Thread: astro plus vocon in a reg astro spectra??

viper314 No Longer Registered

Default astro plus vocon in a reg astro spectra??

I recently replaced the vocon in an astro spectra vhf radio because of some issues. I installed a vocon from an astro spec plus. the recieve is great but no matter what freq I try to key up on Iget a fail 001. If the vco isnt locking shouldnt that show up on the self test?? when I power the radio up now It says spectra plus but I cant read it with astro25 from the front or spectra software from the rear its like its not sure what radio little frankenstien really is LOL any ideas????

Thanks

Well you must use astro25 software and the astro plus programming cable which goes in the kvl port. This is the mic port in a dashmount. If this was a legit astro spectra the interconnect should be proper and work with a plus. You do not use the astro spectra programming cable and rib.

The correct cable is hkn6155.

If you are getting fail 001 then the freq band/range of the vocon does not match the band/range of the hardware in the radio.

Jason
    Last edited by JMR061; Nov 29, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: correct iphone typos

Thanks
    Thanked 6,305 Times in 1,799 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 664 Posts

Run through the self-test, and look at what band split is reported. There are a whole bunch of VHF AS+ radios floating around with 800 MHz tuning partitions in them. I had one, and I know of someone else who got one too. Make sure VHF shows in the self-test display, not 800 or something else.

Then, what Jason said - make sure you have a "K" or "J" range radio and corresponding tuning partition type "VHF" as well as model number having the right "J" or "K" split as well. These all have to jive.

Also make sure you have a proper Astro Spectra interconnect board in the radio, and older analog Spectra type doesn't have the additional data lines used for programming the AS+ or Keyloading the regular Astro Spectras.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Tuning partition is incorrect.
    thanks mars ill go that direction

Thanks
    Thanked 6,305 Times in 1,799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by viper314 View Post
    thanks mars ill go that direction
    FYI, we don't discuss Depot here, but Depot will be required to correct your Tuning partition problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Run through the self-test, and look at what band split is reported. There are a whole bunch of VHF AS+ radios floating around with 800 MHz tuning partitions in them. I had one, and I know of someone else who got one too. Make sure VHF shows in the self-test display, not 800 or something else.

Then, what Jason said - make sure you have a "K" or "J" range radio and corresponding tuning partition type "VHF" as well as model number having the right "J" or "K" split as well. These all have to jive.

Also make sure you have a proper Astro Spectra interconnect board in the radio, and older analog Spectra type doesn't have the additional data lines used for programming the AS+ or Keyloading the regular Astro Spectras.
    yes alpha it shows vhf and its a k split radio. it just shows failed connection weather i use astro25 on the front or spectra from the rear. but i can run the astro25 tuner on it so ill dig out my service monitor and run through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    FYI, we don't discuss Depot here, but Depot will be required to correct your Tuning partition problem.
    understood thanks

Thanks

If you can't read it with CPS properly gotta solve that first otherwise you won't be able to correct the tuning partition