Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton 2019

Thanks

Default Dayton 2019

So who is going? I will be there at least 2 days.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 820 Posts

Some of us don't like the government over site at the event, and prefer not having to go through airport screening. Some of us will DRIVE to the event.
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (May 07, 2019)

Thanks

Driving up from Florida. I’ll be there the whole weekend. GARY.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,140 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    I’ll be there the whole weekend. GARY.
    That’s not something to brag about. That’s like saying you went three days without a shower, instead of just one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Motorhead (May 05, 2019)

Thanks

I live in Columbus. I’m on the fence if I want to go or not.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

Thanks

I have been to Dayton many times. There are a few sellers who are open, honest and accurate on the history of the hardware. Sadly there are a lot of sellers selling messed up hardware or providing mis information. The prices all seem to be a bit over the top" used equipment for new prices".

On the plus side if you can attend it is an opportunity to see what used equipment is generally on the market. Another plus is there is the chance you can meet someone who is familiar with equipment and hardware and is willing to talk tech talk with you at a technician/engineer level. There are some that attend some of these events and keep a low profile. Best advice keep your ears open, dont try to BS people and go with the plan of having a good time in a electronics/radio environment.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

axel (May 05, 2019),Gtaman (May 05, 2019),medic550 (May 05, 2019)

Thanks

I should be there Thursday afternoon and Friday ...not sure about Saturday weather has been bad the last two years so usually blew off Saturday.
    At least my schedule lines up a little better this year and I am actually in town that week for a change. Back to the airport on Sunday though.

Thanks

I will be there. Hoping to collaborate with someone more knowledgeable on the Harris P7200 radios.

Thanks

If the weather looks good I'll probably give it another try. After their first year in Xenia I swore off going back, but I'm told they paid attention and fixed a lot of the issues after that first year. So I guess I owe them another chance. But if it's raining at all around that weekend I'll pass. Not interested in shuttle buses after experiencing the free-for-all in Trotwood, so if there's no chance of parking on site, I'm content to miss it.

Thanks

I will be flying to Atlanta from the UK and driving up . The new venue is a bit disapointing I have had a couple of issues with parking on mud and I don't do remote parking. The flea market is my primary target and after a 30-40 minute scan I have spotted and bought any Astro gear at sensible prices and returned to the car to test. I can then just walk round the event and enjoy the show. It is a shame I can't easily import a crate of used gear from the UK to sell, some of our hamfest prices are really low compared with Dayton.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iltisman View Post
    I will be flying to Atlanta from the UK and driving up . The new venue is a bit disapointing I have had a couple of issues with parking on mud and I don't do remote parking.
    Now there's a committed ham, to fly over the big pond for a hamfest! I'm with you on the parking and the mud. That's why I'm waiting till the week of to decide if I'm going. I saw a post, I think on the Hamvention page, that decisions on onsite parking would be made at the start of hamfest, depending on weather. At least I'm only a few hours away, and don't have to buy airline tickets well in advance. I hope you have a good trip and the weather cooperates for both of us.

Jim, KY1H

Thanks

I am planning on attending Friday and part of Saturday. Would be interested in catching up with some of you guys. Has anyone co-ordinated a frequency and key this year?

Cheers,
    SD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    That’s not something to brag about. That’s like saying you went three days without a shower, instead of just one.
    Well one of those days will be at the local aircraft museum. GARY.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to N4KVE For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 13, 2019)

Thanks

Well that's like saying you went two days without a shower, and one day dodging people driving recklessly in hamabouts, who didn't shower. I've been there, I know.

And don't forget the #1 rule of Dayton:

SHITTER'S FULL

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (May 13, 2019),Gtaman (May 14, 2019),medic550 (May 15, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (May 19, 2019),splinter34 (May 31, 2019),Viper1-6 (May 14, 2019)

Thanks

Great minds think alike.. that is in my schedule too.

Thanks

Well that's like saying you went two days without a shower, and one day dodging people driving recklessly in hamabouts, who didn't shower. I've been there, I know.

And don't forget the #1 rule of Dayton:

SHITTER'S FULL

Dammit..... There goes my lunch again seeing that **** show parking lot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mss-dave For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 14, 2019)

Thanks

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (May 14, 2019),dandy (May 14, 2019)

Thanks

I have been hearing for years "Oh, you HAVE to get to Dayton at least once" I just can't see the point. In my head I have a vision of the old computer fairs of yesteryear that I loved walking around and seeing the newest technology. But then I see pictures of what Dayton actually has going on and think to myself OK. I don't need to go to Ohio to grab $15 worth of connectors and be surrounded by mouth breathers for multiple days. I can just head to a local hamfest for a few hours and then leave.

I have been told Near fest up in New Hampshire is actually a bit better but more of a hippie camping atmosphere.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkwing For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (May 16, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
    I have been hearing for years "Oh, you HAVE to get to Dayton at least once" I just can't see the point. In my head I have a vision of the old computer fairs of yesteryear that I loved walking around and seeing the newest technology. But then I see pictures of what Dayton actually has going on and think to myself OK. I don't need to go to Ohio to grab $15 worth of connectors and be surrounded by mouth breathers for multiple days. I can just head to a local hamfest for a few hours and then leave.
    That's always been my attitude. HamCom in Plano, TX is like Dayton Lite, with the added bonus of only being a few hours drive away from me.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 18, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    That's always been my attitude. HamCom in Plano, TX is like Dayton Lite, with the added bonus of only being a few hours drive away from me.
    Unfortunately, the local hamfest here (which coincidentally is coming up soon) is awful. But I know I will find myself going, looking at coax, not buying it and ordering it online in the parking lot.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkwing For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 18, 2019)

Thanks

Dayton was OK with lots of Moto gear from the last 50 years. APX were much in evidence more as fashion accessories than means of communication. I was happy to score 3 Astro Spectras for $30 each and a XTL2500 (800) for $10 .

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iltisman For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (May 19, 2019),Gtaman (May 18, 2019),Mars (May 18, 2019),p47r4ck (Jun 08, 2019),triptolemus (May 18, 2019)

Thanks

I used to like smashing HT600s in the parking lot of Hara watching hams say “Hey, I would use that” Then replying “They are narrow band now” .....move along scooter man , you aren’t getting any free s*** here

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cpd538 For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (May 19, 2019),Darkwing (May 21, 2019),Mars (May 18, 2019),slapshot0017 (May 20, 2019)

Thanks

Mars ...

PLEASE can you post the video you got of K1DMR getting the ****** handshake at Dayton a few years ago? Best ever post behind the entire 2016 Dayton thread. I cannot find it using Tapatalk (shocking) but have had a few beers so that might have something to do with that too.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to mss-dave For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 18, 2019)

Thanks

Sadly, I do not have the video. It was on the phone that was stolen from me by your federal government. Hopefully they got a good laugh out of it.

For those who missed it, I walked right up to that piece of ****, rubbed my entire arm through my *** crack for about three seconds, and then extended my hand to shake his hand, and he gladly shook it. Somebody from the forum made a video of it as it was a planned “greeting”.

For those unfamiliar, K1DMR is it the business of suing ham radio clubs for not allowing him to participate on their repeaters. He also hawks DMR crap 24/7 to clueless people.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

cpd538 (May 19, 2019),EM36 (May 20, 2019),mss-dave (May 18, 2019),NC4AB (May 19, 2019)

Thanks

Sadly, I do not have the video. It was on the phone that was stolen from me by your federal government. Hopefully they got a good laugh out of it.

For those who missed it, I walked right up to that piece of ****, rubbed my entire arm through my *** crack for about three seconds, and then extended my hand to shake his hand, and he gladly shook it. Somebody from the forum made a video of it as it was a planned “greeting”.

For those unfamiliar, K1DMR is it the business of suing ham radio clubs for not allowing him to participate on their repeaters. He also hawks DMR crap 24/7 to clueless people.
    Man.... That's too bad. Remembering what happened to you last time you went to Dayton kind of put a damper on the whole thing. That video was ******* priceless considering what was going on.

I guess when February 2020 rolls around, I will have to be on the camera at Orlando looking for dumbasses that jack their antennas up into the power lines or the ubiquitous power scooter shots. I seriously doubt that we'll have the **** fountain in the parking lot there though.....

Any of you folks that are still at Dayton ( or Xenia or whatever it's called now...) this weekend, come on let's get the towers on the hard hats and other dumbass kind of pictures posted in the previous Dayton threads.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mss-dave For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 19, 2019),NSPD (May 19, 2019),triptolemus (May 19, 2019)