Thread: Vertex/Motorola Compatability for AES?

Thanks

Default Vertex/Motorola Compatability for AES?

I have a couple of XPR7550e's with AES - and a couple EVX-534s with AES (as part of the "enhancement" firmware released years back). Inputting the same key seems to not help - even between Simplex or "Repeater Capable" encryption. I am assuming it is DMR compliant between the two... but that I might have missed something on the Motorola or Vertex side.

The second issue I have is the radios in simplex don't want to talk to each other. The Vertex will talk to the Motorola - but not the other way around. This is in simplex without the "dual capacity" enabled on each radio - since I do not have a radio to use as the "timing master" as recommended. This is all meant to be communications for a specific use where AES is what is being aimed for - and without jumping to APXs and single-key AES and/or a KVL.

Any info is greatly appreciated. I feel like I am running around in circles trying to fix these issues that *shouldn't* be an issue.

Thanks

Navy; Check the legacy key check box in the TRBO CPS. When Moto implemented AES they did so before the DMR standard was in existence. My thought is that having that box checked is your issue.

Thanks

I checked the Secure menu and the individual channels and couldn't find a Legacy check box. Radios are on R2.9 firmware. That could explain my simplex issues as well though if something is set to Motorola proprietary instead of DMR standard.

Thanks

here is a link to a post about the legacy setting. it may have been eliminated in later DMR compliant firmware releases.
    https://cwh050.blogspot.com/2017/01/...or-to-r24.html

Thanks

Hmm makes me wonder now if the Vertex radios have a non-standard implementation of AES now.... though I have seen stories of Vertex and Hytera talking to each other.

This is becoming a struggle for me since the 7550s were very pricey but these Vertex radios are cheap enough to use... preferably without changing out everyone's audio accessories from Motorola when running encrypted.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 1,582 Posts

In the Motorola 5000/7000 series radios, support for the AES standard is not accessed via the codeplug settings. It’s a menu option within the subs. This menu option enables or disables (or should I say toggles Moto-proprietary/non-proprietary AES mode). It’s likely the Vertex is using the early, non-standard proprietary mode.

Menu—>Utilities—>Radio Settings:

IMG_6882.jpg

Disable this option, then try talking to the Vertex radios.

Note: this option is not the same as “AES Privacy”, which enables or disables AES encryption on a given channel.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Navy_BOFH (Apr 14, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks Mars. It looks like they moved the setting to the radio from the CPS.

Thanks

I'll be checking that out today! I am determined to figure out these issues since Motorola doesn't want to sell AES... and the Vertex radios are cheap enough to mess with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 14, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    Thanks Mars. It looks like they moved the setting to the radio from the CPS.
    Nothing with them makes any sense. You’d think this option would be prominent, in the channel settings, or maybe under security.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (Apr 16, 2019)