Thread: Source of straight leads for audio accessories (APX and XTS)

Thanks

Default Source of straight leads for audio accessories (APX and XTS)

Long story short... I have some Nexus U-94 style kits I need to convert from MBITR style connectors to APX/XTS style. I *could* send them in to a place like SRS Tactical, TCI, or TEA... but they want $100+ for a new cable conversion when literally these kits consist of a 4-pin audio jack, a momentary switch, and a handful of solder joints.

I would like to find a source for straight lead cables, since coiled lead isn't fitting for the application - and if I needed one I could just cannibalize a Chinese RSM.

Thanks

I did the same thing are are looking into. If I remember correctly I had to move a few pins, but wasn't difficult at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Programming...EAAOSw0T9cgPzK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by splinter34 View Post
    I did the same thing are are looking into. If I remember correctly I had to move a few pins, but wasn't difficult at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Programming...EAAOSw0T9cgPzK
    That is what I was thinking I'd have to do... IIRC those XTS/XPR connector shells and PCBs have all the solder pads populated... I just have to move wires and/or pogo pins. I built one coiled cable down lead off a OEM APX/XPR RSM I had sitting around (cost me around $35 at one point), which has been a stellar performer so far... but I have people asking for straight leads.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 496 Posts

This is one application in which the cheap construction of Chinashit accessories works to your advantage. APX portable accessory connectors, at least on RSMs, are designed to be unmodifiable (the pins are captivated in plastic, for one thing) and any attempt to desolder will just leave you with a pile of broken garbage.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    This is one application in which the cheap construction of Chinashit accessories works to your advantage. APX portable accessory connectors, at least on RSMs, are designed to be unmodifiable (the pins are captivated in plastic, for one thing) and any attempt to desolder will just leave you with a pile of broken garbage.
    Luckily a basic APX RSM had just enough pins in the right place to make a basic U94 PTT down-lead which I tested with zero RF leakage into the cable.... unlike some other $200+ cables I have tested. But I will be testing different sources for straight and coiled leads since this is still a small market to be in where places like TEA, TCI, and SRS Tactical all charge $200+ for their units which are built on the same exact Amphenol parts. I am also looking into other Amphenol products to give a truly "waterproof" PTT module unlike what some vendors are selling with a classic TP120 jack which is not sealed inside the chassis for water intrusion.

Mostly I am trying to break into a market where most of these manufacturers have not realized TDMA interference IS a thing... and about to get a LOT more prevalent as Phase II gets switched on. I was just (un)lucky enough to find it while messing with XPR7550s in testing.