Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: Anytone AT-D878UV - excellent tech radio

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gMan1971 View Post
    I use the radio as a SFR on DMR inside the trunk of a van, so it doesn't matter how big the screen is.
    Has SFR mode improved? Last time I played with the 578 about a year ago, SFR mode was pathetic with very short range.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 554 Posts

I should have been reading this thread a year ago. It may explain some of the strange things I've experienced on the coast from Cali to Canadia.

So, the public has access to FPP mobiles and portables that can be set to licensed channels, and the mobiles can turned into repeaters. Well, I've been chasing reports of impossible problems like Tillamook Co (OR) Fire VHF interfering with Grays Harbor Co (WA)Sheriff 150 miles north on the same rptr output freq, but a different input freq. Somehow, 100W ERP VHF is suddenly able to crawl up the coast a half days drive away, make a right turn at the bay, head inland a couple ten miles, and be heard strong enough to cause a beat note in receivers surrounded by forested mountains.

Or a dispatch call on fire also goes out on police, sheriff, road department, and public works as if the consoles were simul-selected, except they aren't, and we know this because it's not their base stations keying up. It only happens at night, stops before dawn, less often on a weekday, more often on a weekend, but not every weekend, and they seem to be monitoring traffic because when reporting my location while DFing, it suddenly stops.

God Bless America. I do appreciate the magnificent paychecks I've gotten chasing this stuff.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (1 Week Ago),com501 (5 Days Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    I should have been reading this thread a year ago. It may explain some of the strange things I've experienced on the coast from Cali to Canadia.

So, the public has access to FPP mobiles and portables that can be set to licensed channels, and the mobiles can turned into repeaters. Well, I've been chasing reports of impossible problems like Tillamook Co (OR) Fire VHF interfering with Grays Harbor Co (WA)Sheriff 150 miles north on the same rptr output freq, but a different input freq. Somehow, 100W ERP VHF is suddenly able to crawl up the coast a half days drive away, make a right turn at the bay, head inland a couple ten miles, and be heard strong enough to cause a beat note in receivers surrounded by forested mountains.

Or a dispatch call on fire also goes out on police, sheriff, road department, and public works as if the consoles were simul-selected, except they aren't, and we know this because it's not their base stations keying up. It only happens at night, stops before dawn, less often on a weekday, more often on a weekend, but not every weekend, and they seem to be monitoring traffic because when reporting my location while DFing, it suddenly stops.

God Bless America. I do appreciate the magnificent paychecks I've gotten chasing this stuff.
    This sounds like someone I might know on the coast...ha.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WQNV648 For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (1 Week Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost Delta View Post
    Has SFR mode improved? Last time I played with the 578 about a year ago, SFR mode was pathetic with very short range.
    Sorry, I just saw this thread.

Well, range is okay, not sure what pathetic range means... but you might lose the first second of most transmissions, the radio is just slow to acknowledge the incoming signal. It also has issues with the radio freezing up... its no longer in the van.

G.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gMan1971 For This Useful Post:

Outpost Delta (5 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WQNV648 View Post
    This sounds like someone I might know on the coast...ha.
    The coast has a lot of "characters".

Antenna sites along the coast are dear because most of the higher elevations are state or federal land with little or no access, and no utilities. So, it is not unusual to have a "tower site" on private land, and that tower may be a series of topped doug fir trees with a garden shed at the base with power run across the surface in PVC pipe. The site owners tend to greet you at the gate because you may be the first person they've seen this week.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Phoenix, AZ and Vancouver, BC (dual citizen)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post

Guys (and my Jenny)
    blush
    KB6JEN, VE7OTH, and WRDJ919 (GMRS)
    TS-480SAT, IC-7300, FT-817ND, Motorola Spectra 100W (V), Yaesu FTM-10R, XTS5000 (V/U) (x2), Astro Saber 3 (V), Uniden SDS100 and SDS200, SDRPlay Duo, Pro-2006, BC780XLT