Thread: XTVA Transportable Base Station Hirose jack

Thanks

Default XTVA Transportable Base Station Hirose jack

Anyone have any experience with the Halliburton magic briefcase for the XTS3/5000? I'm trying to find out what's going on with the panel mount Hirose connector. Is it supposed to be wired exactly the same as the NTN8613 KVL/Headset adapter? If so, that makes it compatible with the fugly ducking ZMN6031A and such, right? That seems like a compromised choice considering the way a base station is likely to be used, are there any more compelling headset options out there that work with it? I've consulted MOL, and documentation specific to the XTVA Transportable Base Station is sparse.
    Last edited by triptolemus; Jun 10, 2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: fixed font

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 844 Posts

Are you sure this isn't wired as a Hirose KVL input jack?
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

I had one of them (sold it a while ago, sadly...) and I don't remember any Hirose jack. Where is the one your'e talking about?

The radio gets it's keys loaded via external KVL before it's inserted into the XTVA.

Some models of suitcase have a "Recorder" jack which is NOT a standard Hirose. It's a reverse gendered 4 pin (?) panel mount connector, the same style as the KVL uses to go to a CIU, but it's not for keyloading or a standard surveillance accessory, it's got a COS to turn on and off the recorder, and RX audio signals. They all have a "Headphone" jack, but that's a 3.5 mm (maybe 1/4") earphone type jack. Finally, some models have a "Headset" jack, but again, not a Hirose - it's like a 5 pin bayonet DIN, like the old MAXAR mikes.

Is this an XTVA suitcase? There are also PDR3500 and Spectra suitcases in Halliburton cases, those may have Hirose's on them...

If you do really have a Hirose on yours, post a picture - maybe I can help more...

Thanks

This is indeed an XTVA briefcase. That's good information on the recorder jack. I know that one isn't a Hirose, it's more like a miniature XLR but with 5 pins and a different push button release. Handy of the batwings to include the mating connector for it, as I'd never be able to find one.
    The jack marked "headset" is a Hirose, it even says so in the single piece of documentation MOL coughed up, which is just a sales feature list. It kind of makes sense that you could key load with it, but the whole point of the XTVA briefcase is that you can stick in radios that are otherwise prepared for duty. A headset sounds like a fine accessory, but there's already the 1/4" headphone jack, and the mic is of course the HHCH. That makes the "Headset" Hirose even more of a head-scratcher, as the only Moto audio accessories I'm aware of that have a Hirose are the really dopey old surveillance kits that fit the x23 to KVL adapter. If that jack could accept headsets or speaker mics from Pryme or something, that would be neat. But, I doubt it.

It's worthy of note that the XTVA itself is a little bit different than a normal one. It doesn't have the normal external volume knob, and instead has a rubber plug glued in. Guess you're supposed to only use the HHCH volume control. There might be other slight modifications to it.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FuzzyReception For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Jun 12, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Jun 12, 2019),p47r4ck (Jun 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

Interesting! All the other versions of this unit that I have seen had a larger MAXAR type DIN for that jack. I think the suitcases I encountered were converted SVA/AVA units, so the newer ones that were built from the factory with XTVA in them had switched to using a Hirose for that function. Look at Google images, search for "XTVA suitcase".

It's probably not wired as either a proper Hirose surveillance jack nor a keyload jack, it's a custom assignment just for the suitcases. Good luck finding a real schematic, you'll probably have to trace out the wiring yourself.

One thing you might try, is there were 2 Hirose based headset/mic connections in the past, one that worked with the standard KVL/Accessory adapter (like 2 or 3 piece surveillance sets), and there was an older "format" of the Hirose used on the old Expo radios. They had a headset, the same exact type used on the GP300's, but with a Hirose instead of the dual 2.5 and 3.5 mm earphone plug of the GP300. They also made a microphone (no speaker) that plugged into the same Hirose jack. Those only worked correctly with the old Expo series radios, they were a bit different from the newer Astro/Saber/Spectra surveillance adapters. Just an FYI, maybe one of the old Expo headsets will work, if you're lucky. If not, you're on your own!

Interesting tidbit about the volume knob, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

FuzzyReception (Jun 12, 2019)

Thanks

Note this is this newer B version suitcase

9. The Following User Says Thank You to radioinstl For This Useful Post:

FuzzyReception (Jun 14, 2019)