Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: APX NEXT Radio?

Thanks

If the county or city I live in were to try to buy these at this price, I'd show up to the city council or county supervisor's meeting where they vote to approve it and tell them how I DIS-approve of it... I wouldn't want my tax dollars going to the city or county to buy radios for $13K (or even half that amount!). That's plain absurd.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sjxts3000 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),d119 (Nov 10, 2019),KJ6PNN (Nov 13, 2019),Mars (Nov 09, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Nov 13, 2019),romanrobles (Nov 14, 2019),splinter34 (Nov 10, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjxts3000 View Post
    If the county or city I live in were to try to buy these at this price, I'd show up to the city council or county supervisor's meeting where they vote to approve it and tell them how I DIS-approve of it... I wouldn't want my tax dollars going to the city or county to buy radios for $13K (or even half that amount!). That's plain absurd.
    And where I live they would follow up my comment with "Thank you sir" and then go vote and approve it.
    That's how a local municipality ended up with their very own 9 site Phase 2 system, instead of joining the statewide mixed phase 1 and 2 system for only the cost of subscribers and anything that may need to put up around town for coverage(not much). That's not even going down the path of theold system being upgraded and having coverage gaps filled in, which would have cost SIGNIFICANTLY less than building the new system, but that was never even considered because they were told by the salesman it wasn't cost effective. This town is so blue that any purchase that goes to referendum gets approved by a landslide. Its always spend spend spend, never any asking if there is a cheaper option.

It is this exact purchasing situation that the council, the government, M, and others count on: the unknowledgable masses buying into the sales pitches and being promised the latest and greatest instead of researching other options.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bstafford For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),box (Nov 11, 2019),Mars (Nov 10, 2019),techman (Nov 10, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjxts3000 View Post
    $13K??!?!?! WTF? Thatís insane!
    To put that into perspective, a Harris AN/PRC-152A 30-520MHz + 762-870MHz combat radio with built in crypto, frequency hopping, wideband data (and P25) is "only" $8000.

Thanks

LMAO, time to throw out your brand new APX8000s you bought to replace those brand new APX7000s.

Yall see MSI's stock price action after the announcement? Was down 10% from it's all time high and hasn't recouped in spite of the larger market grinding to new all time highs this week, tells me this isn't the game changing product they thought it would be.

Their infographic is utter bullshit, claiming it takes over 10,000 hours to program 1000 radios. I wish it took me 10 hours to program a radio. Then they claim it takes 62,400 hours and 6 months to upgrade firmwares in those same 1000 radios. 62 hours per radio for a firmware upgrade? LOL!!!! Guess MSI's sales rep fucked up big time and forgot to cram wifi programming down the customer's throat and seem to be hiring Verizon/AT&T DSL installers as FTs with programming jobs.

Do MSI's shareholders see how this is going to screw them out of millions of dollars of services revenue?

Remember in 2018 when they told dealers that updating firmware in our customer's radios every 3 months was going to increase our services revenues 5x?

These poor idiots are so fresh and green out of Northwestern University with their precious little MBAs that they don't see what this does to their credibility. Just shut your mouth and write your checks folks, that's your job as the customer

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to escomm For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),box (Nov 11, 2019),Mars (Nov 10, 2019),romanrobles (Nov 14, 2019)

Thanks

Also what is this BS about no GPS? A phone with no GPS? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to escomm For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),box (Nov 11, 2019),Mars (Nov 10, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    To put that into perspective, a Harris AN/PRC-152A 30-520MHz + 762-870MHz combat radio with built in crypto, frequency hopping, wideband data (and P25) is "only" $8000.
    But only the DoD can purchase them. Those aren't available to civilians or public safety agencies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 674 Posts

So, based on the vitriol I'm seeing in this thread, I can expect the people who are carrying these around at Dayton... er, Xenia next year as clout/ego-strokes to be egged and stoned by the angry masses, right?
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

d119 (Nov 10, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000DES View Post
    Just got pricing from our local MSI "Channel Partner" and fully loaded with all bands active, a $13,000 subscriber, not to mention the required Radio Central subscription of $300 a year per sub to program your own radio.
    After having gone through the process of awarding a system contract through RFP and competitive bidding I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to protect your served agencies with IRONCLAD CONTRACT LANGUAGE. When you stipulate in RFP language that subscriber programming software and firmware updates must be provided free of charge through the life of the system, and the vendor doesn't challenge it (or better yet, agrees to it openly) once the contract is signed you can tell them to go pound sand when they try to pull $hit like this.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),box (Nov 11, 2019),Mars (Nov 10, 2019),romanrobles (Nov 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstafford View Post
    And where I live they would follow up my comment with "Thank you sir" and then go vote and approve it.
    That's how a local municipality ended up with their very own 9 site Phase 2 system, instead of joining the statewide mixed phase 1 and 2 system for only the cost of subscribers and anything that may need to put up around town for coverage(not much). That's not even going down the path of theold system being upgraded and having coverage gaps filled in, which would have cost SIGNIFICANTLY less than building the new system, but that was never even considered because they were told by the salesman it wasn't cost effective. This town is so blue that any purchase that goes to referendum gets approved by a landslide. Its always spend spend spend, never any asking if there is a cheaper option.

It is this exact purchasing situation that the council, the government, M, and others count on: the unknowledgable masses buying into the sales pitches and being promised the latest and greatest instead of researching other options.
    Let me guess, without naming the exact county...just north of Hendersonville, NC? That's exactly what happened here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TRS View Post
    But only the DoD can purchase them. Those aren't available to civilians or public safety agencies.
    My point is that if an infinitely more capable and more rugged piece of equipment, marketed to a single customer in relatively low quantities is almost half the price of Motorola's product, then anyone who pays $13k for an APX NEXT is getting fleeced.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to syntrx For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),box (Nov 11, 2019),Mars (Nov 10, 2019),motorola_otaku (Nov 12, 2019),romanrobles (Nov 14, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,984 Times in 1,988 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    So, based on the vitriol I'm seeing in this thread, I can expect the people who are carrying these around at Dayton... er, Xenia next year as clout/ego-strokes to be egged and stoned by the angry masses, right?
    I would say it would be a good indicator of how stupid/brainwashed someone is. Unlike previous years where you'd see the odd like-minded fan with an ASTRO Saber, XTS3000/5000 or even the APX, the APX Next is a whole new category of USELESS GARBAGE. Only a MORON would be dumb enough to shell out for one.

Anyone smart enough to participate within our group knows the NEXT offers absolutely NOTHING in terms of features, performance or enhancement one cannot already do with an existing radio. A $13,000 piece of shit, engineered for the sole purpose of ripping off the taxpayer is not something we need in our community, for the same reason we don't allow thieves, swindlers or crooks: The mindset and moral compass of those people is incompatible with integrity or this profession.

Motorola can go get fucked. Any Motorola sales idiot who signs up to post and defend any of this can also eat a bag of rancid, fermenting dicks. Disgusting, idiotic, zero-experience, zero-awareness tools. Take the MBA you used to land your job and trade it in for a DMF.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),d119 (Nov 10, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Nov 13, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Nov 10, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    ...I'm tellin' ya guys again - this is gonna be the NEXT Saber SI/XTS3500...

It's just not there yet from a need standpoint. It is a solution looking for a problem.
    This.

Also, at least I can program my Saber SI without an internet connection.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Avery Johannssenn For This Useful Post:

d119 (Nov 10, 2019),Mars (Nov 10, 2019),motorola_otaku (Nov 12, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    My point is that if an infinitely more capable and more rugged piece of equipment, marketed to a single customer in relatively low quantities is almost half the price of Motorola's product, then anyone who pays $13k for an APX NEXT is getting fleeced.
    The defense industry is even worse when comes to price vs. performance.

They know the military will pay out the *** for the "latest and greatest" touted equipment.

I wonder how much SOCOM will be ponying up for the new Falcon IV PRC-163's!

Thanks

They are, and that's what makes the APX NEXT's price all the more egregious.

If Motorola is charging almost double what a defence contractor charges for a superior radio, then someone's getting robbed.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syntrx For This Useful Post:

Mars (Today),splinter34 (Today)

Thanks

BUT MUH BATWINGS

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to escomm For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 13, 2019),d119 (Today),Mars (Today),motorola_otaku (Nov 13, 2019),syntrx (Nov 13, 2019)

Thanks

"Also what is this BS about no GPS? A phone with no GPS? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That will be a added feature.... with firmware hitting version 12, no date given, probably for a whopping 350 bucks per flash but only after a firmware update allows it.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ptolemy9200 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 13, 2019),Mars (Today),romanrobles (Nov 14, 2019)

Thanks

I spit my morning joe up,,,,13k???...have the lost there damned minds!!!!
    Well it appears sooooo.

Besides that radio's price, if some of you could see the prices on the System side... It is getting the point of embarrassing for even the sales staff. And them apologizing before even handing over the paper work.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,984 Times in 1,988 Posts

Future option: DMR interop. We promise. It's on the map. We promise. You can trust us.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

axel (Today),moetorola (Today)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Future option: DMR interop. We promise. It's on the map. We promise. You can trust us.
    Trust?? Making the TRBO sound like crap on purpose,,kind of trust?

DMR (non-moto) and Zello is looking better and better, I was only kidding back in the day.....but the more I think about it, it is not a bad idea.

MARS....Does this Hytera DMR/LTE radio support AES?? And what is the cost??
    https://www.hytera.us/lte
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    ...if some of you could see the prices on the System side... It is getting the point of embarrassing for even the sales staff. And them apologizing before even handing over the paper work.
    When they started trying to charge people recurring annual per-subscriber license fees just to allow a radio to operate on a system I knew they had lost their minds. Again, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of protecting yourself with contract language.

And just so we're all on the same page... let's say you're an ASTRO25 system owner with 1,000 radios. Motorola will charge you a recurring annual license fee for 1,000 radio "slots" on your system, and if you try to add 1 radio over that in PM the system will throw a license violation error. Some system components, like the KMF, flat-out will not let you add any radios over your allocated license quantity at all. It's obscene.