Thread: SmartRIB cable pinouts

Thanks

Default SmartRIB cable pinouts

I recently was given a hell of an early Christmas gift... a brand new SRIB someone stuffed in a box along with an iButton with remaining flashes... all was sitting on a shelf at an agency ready to be tossed as "scrap".

Problem is... the actual radio end cables were nowhere to be found. I want to update a handful of Astro Saber, Spectra, and XTS3000s we have in our CERT group that was given this stuff. Problem is... I REALLY don't want to spend a ton for these OEM cables... and my RKN4035 grew legs a year ago.

Does anyone have a pinout for the RKN4035, RKN4046, RKN4047 cables so I can try and reverse engineer them out of some RIBless cables or something similar? I want to do this as low-cost and as easily as possible since the iButton is finite and once its done the cables are as well.

Thanks

At least two are on batlabs.com

http://www.batlabs.com/images/rkn4047a.gif
    http://www.batlabs.com/images/astflsh.gif

The XTS3000 seems to be the easier cable to come by.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to code352 For This Useful Post:

Navy_BOFH (Aug 05, 2019)

Thanks

I searched high and low and didn't think to even look at Batlabs!

The XTS/MTS one is "easier" to find but still a bit hefty in price! I might have someone willing to loan me one but the other two have definitely been elusive.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 687 Posts

The Astro Spectra flash cable is probably going to be the hardest to find, if you do they usually command >$200.00 price, due to the rarity. You might be able to make one from 2 of the Hirose-to-Spectra mic connector KVL type adapters out there, cut off the Hirose ends and use pins from 2 of them to make 1 cable with all the wires necessary. Even finding the Hirose adapters may not be easy!

Thanks

For the RKN4035.

mts2k.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TESTMODE For This Useful Post:

code352 (Aug 06, 2019),Navy_BOFH (Aug 07, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The Astro Spectra flash cable is probably going to be the hardest to find, if you do they usually command >$200.00 price, due to the rarity. You might be able to make one from 2 of the Hirose-to-Spectra mic connector KVL type adapters out there, cut off the Hirose ends and use pins from 2 of them to make 1 cable with all the wires necessary. Even finding the Hirose adapters may not be easy!
    If you get the KVL adapter out of a Consolette... they have all pins populated in the shell. I had one somewhere... and lost it. But with how cheap consolettes of certain types are for sale online it is worth buying one just to shuck for parts.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 687 Posts

That's the kind my friend used to make one, but I think the one he found didn't have all the pins in the Spectra Mic connector end, there's 10 pins in that IIRC and only 6 pins in the Hirose, so there are 3-4 pins unused, and I think the flash cable uses 8 or 9 of the pins. Someone on Batlabs (I think) posted a hand-drawing of the cable schematic, it's out there... Just beware I'm pretty sure you may need 2 adapters (or some extra pins if you have them) to pull it off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Navy_BOFH View Post
    If you get the KVL adapter out of a Consolette... they have all pins populated in the shell. I had one somewhere... and lost it. But with how cheap consolettes of certain types are for sale online it is worth buying one just to shuck for parts.
    That is where I got my KVL cable from was a consolette was cheaper than the going rate on flea market for the cable. And I ended up with a another control head and UHF AS and a bench power supply.

Thanks

I made my Astro Saber flash cable with a RS232 cable I bought off ebay. It has all the proper orientation pins needed to make the flash/prog cable. The guy has a bunch of them for sale the only problem with them was they have the dry rot problem. I ended up just using the connector with a NOS jedi PS mic replacement cable.

Here is the ebay link. https://www.ebay.com/p/Motorola-NKN6...Port/852697560

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jettajoey For This Useful Post:

p47r4ck (Sep 11, 2019)