Thread: Service Note: ICOM ID31, ID51, ID91 SD card socket

Thanks
    Thanked 5,815 Times in 1,671 Posts

Default Service Note: ICOM ID31, ID51, ID91 SD card socket

In attempting to service an ID51A Plus 2 which had a damaged Micro SD card socket caused by exposure to a high humidity environment (contacts rusted/corroded), I ran into a stumbling block in terms of getting the replacement part.

The service manual indicated:

6510028170 S.CON SDHL-8BNS-K-363-A0-ETB(HF)

I contacted ICOM parts and received a rather lame reply, informing me:

Quote Originally Posted by ICOM parts
    We have never ordered this part.
    According to our technician, you cannot remove the SD slot so you will have to replace the logic board.
    Unfortunately, we don’t have this logic board for ID51A plus2.
    I responded, informing them the part was indeed serviceable, and it was a shame their “technician“ had no experience working with surface mount technology. I politely asked if they could please go ahead and order the part. I received a second response:

Quote Originally Posted by ICOM Parts
    I got the answer from Icom Japan -6510028170 is the replacement part but it cannot be put on by hand.
    The solution is to replace the logic board. You can send your radio to our service for repair.
    I found this to be absolutely asinine. I’m not aware of any other company which tells their clients what they are and are not capable of repairing. I simply was attempting to source the part.

I located the exact replacement part from China:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F262612334191

As you can see from the pictures in the listing, there is nothing indicative which would suggest it is epoxied or otherwise fastened to the board in a way which would make removal impossible. Part ordered and on the way. I will let you guys know how the repair goes.

I don’t know how common this problem is, but given the radio was approximately one year old at the time of failure, and “humidity” was caused by being inside of a winter jacket while I was out walking (sweating) for a short period of time, and the rubber port was protecting the contacts from direct exposure, I find this to be very lame.

Ham radios are kind of lame, but this particular radio has two independent receivers and suited my conventional monitoring interests well for the intended purpose at the time It’s ability to record each transmission (and time stamp them) to the SD card is quite useful.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (May 13, 2019),G1JPV (May 13, 2019),Viper1-6 (May 13, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 773 Posts

This part is not repairable if you are a dolt with a Radio Shack 100w soldering iron. Anyone with even fair SMD rework experience should be able to replace this part. We do this kind of work all the the time with great success.
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 13, 2019)

Thanks

You didn't mention specifically if it was Icom Canada or USA that you were dealing with, but I have been having problems for several years getting even common LMR parts, like volume controls, channel selector switches, & housings out of the Icom USA parts. To the point that several of us were openly wondering if they were having some kind of credit issue with the bank. In a few cases for F4001 parts I have done a web search as you did and found the parts in Taiwan for only slightly more cost and delivered more quickly than waiting for the backorder to process at Icom. It is obvious that they feel the dealer network techs are not capable of anything anymore and trying to force the use of the official depot locations for even the most common types of component repair. They may be right, with the increase in the use of IT people to do LMR work, they are trained to change boards and/or ship to the depot and lack the skills some of us have built up over 40 years of bench work. But shortly I am not going to care, I think it is getting very close to time to reitire.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,815 Times in 1,671 Posts

ppcradioman: Yes, this was ICOM Canada I was dealing with. I explained my background to the rep I was dealing with, to the point where I offered my services/myself to them if they were looking to hiring someone more competent to run their parts/repair/common sense department.

On a previous order for some screws and a ZIF socket, I waited about 3-4 months for the parts. I could not believe the delay and also suspected they had no local stock of any parts. They're likely sourcing them from the internet and reselling them for profit. There's no other logical explanation.

I don't regard ICOM as a big player in the commercial world, but I have to admit I'm impressed with their recent lineup of SDR HF radios, such as the 7100 and 7610, as well as the 9700 (all-mode VHF/UHF/1.2).

I had no trouble performing the ZIF socket repair (LCD display flex), but it was challenging due to the heat/melting temperature of the ZIF socket itself. Always order a few spares ICOM is definitely a "swap and replace" type of operation right now. Maybe a little different with the big ticket HF radios, but the low-cost hammy stuff is likely not worth the repair time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (May 13, 2019)