Thread: Harris ARC4 to Motorola ADP Compatibility

Thanks

Default Harris ARC4 to Motorola ADP Compatibility

Trying to set up a Unity Mobile to work with a fleet of /\/\ gear running ADP. As usual, RPM's help file leaves alot to be desired.

If I am understanding correctly, the SLN (CKR in Motorola terms) and Key ID should be converted from hex to decimal, but the key value itself should remain hex?

So if my ADP key is:

CKR = 1000
    KID = 10AA
    Key = 1111AAAA1

My ARC4 key should be:

SLN = 4096
    KID = 4266
    Key = 1111AAAA1

Right?

Thanks

Correct, SLN = CKR

If the field allows 0-9, A-F it is hex. If it only allows 0-9 it is decimal. I haven't (yet) seen a case where keys were entered in decimal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duggerd For This Useful Post:

NSPD (Jun 19, 2019)

Thanks

I agree with duggerd your math is correct IF the SLN/CKR is in decimal. The same for the KID. You are also correct the key remains in hex.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

NSPD (Jun 19, 2019)

Thanks

From the RPM help file:

The values entered in the Key Number column specify the key number for the key defined in the corresponding row. Enter a decimal number from 1 to 4095.

The values entered in the Key ID column specify the key ID for the key defined in the corresponding row. Enter a decimal number from 0 to 65535.

The values entered in the Key Value (Hex) column provide the pattern used as the data for the key defined in the corresponding row. Enter exactly 10 hex characters.
    From my experience the key number column is only needed for assigning the proper key to a talkgroup or system default key, it doesn't need to align with anything in the Moto world. If you have the proper key selected and it has the proper KID and key value then you should be golden.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forts For This Useful Post:

NSPD (Jun 21, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Jun 21, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks guys.. gonna give this a shot and see how it works.

Thanks

I have confirmed that:
    1) The CKR and Key number do not have to match, but both are Decimal.
    2) KID on Motorola is HEX and on Harris, the KID is Decimal. These must match. Example: Motorola = 100 / Harris = 256.
    3) The key on both Motorola and Harris is HEX. These obviously must match.

As long as the conversion is done for the KID and the key is the same, ADP and ARC4 will communicate with each other. I used several different keys and KID's using an M7300 and an APX7000 and it worked very well.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rescue161 For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jul 02, 2019),NSPD (Jun 30, 2019),radioinstl (Jul 04, 2019)

Thanks

Default ARC4/ADP on XL-200 Portable

Quote Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
    I have confirmed that:
    1) The CKR and Key number do not have to match, but both are Decimal.
    2) KID on Motorola is HEX and on Harris, the KID is Decimal. These must match. Example: Motorola = 100 / Harris = 256.
    3) The key on both Motorola and Harris is HEX. These obviously must match.

As long as the conversion is done for the KID and the key is the same, ADP and ARC4 will communicate with each other. I used several different keys and KID's using an M7300 and an APX7000 and it worked very well.
    I know this is an old post but I can't seem to get it to work between an APX8000 and an XL-200 portable using RPM2. In the APX it is CKR 1001 and the key is all numeric 0004501234 for example.

On the Harris I have it entered in the Digital Voice settings under ARC4 as Key # 1001 and Key ID as 4097 (converting key ID 1001 to Hex). I have it entered in the Key Names list of RPM2 under index 62 as named TEST and Key ID 1001.

When I try receiving on the XL-200 it shows the correct key name from the Key Names list so it seems like it is matching the Key ID but it is not decoding.

I also can't figure out any way in RPM2 to set this P25 Conventional Frequency channel or set to transmit using ARC4. I can't find any where under this area to set the encryption. Under the System area I can set a default encryption for the whole set but when I change it to ARC4 the radio says INVALID SYSTEM - Feature Not Supported.

I can make it work with AES and DES just not ARC4/ADP.

John

Thanks

The KID on the APX is labeled "Selectable ADP Key" and it is in hex. On the Harris, the KID is labeled "Key ID" and it is in decimal. They must match.

CKR can be different on each radio. CKR is not the same as KID.

I don't have RPM2 in front of me right now, but RPM has that info under the Systems tab under Private Options. There is no area for encryption under the Conventional Sets, so it is a system-wide setting for that particular system.

Thanks

Alright.. slow your roll. You have multiple things going on here.

Does your radio even have ARC4 (Encryption Lite) enabled?

Are you loading your ADP in the APX with a KVL? if so you need to get the Key ID (not CKR) and load that into the XL-200 in decimal.

If you are trying to mix keys and and algos in a system you will need to create a group set of talkgroups, one for each key, and tell those talk groups which key to use. Then go to your conventional system and assign that group set to it, and assign your talk group to the conventional channel. I like to use talkgroup 60000+ for keys.