Thread: NNTN8870 USB Cable for IMPRES 2

Thanks

Post NNTN8870 USB Cable for IMPRES 2

Has anyone seen or used the NNTN8870 (not NTN8870) USB cable meant for use with the new IMPRES 2 single chargers? I can't seem to find even a stock image for this on the public catalogue, on MOL, or any dealer websites.

I am basically trying to figure out if this is merely a passive USB cable that I could build with a female pin header, or if there is an active serial converter like on the NNTN8045 or perhaps a single wire EEPROM like they do with the other IMPRES cables.

Thanks

I've not used one yet, but I see them up for sale on MOL for $18. Just got in a bunch of the IMPRES 2 single unit chargers, and was equally as interested.
    M also informed me that upgrades to the IMPRES 2 chargers is done through the Fleet Management software. Not sure if it will let you do just the firmware upgrade without licensing the software.

Thanks

I bit the bullet and ordered the genuine cable, so I'll report back when it arrives as to whether it seems to be an active cable or not.

If it turns out to be a regular cable I will find it amusing they had to intentionally make it with a more obscure connector when they literally have standard USB A ports beside it on the single charger base. I guess maybe they felt that by putting a regular USB B or even mini/micro-B port, an uninformed user might accidentally mistake the device as a USB hub or something.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TRENT310 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 23, 2019)

Thanks

So my NNTN8870A finally showed up. Yes, it's just a Cypress Semiconductor USB-Serial bridge, like the IMPRES 1 ones were. It is in an interesting unique package that appears to have mounting holes, but there's nowhere on a single-unit charger for this. I'll have to take a closer look at the Gen 2 multi-unit chargers to see if there is a designated spot for it or if you're supposed to just make some holes I guess.

I was hoping the serial side of the cable would be something nicer than just Hirose headers with shrink wrap, and it didn't even come with a Micro-USB cable either.

Pictures for future curiosities, or anyone searching this part number in the future wondering what it is, like I did.

nntn8870_1.jpg

nntn8870_2.jpg

nntn8870_3.jpg

So far, it shows up right away in IMPRES Fleet Management. I haven't gotten the regular IMPRES 2 Data Reader software to find it yet, even after assigning the USB Serial adapter a COM port in the range 1-4.
    It appears to have charger firmware update capabilities, which I am unable to actually test since Version 1.7(0) is still the latest at this time and which is already factory loaded on this charger.

My next move would be to clip some scope leads onto this thing and figure out the pinout and what type and speed serial signalling is being passed via this USB adapter and the charging base.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TRENT310 For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Jun 02, 2019),apx (Jun 01, 2019),Mars (Jun 01, 2019),moetorola (Jun 04, 2019),motorola_otaku (Jun 03, 2019),that guy (Jun 01, 2019)

Thanks

Not sure if it matters much to you, but I think the chip in the charger is an R5F100MJ.

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/doc/pr...40-rl78g13.pdf
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.