Thread: VX-537 - Rarity?

Thanks

Default VX-537 - Rarity?

Recently came across a basically brand new VX-537 in a box of equipment retired from a manufacturer of radio accessories. It's the radio only, and needs some parts to get it going, but it's in excellent condition and it powers up.

Whats the story with this radio? Is it something special or what? Seems to be something NYPD used?

Anyhow, looks like a relatively solid radio, I think I'm going to replace the needed parts and try to find a battery antenna and charger for it.

Thanks

I had one a long time ago. It was marketed as a public safety grade radio. Then the NYPD seeked them out for their usage.

Thanks

They are just uncommon. I have one. Honestly slap it on eBay and it will fetch 500+ They are a rock solid radio and if they have the option board they can do MDC and GE star. Parts can still be ordered from ost Motorola/vertex dealers.

8C68EE6C-BAF6-415B-ABBE-F6BA3F279E21.jpg
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtaman For This Useful Post:

Viper1-6 (Jul 10, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks guys. Looks like I can build it out back to normal for under $20 buying the parts myself on MOL.

One thing I cannot find on MOL is the battery, charger and antenna for it. Any idea where to get these OEM parts or if I'm searching wrong? Or are they NLA?

Seems like this might be something to hang onto. Though if they are fetching that kind of coin, well, that is tempting too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,748 Times in 882 Posts

Battery is the FNB-29a, according to MOL, that's the only info they had on it. Found a couple of retailers on line that sell the battery, betting they have or can get chargers, too. The antenna looks very similar to a number of other older units, that shouldn't be an issue.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

Thanks

Antenna can be ordered on many retailers. Yaesu makes the battery as well. The charger may be the hardest part. You need a VAC-520 charger with the CA25 cup. I found one a couple of years back. The seller was in Romania though.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtaman For This Useful Post:

d119 (Jul 11, 2019)