Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NX-5600H low band radio is here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 673 Posts

Simple... there's no market demand. Outside of CHP low band is an endagered species.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

P25 Conventional actually works pretty well on low band. We have played with it using the Harris XG-100m.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DisasterGuy For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 07, 2019),motorola_otaku (Oct 24, 2019),syntrx (Oct 25, 2019)

Thanks

Well that thread on RR reminded me about the Unication U3 radio. On looking back through my collected info about it, they make a 30-88 mhz version. In case anyone here doesnt know, the U3 supposedly supports both P25 and DMR with AES256. Apparently they are working on a mobile version of the U3 with more info to come late 2019. No word yet if the mobile will include a lowband version like the portable, but if they did it would give Kenwood some competition.

Getting off topic for this thread, but I am kind of surprised we haven't had more discussion about the U3 on this site, given that RR never dives beyond the quoted specs or subjective testing and into the technical/experimental discussions we have over here.

Thanks

A mobile U3 would intrigue me, just for NAF scanning. Throw out my Uniden junk.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuckerm For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 07, 2019),box (Oct 25, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post
    P25 Conventional actually works pretty well on low band. We have played with it using the Harris XG-100m.
    How are you getting that to work? P25 is greyed out in RPM for my low band channels

Thanks

I guess the lack of demand would also explain the almost $1,300 price tag just for the brick.

Thanks

Oklahoma Highway Patrol is still using low band. several areas now use the OKWIN system as primary but the entire state is still operational on low band. this makes me wonder as to if the state will be buying the new kenwood low band offering or trying to get the state covered with enough 800 sites to abandon the low band stuff all together.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I've never really bothered 'playing' with ADP (it's like owning a Harley but still riding a tricycle)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstafford View Post
    Well that thread on RR reminded me about the Unication U3 radio. On looking back through my collected info about it, they make a 30-88 mhz version. In case anyone here doesnt know, the U3 supposedly supports both P25 and DMR with AES256. Apparently they are working on a mobile version of the U3 with more info to come late 2019. No word yet if the mobile will include a lowband version like the portable, but if they did it would give Kenwood some competition.

Getting off topic for this thread, but I am kind of surprised we haven't had more discussion about the U3 on this site, given that RR never dives beyond the quoted specs or subjective testing and into the technical/experimental discussions we have over here.
    I think Codan sells the U3 as their "Sentry V" but I was quoted $10k...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    Simple... there's no market demand. Outside of CHP low band is an endagered species.
    In spite of Motorola doing their best to sell people radio systems they don't need and move to new bands that don't work I can say with firsthand experience that lowband is alive and well. Way off base on the NX5600s IMHO, while CHP was the guiding customer (and the one that said put P25 in there), Kenwood is also aware they're the only game in town down there and it's a smart business move to fill in the void. Lots of PS/Gov and utilities still rockin low band

Re: pricing, can anyone get me a P25 capable mobile from the mothership for $1300?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to escomm For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Yesterday),axel (Yesterday),SwissMoto (Yesterday)