Thread: Auto Test/Align box for NX series?

Thanks

Default Auto Test/Align box for NX series?

Does anyone know the part number of this test box, an if it s needed???

http://freedomcte.com/autotunekw/
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 607 Posts

I can't speak to the NX line but all of the previous generations of Kenwood radios needed external audio tones injected for deviation alignment. I used a TIMS box as an audio generator for manual alignment.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Mars (Aug 06, 2019),moetorola (Aug 06, 2019)

Thanks

When I bring up the Autotune screen on my 8000, it says to use a "202951-01 Audio Breakout Box" In conjunction with KPG-36A for an NX portable and KPG-46A for mobile.

https://www.neobits.com/other_202951..._p8602960.html

1400 bucks. Ouch.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TESTMODE For This Useful Post:

Mars (Aug 06, 2019),moetorola (Aug 06, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TESTMODE View Post
    When I bring up the Autotune screen on my 8000, it says to use a "202951-01 Audio Breakout Box" In conjunction with KPG-36A for an NX portable and KPG-46A for mobile.

https://www.neobits.com/other_202951..._p8602960.html

1400 bucks. Ouch.
    OUCH!!,, well that wont happen, especially when for DEMO purposes!
    I am hoping the box is similar to the Motorola RLN4460 and only mostly really used for audio tests. And the digital can be aligned without this box. They just want to see it in action!
    Thanks
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

If I select USB instead of Serial (Which disables audio tests) The test for TX VOX, RX Sensitivity, RX Squelch and RX RSSI deselect themselves. It will still tune Assist Voltage, Reference Frequency, TX Power, TX Modulation, TX Balance, TX Max Deviation and TX Signaling.

At the end of the manual, it states:

A custom test set jig may be constructed for performing AutoTune tests and alignments in place of the 202951-01 Test Set supplied by Freedom Communication Technologies. For required programming cable and audio connections, please see the radio service manual for the model under test. For Kenwood NX Portable radios, a custom test jig interface requires the Kenwood KPG-36 or KPG-36A interface cable modified to tap into the audio wires.For Kenwood NX Mobile radios, a custom test jig interface requires the Kenwood adapter cable E30-3383-05, which brings out the audio wires used for injecting audio into the transceiver.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TESTMODE For This Useful Post:

com501 (Aug 07, 2019),moetorola (Aug 07, 2019)

Thanks

Awesome thanks for the information. I don't take the work you put in to answering that question in detail for granted!!

So can a regular Kenwood programming cable be used for basic digital test with out the test box. or is a special cable still needed?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to moetorola For This Useful Post:

TESTMODE (Aug 07, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    Awesome thanks for the information. I don't take the work you put in to answering that question in detail for granted!!

So can a regular Kenwood programming cable be used for basic digital test with out the test box. or is a special cable still needed?
    If it is the USB programming cable, yes it will work. Connect it directly to one of the USB ports on the 8000. It looks like the breakout box is more than just a breakout box for audio, it appears that you connect a serial programming cable between the breakout box and radio and USB cable between the 8000 and the breakout box.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TESTMODE For This Useful Post:

moetorola (Aug 07, 2019),motorola_otaku (Aug 08, 2019)