Thread: VRS-750 and AS setup

Thanks

Default VRS-750 and AS setup

I looked through all I could find on the forum and did not see an answer to my question. If it has been covered before sorry for bringing it back up. Now my dumb question.

What in the AS cps actually tells the VRS what personality it will be using when it is in use? I see nothing pointing it to a specific personality other than what is on the VRS Private Line tab.

VHF AS and UHF VRS-750.

Thanks for any help.

Tim
    KJ4DHF

Thanks

Its a matter of filling the correct fields in the correct order. Moto and others are real bad for not making easier to follow steps or basic templates to enable features or addon hardware.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

toolman60 (Apr 11, 2019)

Thanks

Notarola,

That for sure is the truth.
    I thought the VRS freq for the UHF portable was done in the AS CPS under the VRS personality tab,looks like I thought wrong. Now guess I need to beat the web for a srib to program the tx/rx freq in the VRS unless my 4008 rib will work. And find a programming cable or at least the female socket that will fit the connector on the front of the VRS.

Tim
    KJ4DHF

Thanks

No srib required. Been awhile since I used one and not in front of my programming computer so working off memory here. Under radio wide you need to enable vrs. There should be a vrs personality setting somewhere in the Astro cps.

Thanks

Thanks

nhfirefighter,

Thanks I already have that manual as a guide. I just a dumb country boy. I may be on to something now not sure. The VRS Personality tab in AS CPS is where I set my Frequency Band (UHF),Channel Spacing (12.5),Output Power (Low),Simplex Frequency (MHz) ( my portable tx/rx freq ) is all for the VRS 750 UHF R1.
    I will keep trying to figure out how all it works together one day. Happy that I do not have to have a smart rib for the rascal.

Tim
    KJ4DHF

Thanks

When you activate the VRS the freq is sent to the VRS radio through the VRS cable. This was to allow munti freq VRS operations with just one hardware VRS. The only thing you cannot do is change the VRS freq on a per channel basis. My guess is that too many regular users would get mixed up and think the VRS was not working.

Thanks

I am a little confused on what you are asking..

In the Astro Spectra CPS, you have already located where you can enter the VRS frequency, tone, bandwidth, etc. There is no programming to be done on the VRS750 itself.

Whatever channel on the Astro Spectra that you are sitting on is what the VRS750 will repeat when activated. If you have the "Channel Scan w/VRS" flash option, you can also scan with the VRS activated and it will repeat the scanned channels. Works great.

Thanks

NSPD,

Thanks for your help and information. You answered my question.QUOTE "Whatever channel on the Astro Spectra that you are sitting on is what the VRS750 will repeat when activated." I have 3 zones in my AS. 2 zones are set as rx only personalities. I was trying to figure out which conventional personality the VRS would use when active and point it to the one I wanted it to use. So I will set up the conventional personality that I want the VRS to use as Home Mode Selection Zone 3 channel 8(Example). I was thinking the CP programming would automatically move the radio to a specified conventional personality when it went active.
    This is where I got all confused on. I asked someone to look at my code plug and when I got it back from them setup for VRS I did not understand the settings. I have a VHF AS, A UHF R1 VRS-750. And of course UHF HT.
    If posting screenshot is not allowed sorry.confused.jpg Admin please delete.

Thanks

I think we got it sorted now. Thanks all for input and help.

Thanks

I forget if the Astro Spectra will do it, but you can also mode steer up to 8 channels with the VRS750 using different transmit tones from the portable. I know the XTL5000 will do it. I have noticed it is very finicky with the alignment of the portable though.

Thanks

Yes the AS will do the mode steering also 8 channels. I have not ventured that deep into it yet. Just getting it setup to use 1 personality (channel) been enough for my little pea brain. Going to send the AS for a full alignment and recapping in next couple of weeks. I am going to see if the same guy can do alignment on the VRS 750 or look for someone who has everything to do alignment what they will charge to do the alignment.

Thanks
    Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toolman60 View Post
    Yes the AS will do the mode steering also 8 channels. I have not ventured that deep into it yet. Just getting it setup to use 1 personality (channel) been enough for my little pea brain. Going to send the AS for a full alignment and recapping in next couple of weeks. I am going to see if the same guy can do alignment on the VRS 750 or look for someone who has everything to do alignment what they will charge to do the alignment.

Thanks
    Tim
    Someone with more expertise than me can chime in on this, but if you are going to have the VRS750 aligned, I would have the same person align the portable you plan to use with it. That way, both radios are aligned on the same service monitor and should work flawlessly together.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NSPD For This Useful Post:

toolman60 (Apr 13, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their help and input. Got my VRS-750 setup and running on the bench. Now to find someone that can re cap the AS and control heads and do alignment on them, the VRS-750, and my HT 1250. It will all be set to go into the truck.