Thread: Model Considerations

Thanks

Default Model Considerations

Hello,

I am still fairly undecided in terms of an APX7000 or a Thales Liberty. But there is more to it than just looks. My primary concern (which is why this thread is in P25 on amateur bands) is FPP and performance in RX and TX. For me, I do utilize the UHF 2 band for listen only but also want the ham band. Due to out of band restrictions on the APX series, I am beginning to explorer other options. Also, how easy is it to get FPP on the Liberty? How easy is the ordering process for an individual? Either way/model I would get a legit unit so that is what I need help to compare.

I read in another thread about software issues on the Liberty. The word "potential" was used but is Thales beginning to get on board or will it be a while longer? Does anyone have any current/recent accounts with the Thales liberty and if so could you express where in the features of the radio the problem occurs?

I am mostly concerned with 1) P25 CAI, 2) FPP, 3) VHF, 4) UHF, and 5) [LEAST IMPORTANT] UHF 2 operation for RX Only. I am less concerned with "ease of use" since I don't mind navigating menus or dealing with complicated software -- as long as it works!

Also, on one last point, are the Thales PDF documents that have pricing current?

Thanks for any and all assistance or insight.

Neo No Longer Registered

The Thales Liberty has been out for years and is plagued with so many firmware bugs the radio is worthless for TRS interop at this time. Thales refuses to pay for competent coders and their radio shows it. The hardware is great, but with this advanced hardware you need someone who understands the latest radio technology and can code firmware. We know they haven't found this person yet. Thales thinks they can get away with paying coders $50-70K/yr. To get the talented coders who can get the job done properly, it's going to cost Thales at least $160K/yr.

The unemployment rate for software coders is somewhere around 2.5%, while the nationwide rate is 8.0% or higher. Of the 2.5% unemployed software coders, many of these people choose to be unemployed until they find a higher paying job. These are USA stats.

That aside, if your just going to use the Liberty for simplex and hammy repeater usage/police RX only and not concerned about trunking, then it may be the radio for you.

Thanks

Audio wise, the rating on the APX (pretty sure its 1 watt) is more than the 500 mw on the Liberty.

Neo, in terms of software I have heard pretty much what you said from others a while back. When was your most recent insight acquired? I'm wondering if they've worked the bugs out yet. It came out in 2008 I believe. It should be enough time.