Thread: Zello: Seeking Guidance

Thanks

Default Zello: Seeking Guidance

Hi Guys

I am looking to use Zello to hear my fire department when I am at work (40 miles away). I don't need it to work both ways, just to monitor our radio traffic on my phone so I can be nosy. I like Zello due to the short latency. I have a host of radio equipment to use for the project but I do not want to tie up a laptop to do this. Any suggestions on how I can do this?

I have an old laptop now but it has some sort of driver issue that causes it to reboot and I need it to program my older gear. I also have one of those Radio-Tone VOiP interfaces but I cant seem to make it work.

Thank you for your help

Shawn N1TGE

Thanks

I have used one of the Radio_Tone units for years with no problem. I have one that has been on Rx-Zello model in 24/7/365 duty for 2-3 years

Thanks

I just ran from the RX_FILTERED audio pin and ground to a regular line in on my computer and set Zello to VOX. Works great. I have 6 radios on dedicated channels coming out my private Zello room.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. Clearly I've jacked something up on my end.

Thanks

I've been told that you can use Zello gateway in the free mode but haven't gotten it to show up as Radio in the settings. It works on Zello paid but not free. I go in to turn gateway on (true) and then check it again later and it's off (false), anyone ever run into this before?

Thanks

A bit late but this guide works for me...

https://support.zello.com/hc/en-us/a...ndows-free-app

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost Delta For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (Sep 19, 2019),Radioguy7268 (Sep 19, 2019)

Thanks

At the moment "Zello for Work" is offering free Beta Accounts for Public Safety Users, Project ZeFFR (Zello For First Responders). These accounts do not interface with a personal Zello account, only Zello Work (or that I have been able to find...) They do offer tremendous granular control of the accounts to include recordings, mapping, PC apps, etc.

For more info visit: https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zandor2426 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (Sep 19, 2019),Radioguy7268 (Sep 19, 2019),UNDfan (Sep 20, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost Delta View Post
    A bit late but this guide works for me...

https://support.zello.com/hc/en-us/a...ndows-free-app
    This is awesome! Time to experiment

Quote Originally Posted by zandor2426 View Post
    At the moment "Zello for Work" is offering free Beta Accounts for Public Safety Users, Project ZeFFR (Zello For First Responders). These accounts do not interface with a personal Zello account, only Zello Work (or that I have been able to find...) They do offer tremendous granular control of the accounts to include recordings, mapping, PC apps, etc.

For more info visit: https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing
    Thank you. Do you know of anyone actively using one of the beta accounts?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerm View Post
    I just ran from the RX_FILTERED audio pin and ground to a regular line in on my computer and set Zello to VOX. Works great. I have 6 radios on dedicated channels coming out my private Zello room.
    Are you using one computer to accept the audio from all 6 radios? How would that be done? I am guessing you could use three separate USB sound cards and split L and R channels?

Thanks

We have one at our agency. We are using a Raven Gateway which connects three radios and 10 different talkgroups on our trunking system. Each is steered to a "channel" in Zello which can be turned on or off by the user. We have about 30 users deployed at the moment (it is our beta for the beta) and more licenses available. We have been very pleased with the quality of service, minimal latency. We have used it in highly populated and remote areas with good results. The delay is negligible compared to over the air traffic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Are you using one computer to accept the audio from all 6 radios? How would that be done? I am guessing you could use three separate USB sound cards and split L and R channels?
    I have 8 USB cheapo sound cards. Each radio feeds into the computer using a program called RadioLog. The program outputs audio onto one USB card which gets rebroadcast on one of those FM transmitter and splits into a different computer for Zello. I can listen anywhere on Zello or use my dedicated FM radio: A Baofeng.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

Thanks

I have a rather unique setup in that I'm doing a feed for my city, 5 fire channels, 2 pd channels scanning on an APX8000 ( just what I had available to play with), the free gateway hooks to an Edirol UA25EX cakewalk and I pull the audio right off the GCAI. The audio is nothing short of STELLAR. Talkback is accomplished via a cakewalk output feeding a radioshop888/Joe Chung crossband coupler. I leave tx shut off for the most part but can transmit back using a number of ways depending on how the radio is programmed. Last active/priority etc.

This is not a zello work feed and is useable on the zello free app. They do not however support the gateway on this app but does work. It actually works very very well. People who have seen it usually ask to be included on it. I currently have about 6-8 users on it. This thing never shuts up..... In the 3 months its been up it's hiccupped once with the gateway logged out somehow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EM36 View Post
    I have a rather unique setup in that I'm doing a feed for my city, 5 fire channels, 2 pd channels scanning on an APX8000 ( just what I had available to play with), the free gateway hooks to an Edirol UA25EX cakewalk and I pull the audio right off the GCAI. The audio is nothing short of STELLAR. Talkback is accomplished via a cakewalk output feeding a radioshop888/Joe Chung crossband coupler. I leave tx shut off for the most part but can transmit back using a number of ways depending on how the radio is programmed. Last active/priority etc.

This is not a zello work feed and is useable on the zello free app. They do not however support the gateway on this app but does work. It actually works very very well. People who have seen it usually ask to be included on it. I currently have about 6-8 users on it. This thing never shuts up..... In the 3 months its been up it's hiccupped once with the gateway logged out somehow.
    Which gateway do you use? I'd be interested in providing a talkback path on a radio. Also, are you using a Motorola adapter to pull the audio off the GCAI or something else?

Thanks

No "gateway" box...midi audio with the cakewalk box gives best sounding audio-near digital with what sounds like better than radio quality... I'm pulling audio off the gcai with a hacked up 2 wire surveillance kit that had the right connector on it. Using cakewalk audio feeds directly into zello pc app on a $100 Lenovo windows 10 laptop bought on ebay. For talk back you use the output of the cakewalk box into a radioshop888 crossband radio coupler which uses vox conversion to ptt radio.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 378 Posts

Have been using Zello in Gateway mode from a Win10 PC in my office on our county network. Radio is an APX4500 and I'm grabbing TX and RX audio/PTT off the J2 connector. Using a SignalLink USB for the sound card which supports VOX and does a great job. Audio from the donor radio out to the app is perfect, and inbound is superb. Had this setup online for over a year and can count on one hand the downtime, most of which are due to the "I.T. crowd" pushing policy updates down to the workstation it's running on causing the machine to reboot. This is no ZFW. Just using the instructions for starting the client in gateway mode.
    My admin people love the ability to get on our admin talkgroup from anywhere out of coverage area from their phones. Cost to implement (aside from the donor radio which I already had): $119 for the SignalLink USB and the time it took me to fashion up the correct cable, and of course the spare PC (plenty of those on hand).
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

Thanks

IMG_7671.jpgIMG_7672.jpg

Heres a couple of goldwave clips taken from my zello feed off a Fire Dept alert tone remotely. I'd say that audio is pretty clean LOL