Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anytone AT-D878UV - excellent tech radio

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p25smartzone View Post
    So I asked my buddy about the flex and he brought up a good point. The PF1 button works fine to reset the radio after a FW update so I’m kind of stumped.
    Oh, and he is going to try your idea about the flex and get back to me Mars.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to p25smartzone For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 05, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,740 Times in 1,930 Posts

Here's some bugs, if someone can pass them down the hole to China:

- Encryption keys do not save into codeplug properly. You can enter a 32-byte key into the codeplug, and write that 32-byte key into the radio, however when a codeplug is saved, or read from the radio, only the first 16-bytes of each 32-byte key are saved/read. The rest is truncated/deleted. Please fix this retardation.

- When using APRS mode, it only allows for the VFO to be used as the active RF resource. APRS does not allow for arbitrary operation from a given memory channel.

- When operating in encrypted mode, clear transmissions are not received whatsoever. This can be good, if it's a future configuration option. But many would argue it is important to receive clear comms when operating on an encrypted channel.

- There is no visual indication of the encryption status on a given channel or VFO. Ideally, we need to know when encryption is engaged. We also need to know when we're receiving a clear transmission from another user, when encryption is enabled for transmit. (TX clear alert).

- PL decode only decodes the phase shift for which is selected on a given channel. The proper configuration is to decode phase shift from 120, 180 or 240 (-120). The setting in the channel config should affect TX phase-shift only.

- Support for 40-bit RC4 encryption would be greatly appreciated, so compatibility with Motorola and Hytera subscribers can happen.

- Might want to check Call Alert and SMS functionality. It does not work properly with Motorola or Hytera subs, regardless of M or H setting. Tell the chowderheads to buy Motorola and Hytera radios so they can test for compatibility, instead of guessing/pretending.

Thanks to anyone who can pass this up through the "dealer" network. Apparently I'm not cool enough to communicate with the company I purchased my radio from. Oh wait, I'm already used to that with Motorola.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

box (Oct 07, 2019),bsdam (Today),com501 (Oct 05, 2019),kondoros (Oct 06, 2019),moetorola (Oct 07, 2019),TESTMODE (Oct 11, 2019),Viper1-6 (Oct 06, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    - Encryption keys do not save into codeplug properly.
    Reported already. Workaround for us non knuckle draggers is to directly hex-edit the codeplug.

- When using APRS mode, it only allows for the VFO to be used as the active RF resource.
    Not my experience, works fine on a memory channel, but the setup is a bit convoluted to make it work.

- When operating in encrypted mode, clear transmissions are not received whatsoever.
    Suggestion passed on. Not sure if the SCT3258 can support this, though?

- There is no visual indication of the encryption status
    Suggestion passed on

- PL decode only decodes the phase shift for which is selected on a given channel.
    Interesting... will do up a video and forward on, if I can reproduce that. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

- Support for 40-bit RC4 encryption would be greatly appreciated
    Being the masters of reverse engineering, it would be surprising if they don't already have plans to do this. But, suggestion passed on just in case they've not thought of it.

- Might want to check Call Alert and SMS functionality.
    This has been a problem from day one, I've put a lot of effort into documenting & testing this issue. Feedback seemed to indicate that this isn't a current priority to fix, unfortunately.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitaux8030 For This Useful Post:

box (Oct 07, 2019),Mars (Oct 07, 2019)

Thanks

Hi, I own an 868 and have recently acquired an 878. When scanning a scan list on the 878 the backlight never goes out, unlike the 868, is this standard on the 878 or a bug?
    Also, using firmware 1.15 the channel colour sometimes changes to Orange from whatever colour it has been programmed to!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PhelpsmanUK For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 07, 2019)

Thanks

mitaux8030, thanks for responding to my "bugs". Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mitaux8030 View Post
    Not sure if the SCT3258 can support this, though?
    It should be able to pass audio, regardless of how it's treated. On a secure DMR call, the KID and MI are sent:

Code:
    Sync:+DMR
    +DMR    MS DATA       DCC=1  Voice Hdr Enc GC TG=61201 RID=54100
    +DMR    MS DATA       DCC=1  PI Header KID=191 MI=851B3D4C Tgt=61201
    +DMR    MS VOICE
    On a clear call, they are not sent. Upon detection of the KID and MI, the data should be decrypted (processed), then sent through the vocoder. Either way, the end result is analog audio which is sent out from the vocoder and into the audio PA. The condition for not processing secure audio (stay muted) should be when there's no matching KID detected in the encryption key list.

Maybe there are limitations I'm not aware of, but the other vendors can do it just fine.

With respect to the SMS and CA bugs, I'm just curious what their priorities are, if they don't include fixing of core DMR features which don't work? I know you don't speak for them and likely don't have an answer. I don't understand how their brains work. If I was a product developer and core features weren't working, they would be on the list of priorities.

They have to stop thinking like hammies and start thinking like professionals. Otherwise, they, along with other CCR brands, will not be taken seriously. So frustrating.

Thanks

Oh, and further to the PL reverse burst phase-shift thing, perhaps they can make it a per-channel setting, instead of a global value. Unless of course think their customers are only programming one analog frequency into the radio?

Thanks

It seems that all the layer 2 & 3 stuff is done inside the SCT3258, including encryption/decryption. At a guess, it always applies AES functions if enabled by the channel - no intelligent analysis of the frame / super-frame. I have a contact at CML who own SiComm, will see if they are receptive to the suggestion.

I wasn't able to replicate the RTB issue, and it seems to only influence TX phase shift for me? But it does have issues properly & quietly muting with some valid RTBs since 1.13 came out. Longer phase shift tails >300mS still cause the mute to chatter too. A per-channel setting would be ideal, and it would only a few bits worth per channel. Good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Something that might explain some of their choices is they're busy getting the mobile version of the 878 ready for release. Many of the features - and firmware coding - are common between the two, so maybe they're concentrating efforts on bugs that are common to both models first?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mitaux8030 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 08, 2019)

Thanks

I think the 578 mobile, I think it is???? Is just an 878 with an amplifier, so FW would likely be easy between them.

Funny how the hams on various FB groups are up in arms because of the power out specs, claiming they won't buy this mobile because it does not do 50watts on VHF and only 35watts on UHF and the big issue, 10watts on 220 is unacceptable and the engineers need to get there head out of there asses!
    I just SMH!!!

I do not know the exact specs....
    Some Hams cannot be happy with anything...LOL.

On a side note, has anyone had issues with roaming list with 1.15, mine locks up now when turning on roam.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    I think the 578 mobile, I think it is???? Is just an 878 with an amplifier, so FW would likely be easy between them.
    The 578 is 'true' dual-band receiver (868/878, not so much) and has several new options in FW/CPS to support the additional programmable keys on the front panel and mic, and new audio options (there is a speaker in the mic, and in the deck itself, all configurable in CPS). It uses the same baseband chip as the 878, so it does AES.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vocoder For This Useful Post:

com501 (Oct 08, 2019),moetorola (Oct 08, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vocoder View Post
    The 578 is 'true' dual-band receiver (868/878, not so much) and has several new options in FW/CPS to support the additional programmable keys on the front panel and mic, and new audio options (there is a speaker in the mic, and in the deck itself, all configurable in CPS). It uses the same baseband chip as the 878, so it does AES.
    The biggest issue with the 578 IMO, is the lack of remote-mount kit. Massive oversight. Hopefully they come out with a powered Bluetooth control head. (Running on batteries wouldn't make sense)

Only hammies find dash-mount acceptable. Where does a normal human mount a dash-mount radio in a modern vehicle? It doesn't go on the dashboard, and it doesn't go under the dash/side of console. Get into crash and your lower extremities are compromised.

Here's a screenshot from an incident in Wellington City, UT. (Police). Why would anyone mount the mic near the officer's knee?

dash.jpg
    Collision. Goodbye knee.

If the 578 gets a BT HH or a remote kit, then it's worthy of consideration for a mobile environment. Until then, it's a base radio.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

moetorola (Oct 08, 2019)

Thanks

Just watched some videos on the 578... not bad looking, I'm curious what the price point will be. And of course it has a hideous mic with a zillion buttons on it and an effing PL-259 antenna connector... sigh...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Forts For This Useful Post:

Mototom (Oct 09, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forts View Post
    And of course it has a hideous mic with a zillion buttons on it and an effing PL-259 antenna connector... sigh...
    It's called "Hammy". Hammy is a polite way of saying "******* retarded".

Thanks

Oh, and he is going to try your idea about the flex and get back to me Mars.
    So, my buddy got back to me. He opened the radio up, everything was seated as it should be. Still working as a PTT....

Looks like its return time....

Thanks

So, my buddy got back to me. He opened the radio up, everything was seated as it should be. Still working as a PTT....

Looks like its return time....
    Yeah. If it's warranty, that makes sense. But I still feel this is a mechanical defect, simply because all the PF1 button is, is an I/O line. It's crossing paths with the PTT I/O, or it's sending a specific voltage back to the CPU, which is being interpreted as PTT's I/O. (Some of these devices work by using different pulldown resistors/voltages to send different I/O messages). Could be a bad resistor? Could be a trace that's too thin (high impedence), who knows. Don't waste further time if it's under warranty.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

p25smartzone (Oct 08, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 878 Posts

Bad wave solder or parts placement issue perhaps? Ship it.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 878 Posts

The biggest issue with the 578 IMO, is the lack of remote-mount kit. Massive oversight. Hopefully they come out with a powered Bluetooth control head. (Running on batteries wouldn't make sense)

Only hammies find dash-mount acceptable. Where does a normal human mount a dash-mount radio in a modern vehicle? It doesn't go on the dashboard, and it doesn't go under the dash/side of console. Get into crash and your lower extremities are compromised.

Here's a screenshot from an incident in Wellington City, UT. (Police). Why would anyone mount the mic near the officer's knee?

dash.jpg
    Collision. Goodbye knee.

If the 578 gets a BT HH or a remote kit, then it's worthy of consideration for a mobile environment. Until then, it's a base radio.
    A buddy in a neighboring department to mine was driving a UC with the mike mounted in the same relative location, in that 'convenient' spot between leg room and center console. In the accident, there was so much damage to the area around his right knee that he had to retire and never walked very well after that. The Motorola metal case microphone took the knee joint and some tendons that were used to flex the knee. This was 1980, not much could be done at the time.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 08, 2019)

Thanks

Looks like a codeplug error. There's got to be a space or invalid/illegal character somewhere in the data. Check for an extra decimal, space or field that's not set. I know it's not exactly Moto CPS with the detailed error reporting
    Went through the Import CSV... I missed a decimal place on a transmit frequency at the very end of my import list...

Thanks for the help!
    Seth

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c17lvfd For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 08, 2019),mitaux8030 (Oct 09, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhelpsmanUK View Post
    Hi, I own an 868 and have recently acquired an 878. When scanning a scan list on the 878 the backlight never goes out, unlike the 868, is this standard on the 878 or a bug?
    Also, using firmware 1.15 the channel colour sometimes changes to Orange from whatever colour it has been programmed to!
    Just to clarify, it is the callsign colour that sometimes changes to orange when the codeplug is downloaded to the radio, no matter what colour is set in the CPS. If the same codeplug is downloaded a second time, the callsign is set to the correct colour.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PhelpsmanUK For This Useful Post:

kondoros (Oct 09, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c17lvfd View Post
    I didnít see this posted and thought Iíd share.

Iím liking the 878 but strongly dislike the volume and channel knobs. I saw someone tried some HT1250 knobs that worked alright but didnít love the mod.

Digging around I stripped my 7550ís volume and channel knobs and they work REALLY WELL!! Volume knob needs NO modification. Channel knob needs a little booring out with a 7/32Ē drill bit. You do have to seat the metal retainer deeper in the knob but a relatively minimal amount of work and... done!

Attachment 13288

Seth
    On the channel knob, did you have to remove the metal retainer first, bore it out with the drill and then re-seat the retainer deeper. Just wondering, I'm having a bit of difficulty removing the retainer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mototom View Post
    On the channel knob, did you have to remove the metal retainer first, bore it out with the drill and then re-seat the retainer deeper. Just wondering, I'm having a bit of difficulty removing the retainer.
    Mototom,

You are correct. The retainer needs to be seated deeper in the knob to get the knob to sit correctly. I had to bend the retainer inward and pull it with needle nose pliers to initially remove it.

I hope that helps.
    Good luck!
    Seth

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c17lvfd For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 09, 2019),Mototom (Oct 10, 2019)

Thanks

Where does a normal human mount a dash-mount radio in a modern vehicle? It doesn't go on the dashboard
    I had to build reinforcement brackets to support my "traditional" dash-mount configuration. The interior materials are super flimsy on modern vehicles.

ram_radio_dash_reinforcement.jpg

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRENT310 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 10, 2019),Navy_BOFH (Yesterday)

Thanks

So Is it too much to ask them for P25 Conventional in the next update? Cause that would be niiiiiice. :-)

37. The Following User Says Thank You to p25smartzone For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Oct 11, 2019)

Thanks

So Is it too much to ask them for P25 Conventional in the next update? Cause that would be niiiiiice. :-)
    That sure is some wishful thinking there...
    That said, id be placing an order for 50 as soon as I read Mars' post vetting it.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bstafford For This Useful Post:

box (Oct 11, 2019),bsdam (Today),p25smartzone (Oct 11, 2019)

Thanks

Same here. Add that, and it would be the best tech radio on the market.

We ordered a few of these in their current config to interface with an ACU2K to be able to talk to the smaller departments in the state in a disaster response scenario. Mobile will be great for that application when widely available.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstafford View Post
    That sure is some wishful thinking there...
    That said, id be placing an order for 50 as soon as I read Mars' post vetting it.
    Don't count on me promoting Anytone until they start listening to feedback and stop isolating themselves from customers. Those are attributes they don't want to copy from Motorola.

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

box (Oct 11, 2019),bstafford (Oct 11, 2019),Mototom (Oct 11, 2019),Navy_BOFH (Yesterday),p25smartzone (Oct 11, 2019),TRENT310 (Yesterday)