Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anytone AT-D878UV - excellent tech radio

Thanks
    Thanked 6,366 Times in 1,817 Posts

NO7RF: EXCELLENT information and a prime example of why complicated programming and allowing people who are clueless to put radios on a network, can ruin things for everyone else.

I formerly ran a Cap Plus Multi-Site ham network with RAS. There was an awful lot of bitching and complaining from the local tards who refused to learn anything or buy the right equipment, but by using RAS, it limited programming to competent persons/template we could use.

Unfortunately, TRBO CPS doesn't allow codeplug cloning unless all activated EIDs match up. Additionally, you can never please hams because they all want custom channels/programming in their radios. You give them the ability to add/play with the codeplug, and it just fubars everything right up. Not to mention they're too clueless to securely store a codeplug containing RAS/AES keys on offline media. They also email it to others. The whole MOTOTRBO security model is flawed in this regard. The P25 stuff is much easier to work with as encryption/authentication keys are loaded to secure memory space within the radio -- no need to circulate/disclose/compromise a system.

Anyway, sorry you guys went through that BS. Yes, we all had to learn at some point, but I would lose my shit if some hammy hamington was jamming up my network/repeater with their CCR. It's beyond frustrating trying to reason with/explain to hams how/why they need to program things right. And who wants the burden of being the one who has to educate them and hold their hands? That was by far the worst part of the Cap+ MS/RAS system. I had to program 30-40 separate codeplugs, as a template wasn't good enough. Many Cap+ fields cannot be drag-and-dropped either. The hams were not capable of following simple instructions, such as changing a color code, or adding a radio ID to their Capacity Plus contact list. It makes my blood boil just thinking about how stupid some people are, along with their unwillingness to use a little common sense and reading comprehension.

/rant.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (Aug 23, 2019),Viper1-6 (Aug 23, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 844 Posts

Rant noted, and I concur. I no longer do any programming or instruction for hammy trbo users. The MotoTrbo radios are 'too expensive and complicated' and they much prefer their CC(C)R and some icky wireless thingy to talk on. The radio techs how come to our club meetings all sit at the same table and have the same concerns. Our nice IPSC local network has been FUBARd by adding Brandmustard to every location. Now you have no idea if your signal made it to all the repeaters or not.

Noted on the roam thing with the 878. It will only be used for testing.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Aug 23, 2019),syntrx (Aug 23, 2019)

Thanks

Probably straying off topic here, but in my experience systems like DMR-MARC and BM are usually a WOFTAM.

The thing I've noticed in the past about systems like BM, IRLP, Echolink etc is that club members will often demand it, but when it's there they won't use it. It turns out that the locals generally want to talk to locals, and they're very concious of not talking shit half way across the state or the world.

They'll actively use it a few times when it's new, but other than that they'll just tie up the repeater and rack up the site's power bill by dialling into some talkgroup across the world just for something to listen to. The whole experience ususally ends up being more detrimental than positive.

Linking local systems to provide saturation coverage of a club's "service area" tends to be a better investment.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to syntrx For This Useful Post:

bellyacher (Aug 23, 2019),com501 (Aug 23, 2019),Mars (Aug 23, 2019),MattSR (Aug 23, 2019),motorola_otaku (Yesterday),Viper1-6 (Aug 23, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,366 Times in 1,817 Posts

And that is exactly what I tried to tell my former group of fellow ham associates. 99.999% of the talking they do is local and regional. Put your efforts into building a solid regional system. We donít need to talk to people all over the place. Get HF.

Brand Meister is the worst possible thing you could connect a DMR repeater to. For starters, once you are connected, you can no longer perform any remote administrative functions to your repeater, nor can you run a radio ID access list or RAS. This includes remotely switching the repeater to analogue mode, if necessary for community events.

BM also blocks text messages, radio checks, private calls and encryption. And you canít use a capacity plus radio ID on that network.

Private IPSC or FO.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (Aug 23, 2019),syntrx (Aug 23, 2019),Viper1-6 (Aug 23, 2019)