Thread: RSSI ( Relative Signal Strength Indication ) Meter Function on Motorola MOBILE radios?

Thanks

Default RSSI ( Relative Signal Strength Indication ) Meter Function on Motorola MOBILE radios?

Is there an RSSI ( Relative Signal Strength Indication ) meter on any Motorola MOBILE radios such as the XPR 4550 or XTL5000?

I know this can be done with some Mototrbo handhelds such as the XPR 6550 and XPR 3500. This can be done with the following key sequence:

< < < > > > ( Press left arrow three times then right arrow three times ).

I would like do some testing and a mobile radio is better suited than a handheld, so would like to know if there are any Motorola mobiles that have some kind of an RSSI meter. I have several different models of mobiles other than APX units.

-RF

Thanks

A decent amount of them have the meters but they're typically reserved for trunking use only. Off the top of my head, MCS2000 and the XTL O heads come to mind. Sadly to get any of these to function in conventional mode would require firmware modification which is not currently possible.

The APX line has an RSSI display function, but it's not a bar graph and instead just a number.

Thanks

Just hook up a RMN5127, good to carry around in the tool kit

Thanks

XPR5550 with the enhanced mic will do it. Same sequence, cursor left, left, left, right, right, right.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Msingewald For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Jul 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 687 Posts

The analog Spectra would do it with a button press. Why they dropped it completely until two or three versions of APX firmware ago is beyond me.

Thanks

Thank you all for your responses. I have two different questions based on the information provided:

1) RMN5127 Microphone:

I have an XPR 4550 mobile. If I connect a RMN5127 to it, is there a way to have the radio show RSSI information on the screen?
    If so, what is the procedure to do this?

I have an HMN4079E microphone from and XTL radio which looks almost identical to a RMN5127 mike, but has a "home" pictogram on the second button from the left below the round directional button instead of a button labeled "OK" that the RMN5127 mike has. Is there a way to access the RSSI meter with a HMN4079E microphone? If so, how is it done?

I connected the HMN4079E microphone to an XPR 4550 and tried some different key sequence combinations but didn't have any success. Assuming that it's not able to do what's needed, is there anyway to modify a HMN4079E microphone to make it work?

2) Analog Spectra RSSI:

motorola_otaku, I might still have an analog Spectra. if you can provide some additional information, it would be helpful, i.e. can the RSSI info be displayed on the control head screen, if so, what type of control head(s) can be used, and what is the procedure?

I've seen with a CDM1250 that the RSSI information can be obtained from pin 15 of the accessory connector. Is access to the RSSI info similar on the analog Spectra?

-RF

Thanks

You don't need the keypad microphone for an XPR4550 as the left and right arrow buttons are on the control head. Use the same <<< >>> sequence.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foxtrotdelta For This Useful Post:

Msingewald (Jul 12, 2019)

Thanks

I have tried the arrow button sequence on an XPR4550, but it doesn't result in anything. The arrow keys work fine. Is there something that needs to be enabled by CPS? Is there a minimum firmware version needed? The radio currently has firmware version R01.09.00 and CP version 11.00.10.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Years ago we used to carry scanners to check the signal strength of our paging transmitters at call test locations. We were able to convince the boss that spectra's were a much better tool since they could read out the RSSI with an actual value.

Worked well for those of us that were hams.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyrus For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 24, 2019),motorola_otaku (Jul 15, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radio_firefighter View Post
    I have tried the arrow button sequence on an XPR4550, but it doesn't result in anything. The arrow keys work fine. Is there something that needs to be enabled by CPS? Is there a minimum firmware version needed? The radio currently has firmware version R01.09.00 and CP version 11.00.10.
    Haven't tried HMN4079 on XPR. R01.12.15 works fine

You aren't on an option-board enabled personality when you are trying this are you?

On 4550, and all 1st generation Trbo, it is a Federal Offense and OSHA noise level exposure violation to not be using R01.12.17 or S011708.

Employees will develop arthritis and/or autoimmune diseases from adjusting volume knob excessively, will damage their hearing, and will develop Anxiety disorders and PTSD from being subjected to the startling sudden blasts of loud distorted unintelligible audio from releases prior to R01.12.17.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

com501 (Jul 13, 2019),foxtrotdelta (Jul 14, 2019),Mars (Jul 13, 2019)

Thanks

The rssi meter function was added with firmware 1.09.10

You need to update your old firmware to something more modern to get the rssi meter.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    not true does not constitute false

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhub View Post
    Haven't tried HMN4079 on XPR. R01.12.15 works fine

You aren't on an option-board enabled personality when you are trying this are you?

On 4550, and all 1st generation Trbo, it is a Federal Offense and OSHA noise level exposure violation to not be using R01.12.17 or S011708.

Employees will develop arthritis and/or autoimmune diseases from adjusting volume knob excessively, will damage their hearing, and will develop Anxiety disorders and PTSD from being subjected to the startling sudden blasts of loud distorted unintelligible audio from releases prior to R01.12.17.
    What did you say? My ears are ringing!
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Jul 13, 2019)

Thanks

SUCCESS!

I upgraded the XPR4550's firmware to version R01.12.17. The RSSI meter now shows up when I do the < < < > > > key sequence.

A big Thank You to everyone!

-RF

19. The Following User Says Thank You to radio_firefighter For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Jul 15, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 687 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by radio_firefighter View Post
    2) Analog Spectra RSSI:

motorola_otaku, I might still have an analog Spectra. if you can provide some additional information, it would be helpful, i.e. can the RSSI info be displayed on the control head screen, if so, what type of control head(s) can be used, and what is the procedure?
    If memory serves the only requirement was version 6.xx or higher MLM firmware. It works with any head except an A3, and all you need to do is set a control head button for RSSI.

Thanks

Here I go necroposting again, but this may be helpful...

Most radios have in them somewhere, an RSSI line that routes from the demod section to the processor for various functions. If a good old fashioned analog meter is desired for various things best suited to an old analog meter, that RSSI line can be tapped, fed to an op-amp meter driver circuit, and piped outside the radio. You'll frequently find that analog voltage on the RSSI line inside will sit at something like 0.6v with no signal, and go up to maybe 2 volts or so at full saturation. It's easy enough to buffer it so that the meter sits at zero with no signal, and goes to full scale at saturation, and acts for all the world like a real S-meter.