Thread: Motorola SSE 5000

christophereastman No Longer Registered

Default Motorola SSE 5000

Does anyone know if the SE 5000 supports QCII?

I believe it's essentially an XTS 5000 in a Saber body, but I have not been able to find much information...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,299 Times in 1,797 Posts

Don't mean to be the party pooper, but stay away from the SSE5000.

There's some versions which are useless (alpha controllers) and firmware is limited.

Kind of like the Saber Si.

Thanks

SSE is a very limited run for NYPD.. It has a certain cool factor but other than that its pretty limited ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christophereastman View Post

I believe it's essentially an XTS 5000 in a Saber body, but I have not been able to find much information...
    Yes, with the correct firmware it does. I think v9 is the minimum - whatever release added QCII to the Astro25 line.
    Last edited by Integrator; Nov 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

christophereastman No Longer Registered

Very useful information. Thank you, all.

Mars, please excuse my ignorance... What's an alpha controller?

Neo No Longer Registered

I'd say 85-95% of SSE5000's for sale on eBay and various forums contain the alpha controller board Mars speaks of. This Alpha controller is a pre- production CPU processor for the radio. This Alpha controller (or mistake on the PCB) is missing one of the needed data lines that connects to the flashrom.

I know of only 1 SSE5000 that contains the proper production controller. The other 5 or so have this Alpha controller. The problem with these SSE5000 with Alpha controllers is they can not be firmware upgraded. If you upgrade the firmware, it will instantly brick the radio. So your stuck with early crappy Astro25 firmware with loads of missing features and crap loads of bugs with the DSP and Host.

SSE5000 is really only for the serious Astro collector. They do work, so collectors don't let that stop ya from picking one up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 664 Posts

Chris, the more generic answer is that with software and microprocessor firmware releases, and even hardware designs, there are several stages in the timeline of it's engineering development.

Alpha is the first "lab" version of things in that they have only been prototypes in the laboratory until that point. Alpha is usually when the investors get called in to ooh and aah over it so they can see their money was well spent. Alpha is also usually the stage where the sales teams are given models to create ad slicks and literature for. Needless to say, at the Alpha stage there is usually a significant number of bugs and problems present and these are documented and fixed, and all the features the sales team promised but aren't there get added in to produce the "Beta" release.

Beta releases are usually pretty much what the final product will look like and act like. Traditionally at this stage models were given to dedicated but still non-public testing and analysis teams to put the product through it's paces and find any minor bugs left. Then, usually these were corrected and the teams were given back a "Release Candidate" version. This should be exactly what the final version is to be save a few last minor bugs. Then the final "Production Release" version or 1.0 would be issued.

At least that's how it USED to be. Now, the entire process has been subverted and short-circuited by lazy-*** engineers and greedy salescritters, so now Beta stuff is released directly to the public, eliminating the RC versions entirely. Stuff is released bugs and all, letting the general public at large figure them out. Problems are corrected with subsequent service packs and updates. This crap started with Windows 95 or 98, i think. That's when the general public first ever heard the "Beta" term associated with software releases. Remember, BETA stands for:

B = Bugs
    E = Enclosed
    T = Treat
    A = Accordingly

Last edited by Alpha; Nov 24, 2012 at 03:37 AM.

Thanks

Me thinks Mars is slipping... a thread about an ASTRO 25 radio in the ASTRO forum??
    Andrew

Thanks

This is the ASTRO25 forum. I don't recall moving anything from the ASTRO forum, unless one of the other mods did??

And yes, I am getting a little tired of moving posts from forum to forum. People need to quit drinking their stupid juice and start paying attention to where they're posting.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

I tries to move it but Forum Runner barfed. Perhaps it did move it after all.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Ah, I thought I was losing control of my faculties there for a minute, I'm sure I double-checked before I posted, thanks Cyrus!

While we're at it, can we get another "S" in the title?
    Andrew

Thanks

SSE5000. Not SE 5000

Yes it supports QCII.

Thanks

I have SSE5000 4M Bravo 0122. Is it BETA version?