Thread: MIP 5000 Local Gateway Connector

Thanks

Default MIP 5000 Local Gateway Connector

Does anybody have the pinout of the DB-25 connector on a MIP 5000 Local Gateway (L3482)? I'm trying to see if it's possible to control an APX mobile with a local gateway for a single channel by making my own cable between the two.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 560 Posts

mip5000localgatewayconnector.jpg

The manual will tell you that you have to use a remote mount APX mobile... that's BS. PTT, COR (active low, hard-coded in firmware,) and TX/RX audio are all available on the rear accessory connector.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

billyfromhill (Jun 06, 2019)

Thanks

So looking at this closer, is there any reason why a mobile other than a APX 7500 can be used with a MIP digital gateway? It would appear that all the proper pins would be present in the J2 connector of a 1500, 4500, or 6500.

Also, is there any reason why there is no "TX-" pin on the local gateway? I assume the RX- pin just gets connected to J2-14 ground pin on the mobile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billyfromhill View Post
    So looking at this closer, is there any reason why a mobile other than a APX 7500 (now 8500 works too) can be used with a MIP digital gateway? It would appear that all the proper pins would be present in the J2 connector of a 1500, 4500, or 6500.

Also, is there any reason why there is no "TX-" pin on the local gateway? I assume the RX- pin just gets connected to J2-14 ground pin on the mobile.
    If I remember correctly, 7500 was the only radio, that did SB9600 protocol when remote accessory was selected (config for MIP digital g/w). the protocol is needed for visual feedback to the MIP resource, other than that. if the intention is to park on one channel, a local gateway is all what is needed. If you are making your own cable, don't forget to put the DC blocking caps on the audio lines.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Akash1 For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jun 11, 2019)

Thanks

Gotcha, so here's how the pinout would work I believe. My Motorola dealer is going to blow a gasket when I show this to them because it's not "officially supported".

DB-25 -> J2
    2 (COR) -> 13 (CHAN ACT) (ACTIVE LOW)
    3 (RX+) -> 21 (RX FILT OUT) (CAPACITOR)
    6 (PTT NO) -> 16 (PTT) (ACTIVE LOW)
    7 (MON NO) -> 22 (MONITOR) (ACTIVE LOW)
    11 (RX-) -> 1 (GND)
    12 (TX+) -> 23 (AUX MIC) (CAPACITOR)

J2.jpg