Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I migrate from Astro Spectra to XTL5000? Why?

Thanks

It's my experience that the Astro Spectra can have two control heads as well.

I'm in the early stages of doing an install in my GMC Yukon. I have VHF and UHF high power XTL5000's with O5 control heads which will be the primary radios, with at least one of them having a control head in front driver's area of the truck and a second control head in the back cargo area. I also have a VHF mid-power Astro Spectra which I will use as a secondary radio. I have two W4 control heads on it and plan to to have one in the front and back as well.

-RF

Thanks

If you've got an XTS portable or otherwise plan to own one, consider an XTVA. They're dirt cheap, and so are 50W TPL amplifiers to suit.

With an external speaker and the W3-style handheld control head, it's almost as good as having a mobile. Plus it keeps your portable battery charged.

XTL or ASTRO Spectra is obviously a better bet in the house though, and space considerations might make having more than one of them in your vehicle impractical.

Thanks

I second the suggestion of an XTVA convertacom unit. It's really nice if you have an XTS5000 with FPP, so you can enter frequencies in the field with a mobile equivalent radio.

-RF

Thanks

I didn't think the FPP menu worked on the HHCH when you put an XTS5000 into an XTVA.

At least, if didn't work for me when I tried it many years ago on an F revision XTVA.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattSR For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Sep 12, 2019),syntrx (Sep 12, 2019)

Thanks

FPP doesn't work. If you press the button it'll give you an "unprogrammed button" beep.

But there's nothing to stop you taking the radio out, programming it and then dropping it back in when you're done.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to syntrx For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Sep 12, 2019)

Thanks

Yes, I should have mentioned that you can only access the FPP menu from the radio's keypad. The fact that the FPP option isn't available on the HHCH microphone on an XTVA was a HUGE disappointment to me when I first got one and set it up. This was especially frustrating as I had the XTVA located in the trunk of my BMW 325i and had the HHCH under the seat to have a stealth installation. Having to pull over the make channel setting changes was a big PITA!

I've been hoping that one of the radio gurus will find a way to get FPP to work from the HHCH, but now that it's an APX world, the interest level is probably not there as much.

-RF