Thread: Motorola cables with powder coating

Thanks

Default Motorola cables with powder coating

Does anyone know whats with some of Motorola's cable like mic cords that have a powdery looking mess on the cable ? Also does anyone have a good way to make the cable look not so messy with all that powdery stuff all over or get rid of it?
    s-l64.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 840 Posts

Buy a new cable? The powder residue show up when the cable usually has been stored improperly or is very old.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

Thanks

The powder is corn starch. It was placed on old rubber cables to absorb humidity in the package. It hasnt been used in a long long time. Today if needed a silicone pack is placed in the packaging.

Thanks

It seems some of the new cables from Motorola still like XTL ones still have it. Is it ok to remove that stuff or better to leave it when out of packaging and being used ? I plan on having a O3 tucked into a center glove compartment when not being used . Is that a situation where that stuff would actually benefit the cables life ? Then how does one remove that corn starch from the cable ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to code3cop For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Apr 05, 2019)

Thanks

I have a significant amount of new items coming from Motorola with powder on them. This includes APX items such as mic cords and control head cables. The mic cords are pretty bad sometimes leaving visible dust on black vehicle interiors. It is not an age or storage issue if brand new APX mobiles have this. I have learned to just deal with it or wipe it off with a rag.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crazyboy For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 05, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 421 Posts

Default Motorola cables with powder coating

My brand new mic came with a tag attached explaining that the coating was normal. I used a wet wipe to clean it off.
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 611 Posts

Is it documented anywhere that it's actually corn starch and not talc powder? The NIB microphones and GCAI cables I have that shipped late last year came with no explanatory tags, but having seen it since the mid-aughts I'm personally used to it. The documentation would be nice to have in case anyone comes in screaming CAAANCER because of talc powder exposure.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

The plastics and rubbers aren't much safer to be exposed to.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRS For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 05, 2019),motorola_otaku (Apr 08, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    Is it documented anywhere that it's actually corn starch and not talc powder?
    back when the cables actually used rubber (mocom70 era) it was corn starch. We had a tech that was allergic to it. If they have gone back to something similar it may be the same or some new chemical they have made up ( possibly fentanyl as that would possibly explain some of Motos recent behaviors LOL). But seriously the power may be there to remove or absorb excess cyndrol oil used on the plastics to give them the shiny new appearance. Either way a damp cloth should remove it.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

apx (Apr 06, 2019),code3cop (Apr 06, 2019),com501 (Apr 06, 2019),p47r4ck (Apr 12, 2019)

Thanks

White powder huh? Maybe thats why the cartels are so interested in Moto gear