Thread: IP223 Link Between ATAC3k and Quantar

Thanks

Default IP223 Link Between ATAC3k and Quantar

Currently I have 2 Quantars with Astro Modem cards connected to an AstroTac 3000 via 4 wire. Everything works as it should with getting both modes of audio between everything. Im trying to experiment with using 2 IP223s between one of the Quantars and the ATAC3k. My question is what needs to be configured in the IP223s to allow 4 wire communication? Iíve got each IP223 currently configured in Tone Mode and the display shows RX F1 and the TX and Link lights are lit. I have them connected with a little 4 port unmanaged switch also.

Thanks

You need to configure internal jumpers to allow 4 wire. Also on the db25 you need to be on the correct pairs for RX +/- and TX +/-. And I believe you need to set a jumper on one unit for RX termination. Have you looked at a manual?

Thanks

I downloaded the manual for them. I configured the jumpers for 4-Wire and placed the termination jumpers in position A to terminate RX at either end since they will be the only units for now.

Thanks

You also need to point your browser at each unit and configure them each. It's really three parts. Cables, jumpers, software until you get to the 224, then it's cables an software. Depending on the age of the 223's you may also need a firmware update...

Thanks

Iíve been trying to work with the web interface to configure them. The firmware is at 4.500? What exactly needs to be done on the web interface for 4 wire? I think thatís where Iím having the issue.

Thanks

Been a long time since I did a 223 --

But at a minimum you need to properly configure the Line --

and the Cross Patch - Think you want mode - XPTCH - This will tie the two IP-223s together --

Thanks

What mode are you doing with your quantars?

Thanks

Iíve got them running mixed over 4 wire using Astro Modem cards attached to the wire line cards. In the settings to set up the cross patch , do you have to just put the IP of the other 223 or does anything else have to go in the other fields?

Thanks

I would try to set the one at the astrotac 3000 to console mode and the one at the quantar to local or tone mode.

Thanks

I have plenty of experience with IP223's, and I'm not sure they can be used as ethernet 4W E&M substitutes especially to carry modem tones. I don't think they will be faithful enough to reproduce the tones properly. No harm in trying. You can experiment by putting them back to back at the base station to see if they work correctly before putting them into service as a replacement for your current link.

Version 4.5 is the latest and last update for the IP223.

You may not need a crosspatch table. Read the manual section on the topic.

It sounds like you muddled your way into getting the pair linked up without much trouble. I think Telex tone mode might be the best option for the basic operation, but you can determine that through experimentation. There is a console mode in the Telex as well. It receives console control tones, interprets them, ships the function to the far end which regenerates the tone. It's not sampling and encoding tones. It decodes them and ships the function. The voice gets encoded separately.

But, you aren't trying to encode standard control tones. You want to ship a modem envelope. You won't know how well it will work until you try. Just don'r be too disappointed if it fails to be reliable.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

moetorola (Sep 09, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 634 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    I have plenty of experience with IP223's, and I'm not sure they can be used as ethernet 4W E&M substitutes especially to carry modem tones. I don't think they will be faithful enough to reproduce the tones properly. No harm in trying.
    What Bill said. Your Astro modems are there to carry both analog audio and V.24 serial data... the AstroTAC does not use in-band signalling for analog voting and instead sends RSSI over the V.24 connection.

You can for sure do IP transport by eliminating the Astro modems and feeding both 4 wire and V.24 over Cisco routers with the proper cards installed.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Sep 09, 2019)