Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Anytone AT-D878UV - excellent tech radio

Thanks

What are the tones of the other dept that it's alerting on, do you know? Seems pretty odd if you only have 1 set of tones programmed and it's alerting on something completely different. I have my departments tones in my radio (3 stations) and haven't observed any issues but I can't say I've used it a lot.

Thanks

In the analog channel setup you can pick which of the 16 tone sets you want to use.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Forts For This Useful Post:

Notarola (Jun 29, 2020)

Thanks

Default Anytone AT-D878UV - Excellent Tech Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    OK it sounds like all 16 are active. If there are tones associated with each memory then maybe thats why your getting phantom decodes. Look at the per channel options and see if there is a way to select just the one memory in the tone decoder. If not set all the other memories to something weird like 1090hz/1050hz
    Thank you for the reply. I am trying that now. I deleted all of the other 2 tone memories, so I will see if this helps.

Thanks

As forts said. if you can Id the other tones setting the raio off then you can use that to also track down whats going wrong.

Thanks

Default Anytone AT-D878UV - Excellent Tech Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    As forts said. if you can Id the other tones setting the raio off then you can use that to also track down whats going wrong.
    Since deleting the other tone pairs that I wasn't using, I haven't had a problem.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim1348 For This Useful Post:

mitaux8030 (Jul 01, 2020),PSEhub (Jul 01, 2020)

Thanks

I think the AES256 is still broken for F/W version 1.19. I cannot get an 878 to talk to a 578 with AES256 enabled on both radios or visa-versa. Simple key of all 1's was used to test. I also tried a randomly generated key, same results. My 878 has other weirdness happening when AES is enabled. When on a secure channel and PTT is pressed the radio transmits for about 1 second and stops transmitting on its own. The radio continues this behavior even if switched to a non secure channel. The radio must be power cycled to clear this. I only have the two Anytone radios to test AES256 with. Both ghetto versions of encryption work ok for both radios.
    "I Just did 110 down this ******* road" - J. Dewitte

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mototom View Post
    I think the AES256 is still broken for F/W version 1.19. I cannot get an 878 to talk to a 578 with AES256 enabled on both radios or visa-versa. Simple key of all 1's was used to test. I also tried a randomly generated key, same results. My 878 has other weirdness happening when AES is enabled. When on a secure channel and PTT is pressed the radio transmits for about 1 second and stops transmitting on its own. The radio continues this behavior even if switched to a non secure channel. The radio must be power cycled to clear this. I only have the two Anytone radios to test AES256 with. Both ghetto versions of encryption work ok for both radios.
    Did you try mitaux8030's work around yet, with adding at least two AES keys, and don't use the last key?

Quote Originally Posted by mitaux8030 View Post
    OK, partly my mistake, partly a bug.
    All keys ARE working fine, I had the key index offset by one for some of my keys. Matched them all and everything is fine.

But... there is still a definite bug where the very last encryption key defined in the 878 is unable to be selected in CPS properly. Attach it's index to a channel and it looks fine. Go out of that channel and back into the channel edit interface and the index is back to 'off'. Workaround for the time being: enter a dummy last key, and just don't use it.
    I'll bug report that.

But otherwise, AES is working fine (after fixing my index issue)

Thanks

Yes I saw that post and tried that. I'm still not able to get the 878 to TX for more than 1 second when AES256 is enabled on a channel. When I TX on the 578 to the 878 using the same key, the 878 does not decode the transmission. I'm wondering if this is happening because my 878 is an upgraded 868. From everything I read about the 868 hardware version 2 it is the same radio as an 878.

Thanks

One of my 878s began life as an 868, and it works just fine with about a dozen different AES keys.
    Some weird things can happen if a codeplug that has been Frankenstein'ed together is used, or reused between firmware upgrades, or no reset performed between firmware upgrades. I had one such instance where nothing but a short tone was transmitted then the TX cut out.
    Religiously follow this process when upgrading firmware:

1.Under the original firmware, before you do any upgrades, export everything (Tool > Export > Export All). Also write down all of your Optional Settings & AES keys, as the Export All doesn't save those.
    2.Power up the radio holding the PTT and top orange / blue button, and ensure the red LED is flashing. Upload the new firmware using the CPS software menu Tool > Firmware and Icon Update
    3.RESET the radio - this step is very important! If you do not do this, the old data in the radio could conflict with the way the firmware expects the memory to be formatted after upgrading.
    4.If there is a baseband update with the new firmware release, do this now. Power up the radio holding the top orange / blue button and the # button until the message "This is Boot Mode for SCT!!!" is displayed. Use a freshly installed version of the SCT_PORT Host Controller software on your PC to send the new SCT3258 hex file to the radio. Older versions of the SCT_PORT Host Controller software may not be able to load all the required information, despite giving no error or other failure indication
    5.If there is an icon update with the new firmware release, do this now. Power up the radio holding the PTT and the lower side button until the message "UPDATE MODE" is displayed. Upload the new icon file using the CPS software menu Tool > Firmware and Icon Update
    6.Install new version CPS
    7.Go to Tools > Options and tick the GPS / Bluetooth / 500 Hours record / APRS options that apply to your radio.
    8.Now read from the freshly reset radio (yes, you are reading a ’blank’ radio, that is OK)
    9.Import everything saved from step 1
    10.Finish off your codeplug by attending to the Optional Settings & AES keys and confirm all is correct
    11.Send the freshly rebuilt codeplug to the radio
    12.If you had a custom start up picture or background pictures, send those to the radio now
    13.Finally, save the codeplug and ensure you use this saved file as the basis for any further changes you may make

To refresh your existing codeplug, essentially do the same process, just skip steps 2 and 4-7.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mitaux8030 For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Jul 13, 2020),Forts (Jul 13, 2020),Mototom (Jul 13, 2020),photo8 (Aug 10, 2020),PSEhub (Jul 14, 2020),SPECIAL_EYE (Jul 16, 2020)

Thanks

I appreciate your assistance.

I tried the process, skipping steps 2 and 4-7. No joy. The radio still behaves the same.

Thanks

If you like, email me your rdt codeplug file (changing AES keys and other text tags / frequencies to something so they can't be identified) and I can see if the fault is replicated on my 878 that once was an 868. email is my user name at hotmail.com.

Thanks

Thank you for the offer of help mitaux8030. I was away for a few days so no time to experiment.

I just created a very simple codeplug from scratch with two digital channels, one clear and one with AES on. 3 keys in the list, number one key selected. Still the same behavior.

I will send you the codeplug. No rush, have a look at your convenience. I'm just experimenting with it so no need for urgency.

Thanks a bunch...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mototom For This Useful Post:

mitaux8030 (Jul 21, 2020)

Thanks

I'm not sure how this works for 868 to 878 conversions, but at some point around FW1.14, a baseband file needed to be updated on the 878 (in addition to the usual FW update) to enable AES. All kinds of random issues, not unlike what you're describing, happen when the 'baseband' file version is out of date.... might be worth a look.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Vocoder For This Useful Post:

Mototom (Jul 23, 2020)

Thanks

Any other inexpensive DMR radio with AES? Despite my advice I have someone asking me to find out of they exist.
    I need units, I need units NOW! -J. Dewitte

20. The Following User Says Thank You to max2770 For This Useful Post:

Mototom (Jul 23, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vocoder View Post
    I'm not sure how this works for 868 to 878 conversions, but at some point around FW1.14, a baseband file needed to be updated on the 878 (in addition to the usual FW update) to enable AES. All kinds of random issues, not unlike what you're describing, happen when the 'baseband' file version is out of date.... might be worth a look.
    That exactly what the problem was Vocoder. mitaux8030 was assisting me off line.

Thank you again mitaux8030 for the help. Very much appreciated! Cheers !

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mototom For This Useful Post:

mitaux8030 (Jul 26, 2020),Vocoder (Jul 24, 2020),xpr8300 (Jul 24, 2020)

Thanks

I don't think the 878 is that great, really. It's fancy, has bells and whistles, but it falls short in the most important aspect of a radio, the RF section. While the 878 is better than the Baofeng level CCR stuff, I still think in terms of receiver performance they fall short compared to commercial grade gear, and especially so when you throw a couple of 100 kW TV stations blasting 0.9 miles from your home into the picture. Intermod is a serious problem where I live, and the only radios that don't suffer from intermod are the Vertex Standards and Motorolas I own. Every other ham grade radio I own, including some decent mobile radios like the TM-v71a, those all suffer from intermod to some degree.

Back to the 878 subject: I did had a chance to pit the 878 against my commercial grade stuff with a SINAD meter/signal generator. And as stated, even before the test began I noticed the intermod problem, that was a bad sign. Again, intermod is a problem where I live. You might live in a deserted island and you'll never experience intermod... Even when using those 878 for FM GMRS (UHF), you can occasionally still hear the NOAA from 165.550 (placed on a 1400 foot tower 0.8 miles from home) breaking the squelch. In comparison, I don't have any intermod issues with any of my commercial radios. The biggest test I found to determine how poor a receiver is adjacent channel rejection, you add a couple of kHz to the channel and see how much dBm you need to increase before the signal is lost. The 878 was subpar compared to the EVX-539 on VHF. Sure, the 878 is tri band, has a fancy color screen, gazillion contacts, etc, etc etc. but that's how they get you. I own an AT578, which didn't fare much better than the 878, and two Alinco MD5s, which also suffers from intermod. Worth mentioning that I used to own three Alinco MD5s, but one broke when I accidentally dropped it from the tactical belt onto the ground... lets just say I wasn't happy when that happened. In contrast, I've had my Vertex radios drop from a 2nd floor and survive the fall...

In terms of audio, I found the Alinco Md5 to have better audio than the 878, by my standards. I returned both of my 878s and kept my MD5s b/c aside from the MD5s sounded better, the MD5 had a bit better weak signal edge plus they were smaller too. After my MD5 broke I went back to the trusty EVX539, no issues since. It was nice, but if you want durability, those 878 might not be the radios you want to trust your comms in a SHTF situation.

In terms of the XPR6550 audio quality Mars stated: I just purchased my first XPR6550, and the audio is leaps and bounds better than pretty much anything CCR out there, and I own a very large CCR collection... Now, I don't have an 878 anymore to compare the audio against the 6550, but I find the 6550 on par with the MD5, and I would argue the 6550 sounds better than my EVX-539/4/1 portables...

I had a chance to program a couple of friend's 7550e, and those were arguably the best sounding radios I've ever come across. Unfortunately, no easy AES to interface with the EVX radios means a no go, which is a shame, b/c I am more than willing to surrender all my savings to the Moto gods, but alas, they refuse to take it by doing nonsensical things like the AES situation, oh well. I won't touch Hytera, for reasons I won't utter here, so we can skip that. I am at a point in which I've found the EVX series of radios to be the best compromise. They don't have the super duper fancy screens of the 878/7550e, they are single band only, but they have superb receivers and are pretty much indestructible in case of drops, or a SHTF... plus they also offer AES256 without any hassles.

G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by max2770 View Post
    Any other inexpensive DMR radio with AES? Despite my advice I have someone asking me to find out of they exist.

I would suggest the Vertex Standard EVX-5xx series. The CPS software, firmware, etc, are free to download (provided you have a MOL account) Antennas are compatible with Motorola SMA antennas.

All 5 models support AES256. The 531, 534, 539, and the 534(ED) and 539(ED) (enhanced display)

G.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,388 Times in 2,315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gMan1971 View Post
    I would suggest the Vertex Standard EVX-5xx series. The CPS software, firmware, etc, are free to download (provided you have a MOL account) Antennas are compatible with Motorola SMA antennas.

All 5 models support AES256. The 531, 534, 539, and the 534(ED) and 539(ED) (enhanced display)

G.
    Yes, but do the radios come with it as a standard option? As Vertex means dealing with Motorola, getting AES would normally involve a process similar to inserting my manhood into a pencil sharpener and turning the handle until I had nothing left except perhaps some mangled flesh, then doing it some more just because I can't get enough Motorola in my day. And when someone else walks by with a functional AES radio, I'd keep grinding my stump down to the point where there's nothing left in the pencil sharpener. Even when there's nothing left, I'd still keep doing it with an insane look on my face, holding up the entire line behind me of others who are going to do the exact same thing.

Yes, that's Motorola brainwashing. It's become that bad.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

SPECIAL_EYE (Aug 09, 2020)

Thanks

@Mars, LMAOO.... I sent you a PM... hahaha... hopefully we can keep the pencil sharpener to just sharpen pencils... instead of... well... other "more graphic" things.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Yes, but do the radios come with it as a standard option? As Vertex means dealing with Motorola, getting AES would normally involve a process similar to inserting my manhood into a pencil sharpener and turning the handle until I had nothing left except perhaps some mangled flesh, then doing it some more just because I can't get enough Motorola in my day. And when someone else walks by with a functional AES radio, I'd keep grinding my stump down to the point where there's nothing left in the pencil sharpener. Even when there's nothing left, I'd still keep doing it with an insane look on my face, holding up the entire line behind me of others who are going to do the exact same thing.

Thanks

"I've had my Vertex radios drop from a 2nd floor and survive the fall..."

Both of them was that at the same time? Whats with that LOL.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to SPECIAL_EYE For This Useful Post:

Mars (Aug 09, 2020)

Thanks

LOL, no no... it was a race... you see, find out which one landed first.

One of my EVX portables tumbled down the roof and landed on the concrete patio. I was expecting a dead radio on my way down to pick it up, but when I picked it up it was still powered on, the screen wasn't damaged or cracked and it received and transmitted just fine, with no apparent marks of damage anywhere. After the subsequent alignment test to ensure it wasn't toast, everything checked out as well. Again, after experiencing first hand the MD5 "resistance to falls" I don't think I would ever consider the 878 as my primary SHTF radio if I am given the choice.

G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post

They do support AES out of the box, at least on the EVX-S24. No entitlement BS.

However, their implementation of AES is not compatible with anyone else's (particularly ETSI). If you invest in a Vertex AES fleet, you need to keep in mind that Motorola may well axe that entire product line sometime down the track. I think the EVX-S24 is the only model left on the market now.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me how you tell the hardware version of an Anytone AT-D868UV can it be done from the keypad, (this is the AT-D868UV not the AT-D878UV)?
    Last edited by SPECIAL_EYE; 3 Days Ago at 06:52 PM. Reason: specify hardware version.

Thanks

New firmware update V1.20P just dropped on http://www.anytone.de/

So far, it's working fine on my 878.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to AD0JA For This Useful Post:

Mars (3 Days Ago)

Thanks

I don't have the unit to take it apart I just saw one for sale.

If I have to take anything apart it will be my Dual band TID DP750... I think I will soon anyway as they work like crap otherwise, VHF DMR is lacking. Maybe I can push the Anytone firmware into them, look a lot alike. If I try I will start another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SPECIAL_EYE View Post
    Can anyone tell me how you tell the hardware version of an Anytone AT-D868UV can it be done from the keypad, (this is the AT-D868UV not the AT-D878UV)?