Thread: Datron G25RPV100 Guardian Ver 8.2 antenna issue

Thanks

Default Datron G25RPV100 Guardian Ver 8.2 antenna issue

Hi All, I have put this question in Thales Forum Thread as it has similarities.

I purchased this with an antenna that was advised as "160-174 split as it was used in the Fire industry.

The odd thing is when I transmit, it won't send out unless I touch the Antenna? I thought it might be an sma problem, but all looks good and tight.

I put a Dummy load on with an sma adaptor and the radio transmits perfectly??

When I googled for a Datron Guardian Antenna, some sites actually state this antenna "
    NOTE: Will Not Work With 'Datron Guardian 2' Handheld Radio"

The pin inside the sma connector looks further in than others, I have tried an antenna from my XTS5000 and that will not work with it either, is there a specific antenna ti use??

Thanks

I have managed to find a part number for the 136-174MHz antenna its G25APA004, but till now cannot find any??

Thanks

I have had no issues using a Motorola 136-174 wideband antenna on my Guardian. Works just fine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to btrains For This Useful Post:

G1JPV (May 27, 2019)

Thanks

Mine hasn't had any antenna issues that I'm aware of, but I've seen that warning before too. I think it was on some Diamond antennas. That was oddly specific of them, considering how few of these radios are in private hands and would even buy a third party antenna for one. The Datron Guardian is basically a Racal 25 in an XTS3000 shape. The Racal 25 has some known, and fairly strange, antenna interactions. I have a safety advisory notice from the national wildfire coordinating group, that talks about drastic variations in power consumption and effective talk time simply from changing the antenna.
    A significant change (reduction) in the Racal 25’s transmit current requirements can be achieved
    by utilizing different antennas on the radio. Within the 162 to 174 MHz frequency range, a
    reduction of over 50% in transmit current draw can be achieved.
    There's something very interesting happening with regards to antennas on those radios, and it's likely it carries over to the Datron as well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FuzzyReception For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Jun 14, 2019),G1JPV (Jun 10, 2019)