Thread: Racal/Thales 25 Encryption DES mode

Thanks

Default Racal/Thales 25 Encryption DES mode

What type of DES is used by the Racal/Thales 25 VHF radios? A friend of mine has keyloaded an EFJ radio of mine with a DES key in ASN mode (would that be DES-XL???) and also gave me a copy of the encryption code algo so that I may encrypt my Thales 25 and Datron Guardian radios. I've entered the algo into the Thales PCProgrammer software as displayed on the KVL3000 my friend used. The algos appear to be different. Does the PCP program require inverted bits (instead of 1234 something like 2143 or 3412)? Is the Thales 25 version of DES incompatible with other models that are loaded via a KVL?Thanks for your insight.

Thanks

All of the Racal 25's did "CVSD DES" out of the box, which should be compatible with Motorola's non-XL DES. I do remember someone reporting that he could only get it to work if the DES key had only digits 0 through 9 in it--any A through F digits in the key would only result in noise being heard. Not sure if that's due to a software bug in the Racal radios or what...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbiggums View Post
    All of the Racal 25's did "CVSD DES" out of the box, which should be compatible with Motorola's non-XL DES. I do remember someone reporting that he could only get it to work if the DES key had only digits 0 through 9 in it--any A through F digits in the key would only result in noise being heard. Not sure if that's due to a software bug in the Racal radios or what...
    I believe you have to use odd parity hex codes.
    Dud

Thanks

Most DES is DES-OFB and they use the parity bit format. Some manufacturers are using strait DES EBC and full hex keys. As far as I know no one has put together a list of what manufacturer is using what formats. As would be expected Moto has 2 versions DES-OFB parity keys and DES-XL parity keys. To add to the fun Motos original DES (Sabers) was DES ECB with parity but this was quickly phased out to DES-OFB in later UCMs.