Thread: Commander Technologies

Thanks

Default Commander Technologies

Anyone had any experience with commander technologies antennas .... supposed to be manufactured identically to the old Phelps Dodge antennas.

Thanks

I've had a 455-7N up in the air at a calm site that's less than 1000 ft. AGL for a little less than 2 years. No problems, it seems to be a good performer.

The first one I got was bent in half, but I'll blame that on the shipping company rather than the manufacturer. The 2nd one they sent was fine.

Thanks

Commander was the company that made these for Celwave for the last few years that Celwave sold them. At some point Celwave decided to get out of making them in Connnecticut and started having Commander make them for them. Then they literally just discontinued them and Commander started selling them direct. They discontinued the pd200 in favor of making just the pd220 and the short 2.5db gain stick.

Their quality is surely better than Telewave but still out of about 30 antennas in the last year I've seen I've rejected 3-4 of them for poor workmanship. Cracks in fiberglass above the mounting screws at the base, missing or cracked epoxy/sikasil at the top cap/arrestor point, One that had poor return loss on delivery.

I do a return loss and vswr test on each out of the tube and to compare them to the Telewave plots are much better, certainly a higher Q antenna than the Telewaves. They have a much better radiation pattern also... It remains to be seen if they still have the Celwave/ Phelps Dodge issue of broken phasing wires at the first or second phasing tube, in the old days this was caused by them nicking the attaching wires when they mfg them. I've queried CTech about this and they say they no longer have this issue. Time will tell though...didn't always show up immediately. I've seen anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 years. The solder makes an annealed spot which causes the nick to make it crack/break usually at the top of the first phasing tube or at the top of the matching section in the base.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EM36 For This Useful Post:

Radioguy7268 (Apr 18, 2019)

Thanks

As an addition to the last post, if side mounted I would highly recommend a tip stabilizer. They will last forever. Top mounted of course this can't be done so much reduced life expectancy. Esp in northeast where we have high winds and icing in winter...