two algos. So it's not like LE uses one also and EMS/Fire uses another.

So in order for a Moto sub to use both keys, the only option would be to appeal to the vendor/administrator to reconsider their key model, which we all know how that will end......

Thanks

First you will need to verify the algos are compatible. If they are not then your finished. If they are then you need the KID/ALGO/KEY information. The rest is just programming. It wont matter if the user is using hardware or software based encryption. As far as the system is concerned its the same thing like using a mobile or a portable the system doesnt care what the source is.

Thanks

CKR is just the position of the KID/Key in the radios list of keys

Thanks

Understood. The algos are ADP/DES. Where I'm stuck is how to configure/keyload both an ADP key and a DES key on a Motorola (with a properly equipped UCM/MACE of course) both with a CKR of 1.

It seems the EFJ subs don't have a problem here since I can enable software and hardware encryption on a per channel basis and each key can have a CKR of 1 (different key sets as I believe they call it).

Thanks

Understood. The algos are ADP/DES. Where I'm stuck is how to configure/keyload both an ADP key and a DES key on a Motorola (with a properly equipped UCM/MACE of course) both with a CKR of 1.

It seems the EFJ subs don't have a problem here since I can enable software and hardware encryption on a per channel basis and each key can have a CKR of 1 (different key sets as I believe they call it).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wdatkinson View Post

The SLN (P25 standard term) or CKR (Motorola proprietary term) is just the slot the algorithm id / key id / key variable combination lives in. The SLN/CKR is not transmitted over the air and is there so you can have multiple keys with the same key id. Only the algorithm id and key id is transmitted over the air.

You can set up:

sln: 0x05, algid: 0xAA (ADP), keyid: 0x??, key variable: xxxx
    sln: 0x06, algid: 0x81 (DES-OFB), keyid: 0x??, key variable: yyyy

Thanks

The EFJ System has two keys, each using a different algo. From what I've been able to see by examining an EFJ subscriber, they are able to enable both hardware/software encryption at the same time. Such a configuration option allows for duplication of the SLN/CKR, which presents issues for integrating a Motorola subscriber. Of course they are using SLN/CKR 1.

Thus far, I've not been able to discover the logic used to determine what keys are used where. It seems that even inside an agency, there is a random mix of the two algos. So it's not like LE uses one also and EMS/Fire uses another.

So in order for a Moto sub to use both keys, the only option would be to appeal to the vendor/administrator to reconsider their key model, which we all know how that will end......
    Wait, are they using two different algorithms on the same channel, and it is just based on the luck of the draw either the ADP or DES key is used? And the EFJ radio is trying both keysets, the one in the software and the one in the hardware and using the one that works?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duggerd View Post
    sln: 0x05, algid: 0xAA (ADP), keyid: 0x??, key variable: xxxx
    sln: 0x06, algid: 0x81 (DES-OFB), keyid: 0x??, key variable: yyyy
    Actually don't use SLN/CKR values 1 to 20 (0x01 to 0x14) - they are reserved (see appendix A):

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...20Draft508.pdf

Thanks

They aren't using multiple algos per channel. Each channel is strapped with either ADP or DES and then selected at the TG level in Armada.

Thank you for the additional information. For some reason I was under the impression that SLN/CKR needed to be unique. I'll look in the EFJ sub that I have and see what the KID is set to for each key and if I'm thinking correctly, I can then copy those values in my Motorola sub.

Thanks

They aren't using multiple algos per channel. Each channel is strapped with either ADP or DES and then selected at the TG level in Armada.
    Ah, good - I am less horrified then.

Thank you for the additional information. For some reason I was under the impression that SLN/CKR needed to be unique. I'll look in the EFJ sub that I have and see what the KID is set to for each key and if I'm thinking correctly, I can then copy those values in my Motorola sub.
    Nope, SLN/CKR values only need to be unique within the radio (assuming one cryptographic system like hardware encryption or software encryption). The meaning of SLN and CKR if you don't know are:

SLN = Storage Location Number

CKR = Common Key Reference

Also disclaimer that both ADP (RC4, 40 bit) and DES-OFB (56 bit) have been broken in practice and should not be relied upon anymore for security. In fact the DES portion of the P25 standard has been withdrawn (ADP/RC4 was never part of the P25 standard). It is strongly suggested that only AES-256 is used now.

Thanks

Ill have to try a KID of 1234 ADP and a KID of 1234 AES (hardware UCM) and see what happens. I suspect duggerd is 100% correct the Moto radios will look at both the KID and the algo ID before attempting decode. Ill post the results soonish.

Thanks

I still have a KID conflict for ADP with another system/agency in my KVL. I edited that key and moved it to a new KID (had re-enter the key, thank goodness I'm not dealing with AES). After that, I entered in new/unique SLN/CKR's and used KID #1 for both of the new keys. After editing my CP and adding the keys as well as strapping the appropriate channels, I set about keyloading. This is where things get a bit odd.

When I keyload, I get the normal high/low tone from the KVL, however, my APX7k emitted a single low tone and displayed KEY/ALG. But, going into my manual key selection, it appears to have loaded the keys. So I'm not quite sure what I have at this point. Unfortunately I'm out of range of the system I need to test with.

Thanks

Test results. Moto APX look at both the KID and ALGO. I was able to test both algos using the same KID. Im not sure how a ASTRO25 will work doing the same thing.

Thanks

I still have a KID conflict for ADP with another system/agency in my KVL. I edited that key and moved it to a new KID (had re-enter the key, thank goodness I'm not dealing with AES). After that, I entered in new/unique SLN/CKR's and used KID #1 for both of the new keys. After editing my CP and adding the keys as well as strapping the appropriate channels, I set about keyloading. This is where things get a bit odd.
    You shouldn't have key id conflicts at all, within the radio and keyloader you can have:

sln: 0x40, algid 0x84, keyid 0x01, and keyvar: xxxx

and

sln: 0x41, algid 0x84, keyid 0x01, and keyvar: xxxx (same as sln 0x40)

Also the algorithm id and key id are checked before decrypting, so that has to match what the transmitter is sending.

When I keyload, I get the normal high/low tone from the KVL, however, my APX7k emitted a single low tone and displayed KEY/ALG. But, going into my manual key selection, it appears to have loaded the keys. So I'm not quite sure what I have at this point. Unfortunately I'm out of range of the system I need to test with.
    Uh, I haven't encountered that before... I can't find reference to 'KEY/ALG' in the APX BSM/DSM/user manuals, or KVL manuals...

Do you get a keyfail tone when you have that key active?

Thanks

Uh, I haven't encountered that before... I can't find reference to 'KEY/ALG' in the APX BSM/DSM/user manuals, or KVL manuals...

Do you get a keyfail tone when you have that key active?
    Disregard that, that message is when a duplicated SLN/KID is loaded.

Thanks

I can't find reference to 'KEY/ALG' in the APX BSM/DSM/user manuals, or KVL manuals...
    That error occurs if you try to load a duplicated KID/AlgID pair into a different SLN.

The reason being is that on Rx, the radio sees the KID and AlgID over the air and automatically picks the matching key. So what is it supposed to do if you have two keys that match that KID/ AlgID pair? The radio doesn’t know which one is the intended key, so the solution to this problem was to enforce unique KID/AlgID pairs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    That error occurs if you try to load a duplicated KID/AlgID pair into a different SLN.

The reason being is that on Rx, the radio sees the KID and AlgID over the air and automatically picks the matching key. So what is it supposed to do if you have two keys that match that KID/ AlgID pair? The radio doesn’t know which one is the intended key, so the solution to this problem was to enforce unique KID/AlgID pairs.
    You are absolutely correct. My mind and fingers were out of sync when I wrote this:

sln: 0x40, algid 0x84, keyid 0x01, and keyvar: xxxx

and

sln: 0x41, algid 0x84, keyid 0x01, and keyvar: xxxx (same as sln 0x40)
    I still had my mind on the original post with ADP and DES (different algorithm IDs).

Also the error message is not 'KEY/ALG' but 'KeyID/AlgoID' (didn't recognize it at first)

Thanks

Harris works in a similar way as the EFJ. I can load an ARC4 key and a DES key with the same KID into my XG-75 and it works fine. Mother Moto has decided however not to let us do that... (at least in Astro/25 series radios).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forts View Post
    Harris works in a similar way as the EFJ. I can load an ARC4 key and a DES key with the same KID into my XG-75 and it works fine. Mother Moto has decided however not to let us do that... (at least in Astro/25 series radios).
    That is strange - I can't understand why they have done that...

Thanks

OK, so I just tested this out, Motorola will let you load a DES key and an ADP key with the same KeyID (or any other algos - as long as they are different)

The radio does bonk "DUPLICATE LID" at you as a warning, but both keys will still be loaded and will work.

It's just a warning, not an error as such.

Thanks

wdatkinson,

We ran into this a few months ago. On hardware encryption (DES). EFJ uses a different K.I.D. range. So if EFJ uses a KID of 1, Motorola radios would use KID 2?
    For some unknown reason ADP is not affected using the same KID?

Give this a try?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to WB9VLE For This Useful Post:

wdatkinson (Apr 15, 2019)

Thanks

Might be in EFJ code someone may have made a math error. Happens a lot when converting from hex to decimal etc. Hex treats 00 as a number decimal treats it as a place holder. If the code writer didnt take that into consideration the value could be out by 1.