Thread: Impress 2

Thanks

Default Impress 2

Have an APX8k and several impress 1 batteries. Wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to impress 2 technology. Anyone have any first hand experience with both Impress 1 and Impress 2?

Thanks

I've only heard anecdotal reviews from a couple of mates that the Impres 2 tech seems to go as advertised (longer battery life etc). Backwards compatibility is good too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to simcomm For This Useful Post:

wiredwrx (May 06, 2019)

Thanks

I would say it depends who is paying for it.

If it is you, I wouldn't bother.

If it is someone else, I would go for Impres 2.

I cannot notice a large difference, perhaps someone who has a super-consistent duty cycle/usage would notice it. If your usage is inconsistent, its pretty hard to quantify a huge improvement.

I would compare it to a brand new "116%" battery vs a mid 90s battery.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

wiredwrx (May 06, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 563 Posts

I can say they don't hold calibration as long as Impres 1 batteries did, and they have an annoying habit of losing calibration while sitting in a bank charger. If you have a bunch of them that sit around as spares or attached to cache radios you'll probably want to recalibrate them every 2 weeks or so. I also have not noticed a huge improvement in charge cycles, especially with the added drain of XE/XP mics.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

ThatGuy (May 15, 2019)

Thanks

I've been using the PMNN4486A 3400mAh Impres 2 battery with the new Impres 2 single unit charger. I haven't noticed any significant improvement from a battery life perspective, however I have noticed that the recharge time is much faster than i've exprienced with standard Impres.
    The NNTN8856A single unit charger with dual USB outlets is great for charging accessories. I use little ANKER 'Powerline' 1ft USB cables to minimise the desk clutter while charging a PTT Pod.

I know this has been raised in other threads - i've been stung with a 'wrong battery' warning while trying to use Impres 2 NNTN8930A TIA4950 / IS battery with a non IS APX8000. I understand this came about in a recent FW update. Even when battery / radio type is set to NONE.
    I understand the issue raised with using a non IS battery with a IS radio and I completely agree that a warning in this situation is warranted, however i'm at a loss to know why such a warning needs to be persistently alerted when an IS battery is on a non IS radio.

I've been using UL batteries on non UL Mototrbo radios for many years without an issue. Please forgive me if i'm committing a sin, though I only see harm if this combination is reversed.

Thanks Josh

Thanks

I agree with PSEhub on who's paying for them.

As MDC1200 stated, The Impres 2 batteries do charge quicker in the Impres 2 charger. We use both Impres and Impres 2 bateries, and the newer radios came with the Impres 2 chargers. Usage wise, the Impres 2 batteries last just a tad longer, but I don't feel the price is justified buy that short of time.

Just be aware of the new PMNN4547 (3100mAh) batteries coming with the new APX6000XE's they are not compatible with the 8000's Mother M get's ya coming and going!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jro985 For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jun 13, 2019)

Thanks

I understood that the throttling of the batteries was redacted in a later version of firmware. Maybe I heard wrong.

Thanks

The IMPRES 2 batteries charge up to 40% faster, according to the sales literature. Haven't put them head to head, but it might be true. I don't have one sitting in front of me to check right now, but I think the IMPRES 1 doesn't have the conditioning cancel switch on the bottom. I like the industrial design aesthetics of the IMPRES 2 charger better, and have found it's two USB charging ports useful. Now if only they made that Coyote SRX battery with IMPRES(2)...

Thanks

Does anyone have any best practices for maintenance of batteries on cache radios? How often should the batteries be run through a full discharge/recal cycle? Have a customer with a command vehicle and a cache of radios that sit in chargers for long periods. Pulled with green LED, and died instantly. No guidance from MSI yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EM36 View Post
    I understood that the throttling of the batteries was redacted in a later version of firmware. Maybe I heard wrong.
    I'm pretty sure I read in the Version 18 (19?) release notes that the Wrong Battery problem was fixed. Unfortunately I'm frozen at R17, not upgrading for that minor fix. I too have been stung by the Wrong Battery problem myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radiojack View Post
    Does anyone have any best practices for maintenance of batteries on cache radios? How often should the batteries be run through a full discharge/recal cycle? Have a customer with a command vehicle and a cache of radios that sit in chargers for long periods. Pulled with green LED, and died instantly. No guidance from MSI yet.
    IMPRES 1 or 2? IMPRES 1 chargers display percentage of rated capacity after charging... I'd ask the customer for that and recommend replacement if they're below 55%. IMPRES batteries should not, under any circumstances, display green in a charger then die immediately after being pulled out.

It's not based on anything official from Mother but I'd recommend at least a bi-weekly cycling of batteries. My preferred practice is to have 2 batteries for every cache radio with the second set in a tote case that stays with the cache, and rotate them weekly or bi-weekly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

MTS2000DES (Jun 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radiojack View Post
    They don't like to sit, that's for sure. I'm interested in a solution too. I had a customer with XPR6550's that liked to have backup radios stationed in various places, sitting in their chargers 24/7, some times for years. They did that all the time. You can manually condition them, which kinda sorta restores something, but was often still useless. Everyone knows laptop batteries do that, but when it comes to radios, especially those that were thought to be "backups" and therefore mission critical, common sense goes out the window.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons the wild land fire guys all use alkaline clam shells. They are made for the APX6/8k, but not for TRBO radios or the low end APXes that use the TRBO batteries. I've seen single use, primary lithium packs for APX and Astro25, but only once did I see them for XPRs, and they were a custom order from an unnamed manufacturer. Primary lithium XTS and APX batteries are super not cheap either, you only need to reload the alkaline clam shell a couple times before it's paid for the cost difference, if there even is any.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    It's not based on anything official from Mother but I'd recommend at least a bi-weekly cycling of batteries. My preferred practice is to have 2 batteries for every cache radio with the second set in a tote case that stays with the cache, and rotate them weekly or bi-weekly.
    I follow this rule (or try to) based on workload at my shop to at least twice a month, go through my banks of IMPRES 1 MUC's and re-cal all my cache batteries. We also regularly cycle out batteries from that cache into our (radio support staff) hands to use them and sample to find any that may be going bad.
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MTS2000DES For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jun 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000DES View Post
    We also regularly cycle out batteries from that cache into our (radio support staff) hands to use them and sample to find any that may be going bad.
    I'd take it one step further and cycle them out with regular rotation batteries... that way everything gets worn evenly, and you don't have desk queens that outlive the life cycle of the subscribers while front-line guys are struggling to keep good batteries on their stuff. It's less of an issue when they regularly see bank or desk chargers and have a chance to recalibrate, but when they live in vehicle chargers and are subjected to temperature extremes it's pretty important that they get cycled around.