Thread: Calling all Radio Texh - Waris RF adapter ID

Thanks
    Thanked 5,526 Times in 1,579 Posts

Default Calling all Radio Texh - Waris RF adapter ID

Hello fellow radio "texh"

So, there's thing that's been driving me nuttier than I am already. It's the proper RF adapter for the Waris (HT750/HT1250/HT1550) line. There's so much confusion and fail out there.

On eBay, there are three different styles of RF adapters available. I've had the pleasure of going through two different styles -- and being shipped the wrong style, only to be told I'm "doing something wrong". I'm in the market for a few more and others have asked me to order on their behalf. I don't want to get dicked again, especially when people are shipping to Canada (excessive fees, no option to return and potentially waiting MONTHS).

Here are the two adapters I already have:

IMG_6778.jpgIMG_6779.jpg

The one with less threads (longer) fits properly. The shorter one does not fit whatsoever. No RF detected at port. That's the one I purchased where the **** told me "I'm doing something wrong". As you can see, it doesn't even fit on the radio properly, either:

IMG_6781.jpg

When I use the proper one, it fits fine:

IMG_6784.jpg

OK, so order the one that fits, right? I did. And these sellers all seem to ship the wrong garbage. I'm wondering if they have them listed wrong or if there's a different radio (maybe even old/new generation Waris?) where the shorter adapter is legit?

The antenna port on the Waris is not the same weirdo bolt the MOTOTRBO 2.0 portables use. There's actually space down below for the RF pin to make contact:

IMG_6782.jpg

Which brings us to this adapter, which is also advertised as being for the HT750/1250/1550:

style-1.jpg

How is this even possible? The "bolt" would make contact with the threads only. Can't have ground plane+RF, no matter how they have the weird RF port configured.

So confusing. It doesn't need to be.

All I know for certain is the longer adapter I have ordered in the past works properly, but I'm hesitating on ordering it because I don't want the same nonsense as before, where I receive the wrong one. Does anyone know WTF the deal is here, or where to get (reliably) the right adapter? Cost is a bit of an issue, because most American sellers (WHY guys, WHY!?!?) charge $40+ for shipping to Canada. It's like $8 for a USPS first class envelope. My guys won't pay that, and I don't blame them.

Thanks for any assistance. Feel free to complain about the nonsense eBay sellers in this thread, too

Thanks

And I just found this style:

style-2.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-BNC-Ant...0AAOSw4vJapqlC

Are these people retarded? There's no way that pin can reach the hole down in the jack. The collar on top of the radio (plastic housing) would also prevent it from screwing in even 1/3 the way it needs to go/reach to get there.

Am I the only one who has had so much difficulty in sourcing a correct adapter?

Thanks

This looks promising - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302863430486

Free shipping to US, not sure of Canada. I'd happily re-ship them for you.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    not true does not constitute false

Thanks

Thanks, rainbowpenguin. That does indeed look like the same/correct adapter. I'm just following up on one other potential (local guy has spare parts) source. I may take you up on that if the source is wrong.

I guess the whole point of this thread is "beware". Not as simple as a SMA->BNC adapter. And even those don't fit right half the time

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Viper1-6 (Apr 03, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 746 Posts

I can't say as I have never ordered any adapters from anywhere except either Motorola or Harris but I feel your pain. Same here, if you find an adapter cheaply that you need, get it to me or let me order it and I will re-ship from my place.
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

Thanks

That looks like the adapter for the Motorola P1225.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    And I just found this styl
    style-2.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-BNC-Ant...0AAOSw4vJapqlC

Are these people retarded? There's no way that pin can reach the hole down in the jack. The collar on top of the radio (plastic housing) would also prevent it from screwing in even 1/3 the way it needs to go/reach to get there.

Am I the only one who has had so much difficulty in sourcing a correct adapter?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JMINN699 For This Useful Post:

sataraid1 (Apr 13, 2019)

Thanks

Wiscomm has the correct one:

https://shopwiscomm.com/5885705M02-H...-P2035126.aspx

I believe the shorter one is for the GP300 (HLN9756), here's a drawing to compare: http://rfsearch.rfindustries.com/drawings/RFB-1141.pdf

Thanks

I started looking for a couple of these to add to my collection a while ago and I thought I found information confirming the RF Industries RFB1141 was the correct adapter to get. I have not gotten any yet to be able to confirm one way or the other. Mars, is that one you have tried?

Thanks

OK then to make this all more complicated, what would be the correct adapter to use on a MTX1550 that appears to have an internal centre pin on the radio side? But all of these are/were shipped with antennas that do not have any SMA-style centre pin so they would be "hot thread" like those MotoTRBO 2.0 portables... this is the case with the black housing FM IS and the blue housing CSA IS variants of the MTX1550/4550.

mtx1550.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 746 Posts

The Wiscomm part number is correct for all the Waris series radios with that configuration. 5885705M02.
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

box (Apr 09, 2019),Mars (Apr 09, 2019)

Thanks

That "bolt" style is definitely wrong... but in a semi-related coincidence since you posted about our Ukrainian friend's XPR adapters... that bolt style one is what we used to make one here before we realized he was making them. The knurled area has a bit of a "lip" we cut and filed down which allowed it to fit, and then added the ground braid to squeeze behind the battery with a ring terminal over the BNC connector... works pretty well so far but not "perfect".

Just thought it would be an interesting story since "something" fits that adapter.... sorta...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 17, 2019)

Thanks

Navy, man did I ever try to come up with a permanent solution for this piece of **** bolt jack. I sourced the p/n for the SMA jack in the 7550e IS, only to discover the actual PCB was designed differently (SMA jack couldn't be placed/spacing different) and Moto refused to sell it to me in the first place. They were fucked in the head for designing such a useless POS. Why deviate from the XPR6550? Idiots.

The only "pure" way to take RF from the PA and put it into the service monitor or elsewhere, is the bastard MS147 Hirose adapter, which does not seat well (in a dynamic environment). On the bench is the only realistic place for it. But at least it doesn't leak.

The IS radio is nice, but if I recall, it's limited to low power (2W?) and I don't believe it has bluetooth as that's not an IS approved function. I could be wrong, just going off memory. It's definitely built much better than the regular 7550. the PCB is thicker and the housing is reminiscent of the brick shithouse ASTRO Saber Ruggedized units

Thanks

Also beyond the lack of Bluetooth, the 7550 IS use the 6500 series battery pack form factor, not the 7500(e)/3500(e) series (FM/UL/non-cert) batteries which is another major chassis difference. It's a mess when I have environments running a mix of 7550 IS and 7550e UL models, and users (sometimes even rental shops) aren't paying attention when they throw batteries into a kit.

There also isn't technically a "7550e IS" (blue housing CSA/ATEX approved with the proper SMA connector) out yet as far as I know, otherwise that would imply it has Wi-Fi and I'd take that over the lack of Bluetooth for the mass provisioning benefits.
    The 7550 IS RF power is rated 5 Watts VHF and 4 Watts UHF. This was another point when I switched a couple facilities off MTX1550/MTX4550 because those were limited to 1 Watt as well as the VHF 1550 model being limited to narrowband 11K0F3E (12.5k spacing) which sounded quiet with repeaters expecting 4kHz deviation 16K0F3E, and RF power was an issue with users frequently needing to transmit from inside metal MCC buildings, etc.

In the end the 7550 IS model is a relatively niche product for Motorola in the grand scheme of things, even though it's the model I handle most frequently due to the industry around here.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TRENT310 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 17, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Just finished debunking/confirming this one. It's a PIECE OF CRAP. The company which sells it:

Custom Cables Group LLC
    27305 Live Oak Rd Unit 215
    Castaic CA 91384-4520

eBay: customcablesgroupllc

They used deception to sell me something that does not work with the product they're advertising it supports.

Direct link to video if embedding does not work.

AVOID THIS COMPANY. RETARDED. Their response to me on eBay: "We have been selling this adapter for quite some time with out any issues"

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (Apr 19, 2019),Jack1424 (Yesterday),PSEhub (Yesterday),TheCave (Apr 19, 2019)

Thanks

So APX900 1000 4000 SMA NUT CUMs won't lay down on an XPR7550?

Thanks

2880658Z08 is only "CONNECTOR SMA" only 2815696H01 is a "NUT *** RF CONTACTS".

Have you tried 2880658Z08?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhub View Post
    2880658Z08 is only "CONNECTOR SMA" only 2815696H01 is a "NUT *** RF CONTACTS".

Have you tried 2880658Z08?
    Different board design. Does not fit. There are pictures on the forum.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Yesterday)

Thanks

Well if you want "real" DMR radios, hold on to XPR6000 series as long as you can, and then buy Tait TP9300.

Tait TP9300 is best "public safety grade" DMR. XPR6550 was actually too good so Motorola had to "fix" it with Gen2, the plastic, lack of PSM, low audio output, antennas that look distinguishably less impressive than APX, etc.

Even NX5000 will give you a little more public safety "feel", the volume channel pots, everything.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

Mars (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhub View Post
    Well if you want "real" DMR radios, hold on to XPR6000 series as long as you can, and then buy Tait TP9300.

Tait TP9300 is best "public safety grade" DMR. XPR6550 was actually too good so Motorola had to "fix" it with Gen2, the plastic, lack of PSM, low audio output, antennas that look distinguishably less impressive than APX, etc.
    Agreed, but unfortunately people are screwed if they need the following features:

- AES
    - Audio levelling
    - RAS
    - Motorola proprietary Tier 2 trunking formats

Believe it or not, all of these options are used on our ham system.

Itís a shame there werenít standardized Tier 2 timeslot trunking options as well as infrastructure protection mechanisms.

Itís also pathetic, Motorola has chosen not to implement standard features such as talker alias and GPS w/Voice.

Itís also really really lame, Motorola completely ignored the GPS functionality within their own units and itís pretty much useless without third party OB/server software. At least with HYT The information can be sent to another user as a text message, or embedded in the transmission and the receiving radio can make use of it.

Thanks

It’s also really really lame, Motorola completely ignored the GPS functionality within their own units and it’s pretty much useless without third party OB/server software. At least with HYT The information can be sent to another user as a text message, or embedded in the transmission and the receiving radio can make use of it.
    @Mars, very curious about this comment. We have found the only way to do somethings is via the GOB, but in general GPS And Enhanced GPS work well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phonebuff View Post
    @Mars, very curious about this comment. We have found the only way to do somethings is via the GOB, but in general GPS And Enhanced GPS work well.
    Sorry, Iím a little confused as to what youíre asking of me.

There is no way to use the GPS in those radios, to send GPS telemetry to another radio on the network. Itís not built into the native functionality of the radio.

i.e. I want to send you a text message of my exact GPS location. Or maybe I want you to see how far away I am from you, when I am transmitting, and you are receiving my embedded telemetry.

Maybe I want Geo-fencing, in the sense my radio will roam to a given site, when Iím at a certain location.

All kinds of potential for those radios, but Motorola left it out.

Thanks

To actually be able to entertain all vendors/be vendor agnostic, and have a decent level of security and control, you will need a standardized system, Tier 3, P25 Phase II, or Tetra. Even NXDN.

I agree the problem is with the standards, but no matter what, you are stuck with a system.

Its like trying to do piece meal IT and use random PCs with scattered prosumer NAS, separate dashboards for Wifi, UPS, Switches, when you should just break down and buy Solarwinds and use Active Directory and Okta and draw some lines in the sand.

RAS is not real authentication, its like a PSK for wifi vs EAP chaining with real user and device authentication. To block a radio, you must reprogram the master, and essentially reboot your entire "system" each time. And you cannot change RAS keys in the real world, because "Migration" mode only works with radios that have NO RAS, not radios with an incorrect RAS key.

That being said, Tier 3 will give you the control you need, and allow you to purchase AES capable, public safety grade subscribers at a reasonable cost (TP9300).

Motorola realizes that no matter what to get any kind of control from any other vendor you are stuck getting a real system (even if its NXDN), and so they offer very nice entry level APX900 so that you might as well just go P25, if every which way you are stuck building a real system.

You can only set such high expectations for autonomous, plug and play, unmanaged, decentralized products. At some point you'll need to move on from "parental controls" and prosumer freebie dashboards and invest in an NMS, RMM, IAM/SSO, and MDM solution. There is no way around it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

Mars (Yesterday)

Thanks

Thank you, I understand your point now.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to phonebuff For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phonebuff View Post
    Thank you, I understand your point now.
    Have to cram in all of the brand placements.