Thread: IMPRES reconditioning a Li-ion?

Thanks

Default IMPRES reconditioning a Li-ion?

Placed an IMPRES Li-ion battery that had been in storage for a few months on charge; in response the (display-less) charger showed "reconditioning" orange. It took about 30 minutes to get out of the "reconditioning" cycle and move on to charging.
    I didn't think Li-ion batteries could be reconditioned? So I read the IMPRES white paper on the subject and came away none the wiser. They tried to address "the myth" that Li-ion doesn't need reconditioning and that IMPRES chargers are designed to maximise the life of Li-ion batteries... but offered no detail.
    So what exactly do the IMPRES chargers do to "recondition" a Li-ion battery?

Thanks

Ahjh yes, the good old IMPRES Li-ion "recondition" cycle.

It simply discharges and recharges the battery, and in doing so, updates the voltage-capacity charge curve.

It's actually a re-calibration for the voltage vs capacity table, and not a recondition as such. You don't gain any extra battery capacity with an IMPRES "recondition", it simply resets the IMPRES system so it can more accurately know how much charge is in the cells as they age.

Cheers,
    Matt

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattSR For This Useful Post:

mitaux8030 (Sep 06, 2019),motorola_otaku (Sep 06, 2019),p47r4ck (Sep 06, 2019)

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 679 Posts

You can terminate the condition cycle early by pulling and re-inserting the radio within a second or two. That will change it from condition to rapid charge if you don't have the time, but it won't reset the battery "fuel gauge" display and recalibrate like Matt said. Just a quick FYI.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

mitaux8030 (Sep 06, 2019)

Thanks

30 minutes is pretty quick, my guess is it was nearly dead when reconditioned...my reconditioning is ~ 5 to 8 hours depending on how much charge is still in the batteries.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    It simply discharges and recharges the battery, and in doing so, updates the voltage-capacity charge curve.

It's actually a re-calibration for the voltage vs capacity table, and not a recondition as such. You don't gain any extra battery capacity with an IMPRES "recondition", it simply resets the IMPRES system so it can more accurately know how much charge is in the cells as they age.
    I've had to correct peoples' terminology around me... the battery doesn't need "conditioning," it needs "recalibration."
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

MattSR (Sep 06, 2019),mitaux8030 (Sep 06, 2019),TRENT310 (Sep 07, 2019)