Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: APX NEXT Radio?

Thanks

Wondering what MSI will name the next NEXT radio??
    Seems like they kind of shot themselves in the foot with the current naming convention of APX line calling it NEXT.

BTW..Does NEXT stand for something??
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 693 Posts

Needless Embezzling Xeroxed Technology
    Queue Moderator and Scene Whore Extraordinaire.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to triptolemus For This Useful Post:

120Comm (Oct 31, 2019),EM36 (Oct 31, 2019),moetorola (Oct 31, 2019),Navy_BOFH (Nov 06, 2019),romanrobles (Oct 31, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 480 Posts

Sounds like a 20 year old Nextel married an APX.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Oct 30, 2019),EM36 (Oct 31, 2019),Mars (Oct 30, 2019),moetorola (Oct 31, 2019),slapshot0017 (Nov 01, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Wondering what MSI will name the next NEXT radio??
    Eagerly awaiting the release of the APX THEONEAFTERTHAT in '22.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 120Comm For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Oct 31, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Oct 31, 2019),EM36 (Oct 31, 2019),moetorola (Oct 31, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday),romanrobles (Oct 31, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    Sounds like a 20 year old Nextel married an APX.
    THIS^^^^^^^^LOL

LMAO.......Sorry I could not just leave a thanks. I needed to ack this comment!!! Well Played!!!
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

I feel like this is a cool idea and could've been integrated more with the older APX radios that had the LTE enabled in them. Allowing a radio to roam onto an LTE network in case of poor signal rather than using the LTE entirely. FirstNet has a lot to work up to before I would even begin to consider it for first line emergency services in the NC/SC area I'm familiar with. Verizon has this market down and ATT/FirstNet are years behind despite statements of installing new towers regularly...

Thanks

In regards to the earlier question, 'does anyone know what 'Next" stands for'? Someone at work offered 'Next Digit' (as in left of the decimal point). $xx,xxx.00 Sorry, seemed funny at the time.

Thanks

NEXT= Never EXpect Truth

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellyacher For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (Nov 04, 2019),EM36 (Nov 04, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday)

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Never EXpect 'Trbo
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Astro Spectra For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 03, 2019),axel (Nov 03, 2019),bellyacher (Nov 03, 2019),com501 (Nov 04, 2019),CQDX (Nov 04, 2019),d119 (Nov 09, 2019),KJ6PNN (Yesterday),Navy_BOFH (Nov 06, 2019),PSEhub (Nov 05, 2019),rescueman433 (Nov 03, 2019),romanrobles (Nov 05, 2019),triptolemus (Nov 03, 2019)

Thanks

Needlessly EXorbitant Transaction

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bstafford For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (Nov 04, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Nov 07, 2019),com501 (Nov 04, 2019),cyrus (Nov 04, 2019),KJ6PNN (Yesterday),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday),romanrobles (Nov 05, 2019)

Thanks

Needles EXTortion

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to splinter34 For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (Nov 04, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Nov 07, 2019),d119 (Nov 09, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,971 Times in 1,987 Posts

No Expectation of Cross-compatibility (X) with TRBO.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (Nov 04, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Nov 07, 2019),com501 (Nov 04, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I feel like this is a cool idea and could've been integrated more with the older APX radios that had the LTE enabled in them. Allowing a radio to roam onto an LTE network in case of poor signal rather than using the LTE entirely. FirstNet has a lot to work up to before I would even begin to consider it for first line emergency services in the NC/SC area I'm familiar with. Verizon has this market down and ATT/FirstNet are years behind despite statements of installing new towers regularly...
    Maybe I miss understood you?? The NEXT radio (the way I understand it) does switch/roam back and forth for voice (guessing LMR is priority over LTE). The features like ViQi that use data, use LTE.

Thanks

Like some of you mentioned, I am also wondering about the CJDN data on the query checks. Here in MN the state is a stickler about requiring dual factor authentication on devices that can access CJDN data. I don't see a portable radio offering an easy way to do that. During the webinar I asked about where the query check data comes from and received no answer. And what detail? Just clear or hit, or more on the QDP like valid/revoked/cancelled/suspended? We use Tritech like some of you, their interfaces into other systems can cost a shit ton of money and are take a very long time to implement. If this requires interfaces into CAD systems things will not be easy or affordable. I do like the idea of doing GPS tracking over 4G (doing P25 data is not realistic for us), but again there will be interfaces required to present that data in CAD.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kb0uxv For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Nov 04, 2019)

Thanks

Default NEXT MOTOROLA

apx-next-data-sheet.pdfI found info about NEXT radio posted by MOTOROLA .
    There are three kinds of people. Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who have no idea of what happened.....

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hygro For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Nov 07, 2019),NYRADIO (Nov 11, 2019),triptolemus (Nov 07, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Maybe I miss understood you?? The NEXT radio (the way I understand it) does switch/roam back and forth for voice (guessing LMR is priority over LTE). The features like ViQi that use data, use LTE.
    You are correct. I hadn't seen a spec sheet until hygro posted it and it appears to be an all-band P25 (APX8000) with the LTE support. So then I would inquire as to why not just improve the data tethering incorporated in the APX-8000 into a lte chip and market an already proven radio? Then again, I'm not in marketing for reasons.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:

Mars (Nov 07, 2019)

Thanks

New generation product marketing is aimed primarily at business decision makers. Dangling the carrot of potential cost savings in infrastructure, combined with shifting the ownership costs from capital expenditure to operating expenditure with subscription based pricing ticks all the right boxes.

Put this into a package that looks cutting edge complete with features the customer didn't even know they needed and make the business decision maker feel that they are seen in their organisation as embracing innovation, whilst reducing any risk to the decision maker's butt by ensuring full "legacy" LMR support is a winning strategy.

The decision maker is assured that they can have their cake and eat it by leveraging their LMR infrastructure with LTE used as fallback for coverage gaps until the technology "matures". This allows the decision maker to paint a no risk cost reduction CAPEX and OPEX roadmap to their leadership team.

In the meantime, M soaks up most of the CAPEX and OPEX savings with increased licensing fees and prices, still leaving the decision maker looking like a hero.

Add the factor that nobody ever got fired for buying {insert favourite dominant vendor here}.

As an ex-technical marketing engineer for a large telecommunications vendor, I can't see too many flaws in M's strategy...

Regards,
    Phil

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phil For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 07, 2019),David (Nov 07, 2019),MattSR (Nov 07, 2019),motorola_otaku (Nov 07, 2019),syntrx (Nov 07, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kb0uxv View Post
    Like some of you mentioned, I am also wondering about the CJDN data on the query checks. Here in MN the state is a stickler about requiring dual factor authentication on devices that can access CJDN data. I don't see a portable radio offering an easy way to do that. During the webinar I asked about where the query check data comes from and received no answer. And what detail? Just clear or hit, or more on the QDP like valid/revoked/cancelled/suspended? We use Tritech like some of you, their interfaces into other systems can cost a shit ton of money and are take a very long time to implement. If this requires interfaces into CAD systems things will not be easy or affordable. I do like the idea of doing GPS tracking over 4G (doing P25 data is not realistic for us), but again there will be interfaces required to present that data in CAD.
    Yup, no 2FA, won't fly in Georgia unless some agency doesn't care about losing their GCIC/NCIC access.
    My guess is as far as CAD/message switch, this is more of a push to buy their CAD/RMS product (which we didn't and won't) to get the functionality. No thanks. My CAD/RMS vendor (Central Square aka Superion aka One Solution) already has a good iOS/Android/Windows mobile platform (Freedom) which my users are trained on, is stable, and natively supports 2FA.

Just got pricing from our local MSI "Channel Partner" and fully loaded with all bands active, a $13,000 subscriber, not to mention the required Radio Central subscription of $300 a year per sub to program your own radio.

Not interested. Hey Harris! Hey EFKenwood! Hey BK! Where ya'll at?
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTS2000DES For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),box (Nov 11, 2019),Mars (Nov 09, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday)

Thanks

$13K??!?!?! WTF? That’s insane!

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjxts3000 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),Mars (Nov 09, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday),splinter34 (Nov 09, 2019)

Thanks

Taxpayers don't even get a kiss or "reach around" on sales to agencies who slurp up everything this company offers!!!!
    K1ngfish

Supreme and Exalted leader of the Mystic Knights of the Sea

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to k1ngfish For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 11, 2019),Mars (Nov 09, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000DES View Post
    Just got pricing from our local MSI "Channel Partner" and fully loaded with all bands active, a $13,000 subscriber, not to mention the required Radio Central subscription of $300 a year per sub to program your own radio.
    People will pay that for a radio/technology that's not even capable of doing TDMA simplex/conventional operation? Must be some really dumb admins out there.

With $13,000, one could buy about 10 XPR7550e subs. No need for extended warranties. If they break beyond what the average tech is capable of repairing, simply replace the radio. Any agency would still be better off -- by tens of thousands of dollars, instead of wasting money on the "premium" P25 scam.

I've said it before and I'll say it again for context: What can this radio do, that the 1M 1997 ASTRO Saber can't do, when operating voice on a conventional or simplex frequency? 99.99999% of comms are VOICE. Phase I. AES-256. Decent audio. Am I missing something here?

$30 radio vs. $13,000 radio.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 11, 2019),bstafford (Nov 09, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday),techman (Nov 09, 2019)

Thanks

At 13k per radio plus, plus and then plus some more for licensing fees then what extra software licensing needed to enable it to connect/co-exist with P25 platforms and it is the first gen radio.

Motorola is behind the 8 ball, other manufactures are onto second gen kit and about to launch the third gen at 1/3 or 1/2 the price, where motorola is out front is sales tactics and extortion via lockin.

One issue I can see around the physical design is the channel selector looks flimsy. Interesting to see what service charge will be to restore radio at the depot.
    I do not believe in political correctness BS leftest tripe
    Suck it up, HTFU and make the place great again! Work never killed anyone who did it safely

39. The Following User Says Thank You to techman For This Useful Post:

ptolemy9200 (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    People will pay that for a radio/technology that's not even capable of doing TDMA simplex/conventional operation? Must be some really dumb admins out there.
    Oddly enough the requirement for an equivalent to a DCDM in simplex/talkaround has never ever come up as a factor in technical planning of any production system. Simplex in some cases is meant to be the 'all else fails, your display is lit up in red NO COMMS or OUT RNG and your PTTs are getting bonk'd... so crank your channel selector knob to the end stop 16 and you have local communication with the other guys on scene' fallback. Other agencies prefer simplex as primary on-scene communications to eliminate the added hops (read: failure points) in between.
    The hobbyist side of me sure would like something like that to play with, but even in TRBO DCDM the timing master election adds slight additional time to channel acquisition similar to "enhanced channel access" on conventional DMR (when there really should be zero delay for that in simplex operation).

In many environments, end-of-life, end-of-support equipment can't be consciously put back into primary service in a production scenario - even though we know they may very well tune up and serve just fine in an after-life. It's well known I like to collect old equipment normally destined for recycling - but I also get told to take it home and far away from the organization and make sure no one accidentally or intentionally picks it up and tries to use it again.

If AES-256 is a requirement, even though we know the DMR standard supports it and Motorola subscriber devices in other marketing regions support it, Motorola will not support it here in AA-land, and so back to the previous point - we're not calling MSI in Malaysia to buy their products nor would they sell it to our region anyway - well, not without passing through this region's supply chain first.

I'm not disagreeing with how messed up those policies can be, but those are strategic moves to try to drive this customer market to higher-end products and they know how to play the government contract game. They even have boilerplate letters to help customers get grant funding so they can funnel those dollars back at them.

Thanks

I should've been a littler clearer with my comment: There's no P25 Phase II conventional repeater option. Not all agencies need to be on a trunking system. A local FD (you know the one) just north of here, uses a two-site IPSC configuration. Timeslot 1 is west district; timeslot 2 is east district. They accomplish dual-site operation for both districts with only two repeaters and two frequencies. What a savings in licensing, power and potentially rackspace.

It's easy for many (who are big city people) to lose sight of the fact a majority of agencies are small/county/volunteer and do not need/can't afford trunking. Granted, the particular system we have here in Alberta is FREE to access, but it requires the agency to buy the subs. Would be nice to see P25 Phase II work in conventional mode, similar to what we see in IPSC or a stand-alone repeater.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),ptolemy9200 (Yesterday)

Thanks

...I'm tellin' ya guys again - this is gonna be the NEXT Saber SI/XTS3500...

It's just not there yet from a need standpoint. It is a solution looking for a problem.

44. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to d119 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 10, 2019),bstafford (Nov 09, 2019),Mars (Nov 09, 2019),sparky (Yesterday),splinter34 (Nov 09, 2019),triptolemus (Nov 09, 2019)