Thread: Avoid Hytera

Thanks
    Thanked 6,742 Times in 1,931 Posts

Default Avoid Hytera

I recently learned some news which really pisses me off. And I believe it's fair game to post it here, so others can avoid the same headache.

In November of 2018, I was in talks with a service provider to perform work on their behalf. One of the things I was tasked with, was communicating certain security/functionality concerns about certain subscriber products, to Hytera, directly. I had personal email addresses of engineers. We're not talking customer service here.

Those concerns related to location and user data which was being transmitted over the air, in the clear, during a secure call. This was unacceptable for the client, due to real operational security concerns and unauthorized monitoring/sharing of communications, which was confirmed as an issue, in this particular region of the country. (Read: RetardReference people posting sensitive data and putting the lives of people at risk). The client is/was a federal LEO group, responsible for national security.

Hytera claimed they would look into the matter. Months went by. Nothing. Excuses. "Busy". "We just had a baby, I've been away", etc. NO attempt at delegating responsibilities to others in the interim.

I've learned of a hardware issue which is of great importance, and has also gone ignored. The same time (approximately eight months) has passed. Frustration is at an all new level.

I no longer represent this client nor do I have anything to do with it. I spotted this nonsense four months in and walked. I assumed things had been resolved. I cannot believe nothing has changed since last year. Seriously.

It is my recommendation to avoid Hytera if you have a large customer and may need to work with Hytera on customer issues/needs. Hytera is not responsive and does not value the privilege of customers. Kicking yourself in the peen (stolen phrase from Triptolemus) or dealing with Motorola is about the same level of fun.

Kenwood, Tait and potentially Harris are other vendors I would recommend dealing with. There may be other DMR-specific vendors which offer better support. But Hytera and Motorola must be avoided, if resolving product/security issues is important to you, in addition to answering to your own customer.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

BIG-BOY (Jul 19, 2019),com501 (Jul 19, 2019),PSEhub (Jul 20, 2019),tbrownell (Jul 21, 2019)

Thanks

There are 3 types of radios out there.

Those with the antenna giving a left thumbs up

Those with the antenna giving a right thumbs up

And those with the antenna flipping you off

Hytera is one of the few manufactures to ever offer the FU antenna design.

They also really sound like shit.

XPR6550 on 1.12.17 sounds better than a FU-982

Even Vertex EVX-53x, Kenwood TK-D340 sounds better than HYT DMR

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PSEhub For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Jul 20, 2019),Mars (Jul 20, 2019)

Thanks

Vertex EVX had a great future, until Moto had to kill them off.

Kenwood has a great future for DMR. Their DMR repeater is basic but they will probably upgrade it pretty soon. The only downside is their Moto approach to programming software distribution on their top tier models (NX-5000 and NX-3000) to the Canadian market. Some dealers may sell you the software if you pull the right strings but it's way harder than in the US.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaxK98 For This Useful Post:

com501 (Jul 20, 2019),PSEhub (Jul 20, 2019),Viper1-6 (Jul 20, 2019)

Thanks

EVX were really a great option for entry DMR

The price point of TK-D340U and NX-3320 partial keypad is really just perfect, very reasonably priced. The custom tones add $200.00+ in value

The SL300 and 3500e are still the front runners for sub-compact however.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 470 Posts

Default Avoid Hytera

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhub View Post
    And those with the antenna flipping you off

Hytera is one of the few manufactures to ever offer the FU antenna design.
    That’s pretty damn funny.

And as Mars can attest to, Hytera doesn’t care about fixing problems. He worked extensively with their engineers on audio and other issues and they did nothing about the problems. I gave up and sold my expensive PD-982 and went back to XPRs.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Jul 20, 2019),com501 (Jul 20, 2019),Mars (Jul 20, 2019),PSEhub (Jul 20, 2019),tbrownell (Jul 21, 2019),Viper1-6 (Jul 20, 2019)

Thanks

My only interaction with Hytera equipment is maintaining some TC-320 units that are dirt cheap analog for schools. My only DMR experience is with a Teir II Motorola repeater with CP200D subscribers. 99% or my work is P25. With that said, I'm wondering why a federal law enforcement agency is using DMR. I'm also wondering why this is a Hytera specific issue. Call setup data in DMR (at least Type III) is in the clear by standards and I thought the same was true of position data being in the standard.

On the P25 level, this is the reason that you have Link Layer Encryption to encrypt the control channel parameters related to encrypted group calls.

On a side note, I once had a conversation with a senior Harris employee when they were rebranding Hytera gear as their Momentum line and asked why I should by from them with substantial markup compared to direct from a Hytera dealer. Their response was that you dont want to deal with Hytera engineering or product support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post
    With that said, I'm wondering why a federal law enforcement agency is using DMR.
    P25 is a scam. Aside from Moto voluntarily dumbing down their TRBO line, DMR is as good as P25. A Kenwood NX-5000 in NXDN or DMR will perform just as good as any P25 radio. US departments are getting grants (or bribes?) to choose Motorola's outdated protocol.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaxK98 For This Useful Post:

PSEhub (Sep 13, 2019),syntrx (Sep 12, 2019)

Thanks

It isnt about performance, it is about interoperability. IMHO, TETRA tops both of them however everyone needs to be using the same compatible technology. If vendors were marketing public safety DMR radios and DMR infrastructure to public safety standards you would find price points to be comparable.