Thread: Ford Explorer installation questions

Thanks

Default Ford Explorer installation questions

OK gang, I'm getting closer to making the decision to put a radio in my 2018 Explorer (not Police Interceptor Utility).
    I'm leaning toward the following:
    • XPR5550e VHF (40W) mounted under the front passenger seat
    • HHCH conversion kit

The questions I have are:
    1. Will there be any problems with the radio in the proposed location? Any concerns regarding the airbags in the seats?
    2. For the antenna, this is the remaining big decision point... where do I mount it? I do NOT want to drill anything on the roof. I need something easily removable (car wash, etc.) and was thinking of something like a hood mount bracket where it isn't actually attached to the hood itself, but rather the fender below the hood. Something like the below pic. Any concerns regarding dash airbags?
      1517360447588_cv2antncg-l.jpg

If anyone has any success stories with pics, I'd like to hear/see it/them. Thanks!

Thanks

I can't help you with your first question other than to say I've used the under-seat method in most of my vehicles with no issues. I don't know the specifics of the Ford airbag setup but if they don't get in the way and you make sure nothing catches when the seat moves back and forth, it's a great spot to tuck away a brick.

Those fender mounts seem to work pretty well from what I've seen. I personally drill but I know how it feels to keep your roof clean. I'd imagine you might get a little weirdness with the non-uniform groundplane (assuming you're using an antenna that needs one). Just make sure you use some nice flexible coax like LMR195UF or similar so you're not pinching things under the hood too much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to axel For This Useful Post:

sjxts3000 (May 16, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,791 Times in 1,663 Posts

Drill a hole in the roof and get it over with already. Itís the only place an antenna belongs. Those fender things are directional and subject you to more RF.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (May 16, 2019),mpron (May 16, 2019),MTS2000DES (May 17, 2019)

Thanks

I agree with Mars, the antenna belongs on the roof. However, if you're GONNA put it somewhere else, stick to somewhere on the top of the vehicle. One of my agencies DEMANDS we stealth mount the antennas upside down underneath the vehicle. Inevitably, if they actually use their radios, they complain about coverage issues. If you really need something low-pro for things like the car wash, have you considered a puck antenna, or a shark fin antenna? They may not work as well as a 1/4 wave, but at least the RF isn't blasting you in the face.
    What?!? Hiring a guy who USES the equipment daily to FIX the equipment? You mean, instead of a college preppie who only knows the theory behind how it is SUPPOSED to be used? Woah, what a novel idea!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nostatic For This Useful Post:

mpron (May 16, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 528 Posts

Fender mounts are usually okay IF the hood is properly bonded. You'll want to do that with flat ground braid. Going between hinge bolts will work, but you need to scrape the paint off between the hinge and the body panels and apply an anti-ox-compound before bolting them back together.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 16, 2019),sjxts3000 (May 16, 2019)