Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: EFJ5100 900 Mhz Multinet Radios to 33cm or P25 w/ Smartzone?

Thanks

Default EFJ5100 900 Mhz Multinet Radios to 33cm or P25 w/ Smartzone?

So what would it take to get these Cheap on EBAY 900 Mhz Multinet EFJ 5100 to work on either Hamband or P25 with Smartzone/Smartnet. Expensive Upgrade not worth it? Can you hex edit the codeplug similar to what you do with the System Key to get in 33cm? What is everyone's thoughts here? For $65 or best offer, I am thinking its worth it to try and find out.

Thank you to all...

trbo90

Thanks

I was thinking the same.. picked one up for $40. These could a very cheap alternative to the XTS2500 for P25 on 33cm.

Hopefully some one more familiar than I with EFJ can shed some light.

Thanks

I just picked one up for $40 also....

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

This is a project I would be interested in doing. I have one doing P25, but it wont drop into the ham band. I would imagine its a PCC modification.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XPR8300 View Post
    This is a project I would be interested in doing. I have one doing P25, but it wont drop into the ham band. I would imagine its a PCC modification.
    And as a side bonus, once this is figured out my UHF might go a bit above 470 :-)

Thanks

If you guys find any info out on how to do this let me know,I bought a couple of 900 meggers too,If you bought yours from the same Ebayer that sold me mine (the guy in Tx who has over 700 of them) he'll take $30 for them each on best offer.I'm still kicking myself for the complete 800 mhz p25 trunker I lost a couple of weeks ago for $80,But I'm sure there will be more.

GS4 No Longer Registered

I received one of the $30.00 radios today. With the correct options file they will do P25 and FPP but that is as far as I have gone. Now it's time to see about getting them into the ham band, I'm sure with the number of them showing up at a price that even a ham can appreciate more progress will be made.

GS

Thanks

Who had 700 of them in 900? That in one big company....Its not pubic safety.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

Probably a Power and Light company like ComEd in Chicago - big time 900 trunked system users. Otherwise, most of the 900 systems look like where the old 800 MHz Type I SMR's took refuge, Garbage Trucks, School Buses, i.e. the old former non-public safety users of the 800 MHz spectrum.

FWIW I got a bid in for 4 of 'em at $30, we'll see what happens. All of a sudden, I'm interested in getting these to play on Ham too. What a coincidence! :P
    Last edited by Alpha; Dec 02, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

theplague No Longer Registered

Supposedly there is a password you have to put into PC Tune. I have no clue what it is tho.
    Its under Tools > Other Tools

Thanks

Any update on whether these radios will do the ham band.

TRBO90 has made a discovery! These radios will FPP into the 33cm ham band. I have confirmed it on my pair. I have them on 927.500MHz in both 2.5kHz FM and P25. PCC will still not allow the freqs, but with FPP who cares? The one wierd thing about my pair (firmware 4.14.5 ) is that i have to FPP 10Mhz higher (put in 937.500 and the radio subtracts 10Mhz). The other goofy thing is if i go in an FPP the channel to look at the freq, it subtracts another 10MHz and now the radio is on 917.500. I still need to read the radio with PCC to see what it does with the freqs.

Great job TRBO90 discovering this! Hopefully it will allow for some more experimentation.

UPDATE: I read the radio with PCC and it did show the freqs as 927.5. The catch is that you cannot save the template nor program the radio. PCC whines about the freqs being out of band and halts just as if you had typed them in. Until PCC can be hacked, i am going to make a codeplug that has the freqs in the proper band and just correct them via FPP.

Thanks

I am pleased to confirm this works! It's a little confusing in that when you read the frequency after entering one that's out of band, it not only reads -10 MHz off, but it changes it to that value! So, you need to enter the frequency and then NOT screw with it or read it back or it will change it. I entered and successfully tested 917.000 and 927.000 MHz. On 917 the RX worked but there was no TX (and also no unlock indicate like FAIL 001 or something, hmmm). At 927 it worked TX and RX, analog and P25 digital! Sweet. Now all we need to do is figure out some "CPS" hacks to allow entry in software as well...

Alpha,
    have you had a chance to play with SmartNet/Zone? I tried futzing around in there and could not get it to take a cntrol channel. No matter what value i put in they were invalid. Was not sure if you played with that. We only have one smartnet on 900 here, but i am more interested to see what works and does not work in the radio.

GS4 No Longer Registered

This is great news, thanks a lot!!!

kd8gua No Longer Registered

So, how does one enable FPP on a radio that doesn't come with it? I know it's literally just a check box, but how do you get to it?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Excellent news! Now there's an alternative to the XTS2500 900 MHz radio. Our 900 2500s are programmed as:

TX: 902.0125 (repeater RX)
    RX: 927.0125 (repeater TX)

So I'm assuming this is good to go?

Thanks

@Mars - Yep! I programmed a similar Ham system into it that was about the same frequency and was able to key into the machine. It worked! Yay...

@XPR8300 - Will try some SZ systems around here and see if they work properly. The radio is definitely strange with the FPP - the 10 Mhz off thing applies to commercial (in-band) frequencies, too apparently. Very strange. The 900 model is kind of an afterthought - there are no hardware tuning channels (1 CSQ stuff). If you go into self-test and try to bring up a tuning channel it says 'Not Supported". Very strange.

Oh - one other update, all the entered frequencies ARE down by 10 MHz no matter what. If you want 927.0000 you have to enter 937.000. To get a 902 freq you have to enter as 912. Seems simple enough... Re-reading the frequency actually does show what it WAS set to, but re-entering the read value keeps subtracting 10 MHz each time you view it so as I said before, don't do that.

I also tried and no love with the KVL3000+, either. It goes into "Keyloading" mode but fails to transfer it. Probably need an EFJ specific keyload cable instead of the Motorola Hiroshima adapter. Another weird thing is I can't see in the software where to select an AES type key - it seems to only allow DES or DES/OFB. Still a lot to play with and experiment with here, more to come I'm sure...

Thanks

But are you guys saying the 5100 can't be ALIGNED on the 900 MHz band? If that's the case, I would have to change my opinion as the radio is essentially useless unless properly set up.

I have not tried out the tuner software yet so i am not sure about that, Mars but early reports seem promising that sensitivity is pretty decent on the 927/902 splits. For 30.00 or so a piece, it certainly warrants experimentation.

As for the keyload issue, there is a mod you can do to the jedi cable to get it to load, mine are talking OFB.

https://www.p25.ca/threads/913-Motor...FJohnson-radio
    Last edited by XPR8300; Dec 09, 2012 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kd8gua View Post
    So, how does one enable FPP on a radio that doesn't come with it? I know it's literally just a check box, but how do you get to it?
    There are a few people on here that can enable it, I had my two done as well as a couple of other members here. Shoot me a PM and I will send you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Another weird thing is I can't see in the software where to select an AES type key - it seems to only allow DES or DES/OFB. Still a lot to play with and experiment with here, more to come I'm sure...
    If it works like my VHF, on a P25 channel you dont select the algo in PCC. You load the AES or OFB key in the radio (either PID or CKR) and the radio selects the algo based on that. Seems similar to how an XTS/APX etc does it. I do not think there is any difference in the secure icon between DES and AES, unlike the motos.

Thanks

I have mine up and working on my 33cm repeater and the sensitivity is outstanding. I have not had time to run it side by side with my xts2500 900 mhz, but I would say it is at least equal to the 2500. I have been playing around for a few hours trying to get software to accept some sort of frequency in the control channel list for a Smartnet and/or Smartzone System with no luck. I am thinking if I can get it to accept a frequency in the Control Channel List, it can be hex edited to what it should be. If we can gets these up on a Smartnet/Smartzone System my 2500 will be for sale for sure.

Thanks

Anyone have a link for these radios? I did a quick search on eBay, and can't find them.

Thanks