Thread: MOTOTRBO WiFi programming, a few lessons learned

Thanks

Default MOTOTRBO WiFi programming, a few lessons learned

After setting up quite a few of the MOTOTRBO programming over WiFi systems, I would like to add a few things here to try to help the group:

-First, please do not use the default SSID and password in your production environment. It is ok during system commissioning, but you really dont want to read the Hammy's radio when he is driving by or to read a big batch of contractors when they arrive on site to do work. The easiest way I have seen to do this is to add a primary and secondary encrypted network to the AP list in the radio. The primary could be your fixed wifi APs and the secondary could be a little travel router you use for close in work (or if you are out of range of the main wifi system).

-Second, please make sure the subnet is large enough for all of the radios to get an IP. a /24 subnet (255.255.255.0) is NOT ok for 3000 radios trying to connect. The symptom of not enough IPs is a newly turned on radio wont connect to the AP, but several other ones that have been powered up for some time will connect.

-Third, please reduce the DHCP lease time down from 24 hours to 15-60 minutes. I know it increases data traffic, but if you are short on IP addresses this can help a lot.

Fourth, the radio uses DNS-SD multicast packets in order to discover the Device Programmer (that must be in same subnet due to multicast). In order to get this to work properly, I often have to disable AP Isolation in the APs that I am working on. Also, in Cisco, I often have to make sure mDNS Global Snooping is unchecked. Make sure all types of multicast traffic are allowed on the subnet.

Anyone have any additional points of help that they can recommend? FB

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fatboy For This Useful Post:

Blackwater (May 14, 2019),com501 (May 14, 2019),d119 (May 13, 2019),Forts (May 13, 2019),KE4ZNR (May 14, 2019),Mars (May 13, 2019),MaxK98 (May 13, 2019),medic550 (May 13, 2019),MikeCav (May 14, 2019),Notarola (May 16, 2019),phonebuff (May 13, 2019),SwissMoto (May 15, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,815 Times in 1,671 Posts

I experimented with the WiFi radio in the 5550e/7550e, and discovered it supports Channel 14 (Japan), which is very handy. I used a crusty old WRT-54G with DD-WRT firmware to set up an (illegal) AP on channel 14. The radios connected to it no problem. I found I had increased range/reliability/decreased programming times, due to having a clear channel for once. Around here, 2.4 GHz is a crapshoot due to there being about 100 APs within range, when I do a scan.

Just something to think about. All you Japanese XPR users out there can really benefit from this. You won't want to break the law and use Ch. 14 in North America or anything. No, that would be really really bad.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (May 16, 2019),axel (May 13, 2019),com501 (May 14, 2019)

Thanks

We have done not-so-evil Twin Verizon hotspots with laptop with job processor with VPN client on laptop back to RM Server.

A nicer Sierra is best, but even the mifi are fine.

As long as SSID/PSK matches, radios connect and it works great for programming those last few hard-to-get vehicles or those units at a weird location.

Use a nice VPN on laptop like OpenVPN or Cisco AnyConnect, although Radmin VPN works in a pinch.

Realistically you won't be able to spew multicast across entire network, so you'll end up with a bunch of VMs with job processors or parking Dell OptiPlex Micros, etc with job processor at different locations.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

Fatboy (May 14, 2019),phonebuff (May 15, 2019)

Thanks

Does anyone know if Motorola plans to add more ways to discover the Device Programmer to the radios? We usually have peripheral locations where the radio users are usually close to the repeater site itself. I've usually put up a VPN router with a Wi-fi access point integrated so I can reach both the repeater and the radios. Because of Motorola's ridiculous DNS-SD implementation, I have to forward multicast packets over the VPN tunnel which is a pain in the *** to get right. If they'd just added regular DNS support or even let us input the IP addresses of the device programmers directly, things would be much simpler...

Thanks

Two thoughts on the Multi-cast issues. Either do a Device Programmer on say a NUC or ThinkCenter or as PSEHub said a Dell Micro..

Or get some DCBNet UT devices and tunnel the multi-cast as needed.

-----

Thanks

mmmmmmmmmmmm DCB UT-3302. I have installed many of those little things. Keep in mind that the power supply capacitors dry out after 4-6 years and the box will not power up. I was replacing them so often that I bought a bag of caps off allied or digikey and just "fix" the bad unit and make it a spare. Ended up with a pile of spares. FB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fatboy For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 16, 2019)