Thread: astro saber 3 800mhz smartzon question.

danb1021 No Longer Registered

Default astro saber 3 800mhz smartzon question.

i have a question for anyone..i would like to know if there is a difference in smartnet or smartzone? i have smartzone but i think i need to have smartnet! is there a way i can change that? it's for monitering. tx is disabled..thanks if anyone can help to answer this..

Thanks

If you have SmartZone, you have SmartNet.

SmartZone is a wide area coverage consisting of many linked trunking systems connected to a master site. SmartNet is a single trunking system.

If you have SmartZone, you should be able to program in a single site and accomplish what you want. Be sure to set your affiliate options to "On PTT", which I think can still be done in the legacy ASTRO series. I'm not an expert on passive monitoring of trunked systems.

yeah thats the way i have it set of but i can not moniter anything..not sure what im doing wrong but it says out of range i set it up to smartzone..but then when i set it to local or the other one it does nothing..at least on smartzone the light on top flashes red sometimes..thank you for your help..

Neo No Longer Registered

Top led lighting up means the radio is trying to affiliate. Not good if your just trying to monitor the system.

Your problem is probably something simple, like one setting not checked or unchecked.

yeah i was thinking the same thing..i have all the control channels in there and all the hex codes..it will just flash red sometimes..but now not sure why it glows red..just trying to listem..not talk..not sure where i go from here...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,654 Times in 1,898 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danb1021 View Post
    but now not sure why it glows red..just trying to listem..not talk..not sure where i go from here...
    Likely the Remote Monitor/Radio Trace feature is being activated by dispatch console.

Immediately deprogram this radio.

thats what im thinking thanks..i dont want or need any trouble!!! just wish there was instructions on home to program these radio's correctly..

Thanks

The easiest way to take care of the programming is to not to. There are a lot of rogue radios out there that cause problems to legitimate systems and users. Please just buy a scanner and go to the other place to get the information on programming it. We have dealt with this kind of thing for a long time, and even with radio IDs that are turned off through NM, they still burp a request to affiliate at the end of a voice message when the talkgroup is done. This causes lots of retries for legitimate users, and when the radio is set to Automatic Affiliate, you don't have any choice but to transmit this message.

thats very true..gonna go and work with the scanner now..bet i have better luck with that...thanks for the heads up and like i said i dont wanna cause any problems with that radio..thanks again..

Thanks

Wow...this is the 1st thread on here where I've seen someone advise to just use a crappy scanner. Don't give up on monitoring with the saber. Smartzone and Smartnet are easy to monitor without affiliation. Just follow the steps laid out in the no affilate scan thread in the other forum. Ask questions about what you don't understand. There are plenty of folks here willing to help. Folks here will even have a look at your codeplug to see whats wrong with it. I can understand trunkers point of view. However his suggestion about the scanner almost had me thinking I was reading on Retard Reference.

Thanks

I think the general theme here is (and no disrespect to anyone): Get a clue before programming up a TRANSCEIVER onto a public-safety TRS, where lives can be affected if affiliation is going on. In some smaller patrol/dispatch zones, only one radio will be affiliated to a talkgroup on a given site. If you clone that RID and affiliate it from another tower, that officer/responder WILL MISS THEIR DISPATCHES. This is UNACCEPTABLE no matter who you are.

People who don't want to take the time to learn before programming up a radio, have no business putting the said radio on a TRS.

Yes it came be done. No, it can't be done in 30 seconds, with no prior programming/radio experience.

Cloning RIDs on PS TRSs is not a game. It's a very serious issue. Either do it right, or don't do it at all.

Again, not flaming anyone, or addressing anyone in-particular. This is just the way it is for EVERYONE.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mototom View Post
    Wow...this is the 1st thread on here where I've seen someone advise to just use a crappy scanner. Don't give up on monitoring with the saber. Smartzone and Smartnet are easy to monitor without affiliation. Just follow the steps laid out in the no affilate scan thread in the other forum. Ask questions about what you don't understand. There are plenty of folks here willing to help. Folks here will even have a look at your codeplug to see whats wrong with it. I can understand trunkers point of view. However his suggestion about the scanner almost had me thinking I was reading on Retard Reference.
    As you know, we are not retard reference and none of the mods here are useless *********s such as the ones you'll find over there.

But when someone is too "new" to understand how to program a radio properly, I also agree a scanner is their best option until they learn more or understand the dangers and theory behind cloning RIDs and programming unauthorized radios onto a TRS.

I encourage the use of real Moto radios over a scanner, any day of the week. But they must be programmed to operate PASSIVELY on the network. Fly on a wall. Nothing else is acceptable.

Neo No Longer Registered

I agree Mars. The OP clearly didn't read the tutorials on how to properly program the radio. If the red light is blinking, then the radio is CLEARLY NOT programmed properly and did NOT read up on how to properly program his radio.

I agree 100% my radio is not able to tx..im smart enough to know right from wrong!! i came to this forum to ask question's about things i did not know about..why would i want to interfere with someone trying to do there job?? i have not done anything wrong my radio is programmed just as anyone one of your's is!! i just asked what the difference is between smartzone and smartnet!!! if there is a forum that i can go to that helps me please by all means tell me where to go?? im just learning the in's and out's of the saber..my freind is a moto tech since the early 70's and he was very inpressed with what i have learned from reading this forum..i can and have asked him these question's becasue of the warm welcome that almost everyone seems to offer me...everyone was where i am at now at some point in there life...if anyone has a question about truck driving im more then happy to offer anything i can to help newbies out..just my 2 cents..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danb1021 View Post
    I agree 100% my radio is not able to tx..im smart enough to know right from wrong!! i came to this forum to ask question's about things i did not know about..why would i want to interfere with someone trying to do there job?? i have not done anything wrong my radio is programmed just as anyone one of your's is!! i just asked what the difference is between smartzone and smartnet!!! if there is a forum that i can go to that helps me please by all means tell me where to go?? im just learning the in's and out's of the saber..my freind is a moto tech since the early 70's and he was very inpressed with what i have learned from reading this forum..i can and have asked him these question's becasue of the warm welcome that almost everyone seems to offer me...everyone was where i am at now at some point in there life...if anyone has a question about truck driving im more then happy to offer anything i can to help newbies out..just my 2 cents..
    No one is flaming you. You are more than welcome to participate here.

Many of us (including myself at one time) are/were licensed/certified emergency workers. We WILL NOT put any of our co-workers in harms way. Ever. Period. Those of us who are running the forum also have legal obligations to be concerned with. This site is a private resource. No one on this site will be held liable for doing anything criminally unlawful. In some jurisdictions, using a Motorola radio is technically "illegal" because some feel it infringes on various "computer trespass" laws. So we must be very clear here about our intent and direction of the site. I'm sure you understand.

I'm glad you're making progress learning the "Motorola way". More reading is definitely in order for you, but don't hesitate to ask questions. That's what we're here for.

well from the very first time i read the coade plug the first thing i did was disable the tx..i do not want to casue any problems with anyone about tx that happened by mistake..thanks for all your help..an ill keep reading and see if i can get the starcom 21 working..thanks

Thanks

Just so you know Illinois has some very specific laws on the books about illegally accessing Starcom21 with an unauthorized radio . Not saying its not being done. I know it is, I agree with everyone about the use of a Motorola radio to passive monitor. I am not opposed to it to a point if done correctly. Hwere is the problem.. Your trying to make a radio that wasnt designed primarly to be used on this system. The features and options are not always compatable with what you want to do. That radio is about 2 generations too old. I know for a fact that the ISP and Motorola system admins do watch for rouge radios on starcom21. Save your self the hassle. Heed the advise given.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    As you know, we are not retard reference and none of the mods here are useless *********s such as the ones you'll find over there.

But when someone is too "new" to understand how to program a radio properly, I also agree a scanner is their best option until they learn more or understand the dangers and theory behind cloning RIDs and programming unauthorized radios onto a TRS.

I encourage the use of real Moto radios over a scanner, any day of the week. But they must be programmed to operate PASSIVELY on the network. Fly on a wall. Nothing else is acceptable.
    I completely agree. I spent countless hours researching information, methods, radio types and options, system types and infrastructiure, everything I felt that was relavent and would help me. I read till my dam eyes were sore to learn as much as possible before even attempting to passively monitor a trunked system with a motorola radio. Not only was I concerned about causing a problem on a trunked system with a rouge affilation, I was concerned about my investment in a radio and having it inhibited or flat out purchasing something that wouldn't work al all. That was well before this site was around so that made things much more difficult. Tho only advise I can offer the OP is read alot and ask questions. The red light blinking or staying on steady is not good.

yes thank you for the advice..i just think this is the wrong forum to ask question's in..i asked a question..thats all i did..i know the rule's and the law's..i dont need anyone preaching to me!! if nobody can answer the question im not sure why you would even bother typing anything..i would just like this thread closed please..it's pretty obvious it's getting me nowhere..im putting the radio away..no reason to even try to do anything with it when people have statements instead of answer's once again thanks everyone...

Thanks

You wanted answers.. Thats your answer.. If done the wrong way by someone inexperenced it can be detremental to the system. They watch for unathorized radios affiliating..By luck yours hasnt been yet. Your radio may not be even right for Starcom21 as it was designed for ASTRO25 series radios.

i understand thanks for your concern..the radio is put away..i will let someone else handle it..thanks everyone..