Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a 7K

Thanks

Default Purchasing a 7K

Hello all,

I seem to be having trouble even getting a quote for a legit apx7000 through a motorola dealer that is fairly well respected. Any suggestions on my next approach are appreciated. Specifically, I am told that I need to provide a compelling reason/use for the radio because it is only sold to public safety.

Feel free to PM me if you have a specific name that you don't want to give out. The other problem is that the APX line is area restricted.

Thanks.

Thanks

If you are looking to buy one for yourself, your local dealer is probably not going to be much help. They have to get permission from mother motorola to sell high tier radios. Motorola usually sells them directly to the customers on big $$$ systems. If you are serious about getting one. keep your eyes peeled and buy one from one of the members here or on batlabs. I would only buy one from a well respected seller with excellent feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I've never really bothered 'playing' with ADP (it's like owning a Harley but still riding a tricycle)

Thanks

Thanks for the reponse. I would need to clear the serials (assuming they have them) via several checks before I buy. Are most sellers used to this? Also, how do they get their radios? If I'm paying $$$$ then I don't want one that doesn't have warranty. I know I'm inquisitive however at this price I feel it is reasonable. Thanks for any input.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

Keep in mind you're probably going to pay about $2000-$2500 for one on the open market, but that would be without any warranty support, most likely. Getting a brand new one probably will run you $4000-$6000 depending on options so you'll have to decide if the extra $2-4K is worth it or not. (Hint: for what you save over new, you can probably buy TWO of 'em).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Keep in mind you're probably going to pay about $2000-$2500 for one on the open market, but that would be without any warranty support, most likely. Getting a brand new one probably will run you $4000-$6000 depending on options so you'll have to decide if the extra $2-4K is worth it or not. (Hint: for what you save over new, you can probably buy TWO of 'em).
    It's a little tongue-in-cheek, but I've always said that for Motorola's top tier radios, the model number of the thing usually doubles as the MSRP!

Thanks

My Main issue is even getting a quote so I can potentially buy one from a dealer. What "compelling reason" should I give the next dealer I try? (This other one deals with 3 different states and is a major Motorola MR (Manufacturers Representative) for State and Federal). I'm wondering if I'll have better or worse luck with a bigger establishment. Motorola probably knows them better but they are bigger which could mean harder to deal with. Also, I'm pretty sure the eBay ones don't even have option boards usually. Now these boards ship standard on the APX7000. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks

I also forgot to mention a fairly major detail which is that I'm looking for an XE not Standard.

Thanks

There have been V/U-1 XE M3.5s from a trusted seller on eBay in the not too distant past. And they are complete. What bands are you looking for? Honestly, I've never heard of having to justify why you want to buy a radio - unless you're trying to buy fed FPP, type 1 crypto, something like that...

Thanks

I wasn't asking for any of the above or any other restricted options. Just a Non-trunking standard conventional flash package. And yet they just couldn't make it easy. Warranty is the main problem I have with tag-less radios even if their less than half the price. I know exactly which listings your referring to, I saw them as well a while back. But how do I know the waterproofing isn't compromised? I don't. It just seems strange that they even care or bother to question the use of the radio. It restricts sales. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

I would put a crisp Benjamin on the waterproofing not being compromised, but if you're seriously concerned about it, the vacuum kit and adapter is less than $500. If you are really planning on testing the waterproof performance, you're supposed to conduct a vacuum test yearly anyway.

As far as restricting sales, yes, that's the point. They've restricted sales all the way back to the STX days and maybe before then. It's a shame that the Harris and Thales have so many problems still... they are far more friendly to selling their product to someone who has money and wants to buy.

Thanks

Do I have any chance at getting one through a dealer? The other problem is that I want the XE in Black.

Thanks

Go to a dealer that handles public safety systems and is already ordering APXs. If you go to a "normal" MSS that's handling commercial/industrial gear and isn't used to APX (and APB radios in general) they'll be confused at best.

Thanks

I tried to get a quote and was prompted for a "compelling reason". This dealer I know does deal with public safety but maybe not the APX yet. Should I try a more major dealer/Motorola MR?

Thanks

Sadly the M dealer isn't interested in selling a single unit to you, even if it's $7000. They're interested in selling 100 to a government entity. Remember, the radio you want is a high tier radio that only governments are buying. The dealer would certainly be willing to sell a low tier radio to you, something that a small company might need to buy on a single basis. There are many trustworthy people on Batlabs selling these radios with tags in the $2500 price range. But even with tags, the warranty might have expired. GARY

Thanks

What's interesting is they portrayed it as Motorola, not themselves, only selling to public safety. It seemed like the dealer was willing. Should I give a different usage scenario and try again? Do you think it was just a lazy worker at M not processing the request?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhub View Post
    What's interesting is they portrayed it as Motorola, not themselves, only selling to public safety. It seemed like the dealer was willing.
    This I believe, as the dealer would certainly like to make the profit he could on the sale of a single unit, but they know that "M" won't bother to process the order, as it's not worth it for them to do so. GARY

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

It is true that high tier radios are direct factory sales only and have been for years. As others have pointed out they are geared toward selling whole fleets of radios to large local, state or federal government agencies. An individual trying to purchase one will (as you have found) face a whole gauntlet of "conditions" or requiring showing a "need to know" to get one.

You need to deal with the Head of Sales Prevention. (J/K) Seriously, though maybe you can get some affiliation with your local ESDA or Red Cross agencies that might lend some credibility to your "needs", perhaps? I would not normally recommend this due to the high potential for whackerism, but it may help in this case...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSEhub View Post
    What's interesting is they portrayed it as Motorola, not themselves, only selling to public safety. It seemed like the dealer was willing. Should I give a different usage scenario and try again? Do you think it was just a lazy worker at M not processing the request?
    That is NOT a moto policy AFAIK, we have sold high tier radios to individuals before. I vote lazy sales rep. As for a compelling reason "I do work with two customers who currently use p25 conventional and ADP on different bands and I need to carry one radio." If they won't do it contact your moto direct sales rep.

Thanks

How do I contact a direct sales rep even if they hang up on me?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

This entire thread defines why the P25.ca Forums exists. Motorola can't support the customer, nor do they care.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Motorola Canada has been known to deny requests from dealers trying to purchase high tier radios for individuals. This was back before P25 scanners were available. The reason given was "we don't want you listening to our customers".

At the time it didn't make any sense as P25 radios were available on Ebay.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

syntrx No Longer Registered

Compelling reason: "I have cash and I'm ready to order today. If you're rich and don't need the money, I'm happy to spend my money with $COMPETITOR."

I know they don't have anything dual band, but Tait make nice kit and they're happy to take your money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    Compelling reason: "I have cash and I'm ready to order today. If you're rich and don't need the money, I'm happy to spend my money with $COMPETITOR.".
    Motorola would just laugh at you if you said that. Unless you're ordering a couple of hundred radios, they don't care.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

syntrx No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Motorola would just laugh at you if you said that. Unless you're ordering a couple of hundred radios, they don't care.
    Motorola won't care that you want to buy a P25 radio, all the past anecdotes I'm aware of where this has happened were due to dealers being obnoxious, rather than M, but yet blaming M for their laziness.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post

Motorola won't care that you want to buy a P25 radio, all the past anecdotes I'm aware of where this has happened were due to dealers being obnoxious, rather than M, but yet blaming M for their laziness.
    They certainly did in the case that I know of.

Several dealers tried to place the order with Motorola but they rejected it every time. The guy in charge at Motorola finally contacted the buyer and said no way would they sell a P25 radio to a member of the general public.

Mind you, this was 20 years ago when P25 scanners weren't available.
    Cyrus