Thread: PCTEL/MOTO triband antenna

Thanks

Default PCTEL/MOTO triband antenna

So I saw a new version at APCO of this PCTEL/MOTO oem antenna that they have been selling for a while...which I refuse to put on my vehicle because I know first hand that it will destroy the sheet metal if it gets hit at all....The new version has a HUUUUUUGE spring on the top of it because according to PCTEL, Moto asked for it to be redesigned due to body damage problems. I still don't like the new antenna. The spring starts about 5" up that huge cylindrical base and tapers to the whip. UGLY. Not to mention just looking at it you know it's going to not stop moving and experience has shown antennas that constantly move are poor performers in the multipath environment.

Never seen anything like it in my life. Definitely still wouldnt put one on my vehicles!

Also just for reference, I should have taken a pic of this but didn't the spring was about 2.25" diameter at the bottom and tapered over about 6-7" to whip adaptor size around .75"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 928 Posts

They did this to accomodate the single antenna output design of the new APX radios. A shit move, if I may say so.
    "God as my witness" - Jeremy Dewitte - Felon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

EM36 (Aug 19, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 688 Posts

I've fielded a handful of the Larsen NMO150/450/758 antennas, and so far they've been solid performers. They're not as broad-banded on VHF as the "donkey d!ck" antennas are, but for 99% of public safety users who never leave the 150-160 band they're fine. Tessco is consistently out of stock on them, so I can only assume they've been flying off the shelves.

https://www.pulselarsenantennas.com/...l-band-radios/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Navy_BOFH (Aug 20, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    I've fielded a handful of the Larsen NMO150/450/758 antennas, and so far they've been solid performers. They're not as broad-banded on VHF as the "donkey d!ck" antennas are, but for 99% of public safety users who never leave the 150-160 band they're fine. Tessco is consistently out of stock on them, so I can only assume they've been flying off the shelves.

https://www.pulselarsenantennas.com/...l-band-radios/
    Nearly every agency that fields APX8.5K's out here is using them so that must mean something. I've considered picking one up and running a triplexer, then I'd get two free NMO spots for APRS and my VRS. Roof clearance would be my only issue; right now I've got a flexiwhip and it twangs on nearly every garage I go into. But damn it'd be a clean install.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to axel For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Aug 20, 2019)

Thanks

The Laird WPD136M6C-001 (also known as the Harris 12099-0330-01) has been a hell of a performer as well. The PCTEL/Browning design has been a hell of a disappointment.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

EM36 (Aug 20, 2019),Viper1-6 (Aug 20, 2019)