Thread: How to choose Thales battery chargers

Thanks

Default How to choose Thales battery chargers

Sorry if this seems like a really noob question, but the outdated and sparse manuals I've found in a couple hours of googling aren't telling me what I want to know.
    Which charger is which? I'm looking for a charger for my GTS/Honeywell Racal 25 battery, which is on it's way to me right now. There seems to be at least two different styles, a 'reclining' one and a box shaped one with a lock, presumably for mobile use. Of the ones with the radio laying back, there's a few variations such as Racal branding, Thales branding, one with a fuel guage, and several different firmware versions. They all seem to have five pins at the bottom of the cup. Are there any major variations in functionality, particularly as it relates to the GTS battery? Are there any particular model numbers that are better than others, or ones to avoid?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyReception View Post
    Sorry if this seems like a really noob question, but the outdated and sparse manuals I've found in a couple hours of googling aren't telling me what I want to know.
    Which charger is which? I'm looking for a charger for my GTS/Honeywell Racal 25 battery, which is on it's way to me right now. There seems to be at least two different styles, a 'reclining' one and a box shaped one with a lock, presumably for mobile use. Of the ones with the radio laying back, there's a few variations such as Racal branding, Thales branding, one with a fuel guage, and several different firmware versions. They all seem to have five pins at the bottom of the cup. Are there any major variations in functionality, particularly as it relates to the GTS battery? Are there any particular model numbers that are better than others, or ones to avoid?
    The box type is a mobile charger, the reclining one is a desk charger. they both run on 12v. The software should be 2.10e. Both work with the Racal 25 and may be labeled either Racal or Thales. The recining one should have the charge light in the center. The other one is a Thales but has the lights off to the side and I think this was for the PRC 148 and I'm not sure if it works with the 25.
    Dud

Thanks

The cube one is the newer charger just for the T-25 and has newest firmware. The slant charger is for the PRC-148 but can be used for the T-25. If you have a battery that can not be charged in the cube, the slant will usually bring it back ti life.
    The cube charger is preferred in all cases expect in the one noted above.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radioinstl For This Useful Post:

FuzzyReception (Oct 11, 2019),Gary104 (Nov 14, 2019),splinter34 (Jul 07, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Explains why the part number matched for one I found, but the seller insisted it went to a different radio when I asked. I ended up going with the box charger.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FuzzyReception For This Useful Post:

Gary104 (Nov 14, 2019)