Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy RX - Ford install - help?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 893 Posts

Buy a Chevy? I have the exact same problem with my Excursion. The fix? I listen to CDs instead of the radios.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

SPECIAL_EYE (Aug 02, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    Buy a Chevy? I have the exact same problem with my Excursion. The fix? I listen to CDs instead of the radios.
    My Chevy has lots of RFI issues with the advent of the infotainment system. My 08 truck had no issues. My 14 has taken a noticeable hit on all bands when its running.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuckerm For This Useful Post:

com501 (Aug 01, 2019),Mars (Jul 31, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Aug 02, 2019)

Thanks

Our '14 Tahoe was a nightmare with RF issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alf2109 For This Useful Post:

com501 (Aug 01, 2019)

Thanks

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack except if you try to sniff it like has been said. As far as injectors and fuel pumps go, it could be a poor ground or a poorly designed ground.

As far as accelerating and it increases; it could be the fuel pump, injector and lets not forget output shaft (speed) signal feeding the ECM the speedometer information.

One easy thing (not easy without a hoist) is to check the ground on the fuel pump. Find where it is grounded, to the frame in most cases, unbolt it and buff the paint off the connection.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 2,005 Posts

All good info. Next to impossible to test by myself in a parking lot without any tools/hoists/privacy. Can't even vacuum my vehicle (cordless model) without half the ******* place coming out and asking "what are you up to". They're so nosy. I told one guy "I don't know you. It's none of your business." People are fucked. It would be nice to have a garage and live in the middle of nowhere.

I was carrying a transparent plastic container (with dividers in it) full of RF connectors/adapters with me the other day. Some ******* says "Looks like you have a pretty interesting hobby there!". I said "they're parts for my car. You should stop commenting on things people are doing or carrying with them at this building. People are entitled to privacy and don't have to answer to their neighbours. I'm not interested in making conversation with you".

You guys with houses/garages are so damn lucky.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

RFI-EMI-GUY (Aug 03, 2019)

Thanks

That doesn't stop neighbors one bit.

Well, never stopped me anyways. (big grin)
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Thanks

Some of us have large acreage with fences and rifles. Also a guest house, if interested (and you can just come across the border without signing in, like tens of thousands are doing a month here....).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Aug 03, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    All good info. Next to impossible to test by myself in a parking lot without any tools/hoists/privacy. Can't even vacuum my vehicle (cordless model) without half the ******* place coming out and asking "what are you up to". They're so nosy. I told one guy "I don't know you. It's none of your business." People are fucked. It would be nice to have a garage and live in the middle of nowhere.

I was carrying a transparent plastic container (with dividers in it) full of RF connectors/adapters with me the other day. Some ******* says "Looks like you have a pretty interesting hobby there!". I said "they're parts for my car. You should stop commenting on things people are doing or carrying with them at this building. People are entitled to privacy and don't have to answer to their neighbours. I'm not interested in making conversation with you".

You guys with houses/garages are so damn lucky.
    Your neighbors must be pretty bored or have no day jobs. I lived at a place like that. I did get a pretty tempting invite from a tipsy stewardess next door, who told me she had just broken up with her boyfriend. (Kicking myself days later).

You should keep a stack of bibles in your trunk and when they bother you, tell them you are a bible salesman and then go into a long winded sales and Chistian recruitment pitch. Or you could tell them you sell funeral plots and describe the mortuary arts in graphic details to them.

Of course those could all go wrong if they are born again or Goths. Maybe a Scientolgy pitch would be safer.

Do they have a Hacker or Maker Space up there?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Aug 03, 2019),com501 (Aug 03, 2019),Mars (Aug 03, 2019),medic550 (Aug 03, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    You should keep a stack of bibles in your trunk and when they bother you, tell them you are a bible salesman and then go into a long winded sales and Chistian recruitment pitch. Or you could tell them you sell funeral plots and describe the mortuary arts in graphic details to them.

Of course those could all go wrong if they are born again or Goths. Maybe a Scientolgy pitch would be safer.
    Jehovahs Witness might have better results at making them walk away than the Christian tactic.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bstafford For This Useful Post:

RFI-EMI-GUY (Aug 03, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstafford View Post
    Jehovahs Witness might have better results at making them walk away than the Christian tactic.
    Honestly in my expereince, JW are very cordial when you tell them that you are happy with your religion, thank you . The Born Again Christians like to keep probing for a hole in your life. Are you saved? Is the concern they all have. I am thankful so many Christians in my life are concerned that I may go to hell. I trust they go home and say a prayer and put in a good word for me. Apparently I need all the help I can get!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Mars (Aug 07, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 687 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alf2109 View Post
    Our '14 Tahoe was a nightmare with RF issues.
    Civilian or PPV? All of the PPV Tahoe installs I've done haven't had any problems. Granted, I have yet to put a low band radio in one (might find out by the end of the year) but high band and up work fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    Civilian or PPV? All of the PPV Tahoe installs I've done haven't had any problems. Granted, I have yet to put a low band radio in one (might find out by the end of the year) but high band and up work fine.
    An SSV with V & U XTLs. Maybe the upfitter, but the RF noise would come and go. Additionally, the factory AM/FM would go silent for minutes or hours at a time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 687 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alf2109 View Post
    An SSV with V & U XTLs. Maybe the upfitter, but the RF noise would come and go. Additionally, the factory AM/FM would go silent for minutes or hours at a time
    Interesting. Would def need to see the work done by the upfitters before definitively pinning it on the vehicle chassis.

All of the ones I've done sourced B+ and ground from the aux battery, and all of the antennas were installed with paint scraped off the metal inside and less than 1 ohm resistance from shield to battery ground at the device. The NMO kits were Larsen NMOKHFUD which are continuous impedance and use braid over foil RG58.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    Interesting. Would def need to see the work done by the upfitters before definitively pinning it on the vehicle chassis.

All of the ones I've done sourced B+ and ground from the aux battery, and all of the antennas were installed with paint scraped off the metal inside and less than 1 ohm resistance from shield to battery ground at the device. The NMO kits were Larsen NMOKHFUD which are continuous impedance and use braid over foil RG58.
    Purportedly, the AM/FM issue is a known problem with the 14-15 'hoes. No way the upfitters scrapped any paint when they did the install.
    Our fleet has been replaced by Fords . . . The new upfitters seem to have brought their own set of issues. I'll be posting XTL install pics later today.

Thanks

Another vote for fuel injectors. Had a Freightliner with a commonrail Cummins that did exactly this.

Thanks

Just yesterday I troubleshot a "squigley screen" complaint on a Init CoPilot system down to the AC compressor unit on a bus.

Buses in general have trashy electrical systems with lots of things putting noise on the mains. From the mechanics perspective, everything works just fine. It starts, it accellerates and brakes, it shifts, the lights work, the doors open, the fans turn, the lift operates, the signs display, the public address makes sound, etc etc. The concept that things put noise on the DC feed is foreign to them, and they don't want to deal with it because they are working blind. I've given them buttsets to listen to the DC lines, but the noises don't mean anything to them. They want an oscilloscope of the mains on their diagnostics computer that plugs into the engine management port. All they get is a VDC measurement, and it doesn't change much under load.

In this case, an El Dorado conversion of a 2014 Chevy diesel would scramble the screen of the operator radio touchscreen. Completely unusable until you stop the engine. That's not going to happen very often when it's on route. But methodically, one fuse at a time, we disabled devices while the screen was wigging out until we got to the compressor. Lots of things made the screen glitch, but it always restored quickly. The compressor hosed it.

Me personally, I think it's a hundred penny problem, not a dollar. I think there are multiple bad grounds, battery points, and old connections adding to the overall inability of the batteries to sink the noise on the line. The compressor is just the last straw.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Aug 08, 2019)

Thanks

I have been driving Fords for most of my adult life (I'm 43) and I've also had various radios from CB to Ham to PS installed in my vehicles during most of that time. I've experienced the same symptoms that the OP described in almost every one of those Ford vehicles that I've owned. Nine times out of ten, it has always been either the alternator voltage regulator, the fuel pump, or a coil that was causing the problem. Sometimes, this can be solved by grounding the radio to a solid place on the firewall instead of directly on the battery. You might also want to add a toroid choke behind the radio on the red power wire. If that doesn't do it, then try what was previously suggested and unplug the coils one at a time, followed by tripping the inertial kill switch in the trunk. I will say that, while I do love Fords, they are some of the noisiest vehicles electrically when it comes to RF interference that there is....

27. The Following User Says Thank You to emco-tech For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Sep 09, 2019)

Thanks

Go for a drive up a hill, and as you descend take your foot off the throttle and coast down the hill.

Most (all?) modern cars shut off the injectors whilst coasting above a certain rpm (anywhere from 1200-2000 depending on the vehicle). If you have a scantool plugged in, it will show zero fuel flow.

If it is the injectors, the noise will disappear during your descent. Perhaps also try shifting down a gear just to ensure you're in the magic RPM range.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to syntrx For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Sep 09, 2019)

Thanks

Mars,

Did you ever pin down the noise source? I have a 2017 Escape with the 2.0 EcoBoost engine and was contemplating getting back into a mobile installation.

I carry around and XTS5000 setup for NA scan and have noticed that there is some RFI even up on 800 MHz that is evident when the radio is sitting in one of the cup holders in the console. I know this is not real scientific, but the radio seems to play well in other locations below the windshield and side windows when away from the console.

I'd appreciate knowing if you found the culprit.

Thanks

Mars, haven't been around much lately but just saw this thread. I have a 2016 Escape with the EcoBoost and get a very similar noise on my TS-480 HF rig, Ever find the source?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Mars, haven't been around much lately but just saw this thread. I have a 2016 Escape with the EcoBoost and get a very similar noise on my TS-480 HF rig, Ever find the source?
    Nope. Gave up. Also can't work on my vehicle as I have nowhere to do it, and every time I do, some nosy "retired mechanic" comes out and wants to ask me what I'm up to, and 52 other questions. I don't use the radios much anymore anyway, so no big deal. You guys with garages take it for granted how nice it is to have some privacy and a place to work on stuff.

Not exaggerating. Last week, I wanted to charge my battery as it's sitting at 30% for some reason (yes, alternator is fine). I open my hood -- not even 13 seconds go by, and the stalker creep is outside asking "do you need a boost?!!?!?!". He watches everything I do. I told him to stop watching everything I do and to mind his own business. Turned my back on him. I can't go out, bring anyone back or take anything up/down to my vehicle without this ******* loser watching. I hope he dies soon.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (Sep 10, 2019),Magnus (Sep 10, 2019),MotoBill (Sep 11, 2019)

Thanks

You guys with garages take it for granted how nice it is to have some privacy and a place to work on stuff.
    Oh no, we don't. I moved from a house with a garage to one with a dirt strip. Kinda hard to maintain OCD levels of cleanliness when working plopped down in the dirt. Changing oil or rotating tires in the rain is fun also .

FWIW I had a 2014 Escape with the EcoBoost. At 50k the turbo went bad, leaking oil into the exhaust, and it killed the cat as well. Dealer wouldn't cover the repair. The last straw was when it started spraying all it's coolant out at the thermostat housing. Lo and behold, fixing that required lifting the engine off the mounts. Turned out the dealer tech who had been in there last had botched the job and I could still see the tool marks where he tried to pry out the thermostat (it rotates to unlatch) and broke the housing. Cue coolant leak 20k later.

Rant over. Point being, solved my problems by trading it in for a VW Atlas.
    When in danger,
    When in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to 808_Guy For This Useful Post:

Mars (Sep 11, 2019)

Thanks

Nope. Gave up. Also can't work on my vehicle as I have nowhere to do it, and every time I do, some nosy "retired mechanic" comes out and wants to ask me what I'm up to, and 52 other questions. I don't use the radios much anymore anyway, so no big deal. You guys with garages take it for granted how nice it is to have some privacy and a place to work on stuff.

Not exaggerating. Last week, I wanted to charge my battery as it's sitting at 30% for some reason (yes, alternator is fine). I open my hood -- not even 13 seconds go by, and the stalker creep is outside asking "do you need a boost?!!?!?!". He watches everything I do. I told him to stop watching everything I do and to mind his own business. Turned my back on him. I can't go out, bring anyone back or take anything up/down to my vehicle without this ******* loser watching. I hope he dies soon.
    You sure he is not a 3 letter agency operative?!?...that includes MSI it seems now!!
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to moetorola For This Useful Post:

Mars (Sep 11, 2019)

Thanks

I keep telling Mars that I have a three car garage with all the tools and it is air-conditioned AND heated in the winter, including a water-heated floor, all he has to do is drive to Nevada.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

moetorola (Sep 18, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    I keep telling Mars that I have a three car garage with all the tools and it is air-conditioned AND heated in the winter, including a water-heated floor, all he has to do is drive to Nevada.
    Sorry man. I'm persona non grata in your country.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

box (Sep 12, 2019),com501 (Sep 11, 2019),moetorola (Sep 18, 2019)