Thread: Site/infrastructure grounding

Thanks
    Thanked 5,974 Times in 1,719 Posts

Default Site/infrastructure grounding

Let's talk about grounding. It just as important as everything else in the communications hut/shelter, but it seems to be neglected quite often. Or improperly implemented (useless).

Recently, I yanked a bunch of my gear out from a hamster site. It was a colo arrangement; for that I was grateful. I had given the hamsters permission to use the grounding bus I had installed, which was connected via 2/0 stranded grounding cable, to the building electrical ground. (Approximately 250ft elevation, rooftop).

When I had installed it last year, I had the following connected to the bus:

- Building ground
    - Outdoor mast/pipe
    - A single polyphaser

IMG_5646.jpg

I ran out of lugs and intended to finish the equipment/rack grounds with stranded 6 AWG at a later date. (This was a winter install; zero lightning threat). I fault myself for not using dual-bolt lugs, but the electrical wholesaler didn't have any in stock at the time. At least I put them on right and used Noalox. Hydraulic crimping tool, too.

A few weeks ago, I went to site to remove my gear. Long story, but the local hamsters didn't wish to be responsible for the upkeep/maintenance, but had no problem using the gear. I can't manage it from 800 miles away, and gave them multiple opportunities to step up. No luck. Equipment yanked.

Here's what I discovered when I looked at the ground bus:

Seriously. WTF. Well, I guess it beats what they had before: Doorbell wire attached to a ground screw on a plastic duplex receptacle cover.

Does anyone pay attention to grounding at the sites you've maintained/use/install? When I worked for a certain company which rhymes with "Scarecom", I saw some really ghetto shit. To be fair, this was a "before" picture; the particular job involved fixing the crap installed by someone else.

IMG_5225.jpg

Yup, a 'floating" polyphaser. It must be a fancy barrel connector or something.

There was this, too. Heliax coming straight in from a tower-mounted antenna at about 3600ft ASL, connected to the duplexer. No polyphaser. Public safety.

IMG_5077.jpg

Not sure why all these images are getting rotated. They download/look fine on my computer without the need to rotate them.

So, are you "that guy" who gets made fun of for taking grounding seriously/understanding Ohm's Law? Or do your co-workers/hams understand the significance of grounding and the liability associated with disregarding it? Sometimes it's the customer who doesn't want to pay for grounding, so the fault is theirs.

Let's not forget about Ethernet grounding blocks for microwave links.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

cyrus (Jun 11, 2019),EM36 (Jun 12, 2019),moetorola (Jun 12, 2019),phonebuff (Jun 12, 2019),radiojack (Jun 12, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Not sure why all these images are getting rotated. They download/look fine on my computer without the need to rotate them.
    Pictures can either be rotated by re-encoding the image with the pixels translated, or the EXIF orientation flag set to tell the rendering engine to rotate the image displayed after it is decoded.

When rotating an image, most software just sets the flag as it is lossless and faster, but since the forum strips EXIF data (for good reason as it may contain GPS data and other sensitive material), the rotation flag is also lost.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duggerd For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Jun 13, 2019),EM36 (Jun 12, 2019),Mars (Jun 11, 2019),moetorola (Jun 12, 2019)

Thanks

Proper Grounding is a pet pev of mine.

I absolutely loved the R56 training.

We have a CoLo building with a few other agencies inside. One particular agencies contractor came in to install equipment. I explained to him how the grounding will work, and will be inspected once completed. After words he said, but the grounding alone is going to cost me over 1500 dollars in wire and parts and I have already gave them a cost on the move.
    I told him, it has to be done properly to protect my equipment and your cust equipment. They ended up spending the money and doing it correctly after a few minor corrections.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moetorola For This Useful Post:

EM36 (Jun 12, 2019),gsxxr1300r (Jun 12, 2019),Mars (Jun 12, 2019),Viper1-6 (Jun 12, 2019)

Thanks

I try to hammer home the importance of grounding to the hams here, but get the "I always unhook everything" response. I gave up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rescue161 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Jun 12, 2019),moetorola (Jun 13, 2019)

Thanks

Another entity to not understand grounding is the phone company. Like the hamsters, they bolt to whatever is convenient or what they "think" should be a ground return.
    It is very annoying and I'm a jerk when it comes to grounding as well and I have no problem at all telling the entity that they are forbidden from turning on their equipment until the grounding is to my satisfaction.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxxr1300r For This Useful Post:

Mars (Jun 12, 2019)

Thanks

I once visited a rooftop site of an old folks home in Jacksonville FL that had their ground wire going to the gas line. I promptly removed it and put it where it should go.

I also went out to a hammy repeater that had been damaged by lightning just to find out that the cell phone company that rhymes with AT&T removed the repeater ground cable off of the bus bar to make room for their own.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Echo4Thirty For This Useful Post:

Mars (Jun 12, 2019),moetorola (Jun 13, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,974 Times in 1,719 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Echo4Thirty View Post
    AT&T removed the repeater ground cable off of the bus bar to make room for their own.
    That's when you remove their ground and use a stun gun on all of the i/o lines. What a bunch of **** knoggins.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

moetorola (Jun 13, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 803 Posts

220v to data lines also works well....
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    220v to data lines also works well....
    Are you referring to the Etherkiller?

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to axel For This Useful Post:

bellyacher (Jun 14, 2019),com501 (Jun 14, 2019),EM36 (Jun 14, 2019),Mars (Jun 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Are you referring to the Etherkiller™?
    A remarkable product listing. Do they offer good support?
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    A remarkable product listing. Do they offer good support?
    I'd be interested in an NSN version.
    When in danger,
    When in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 560 Posts

I never got a chance to take formal R56 training, but I did get a chance to work with Motorola's trainer for the region for a few days. I learned more about NEC and grounding from him than I probably would have in the class.

The biggest issue I've run into at shared sites is not being able to bring the whole site up to code. You can do your stuff to spec, but if the guys across the room aren't done right it doesn't really do any good.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Mars (Jun 15, 2019)