Thread: SABER battery schematic

Thanks

Default SABER battery schematic

Dear all,

I had no luck in another thread with the XTS5000 battery schematic.
    I am looking as well for a /\/\ SABER series battery schematic - wiring diagram.
    Thanks in advance !

Thanks

Those aren't published either, but there's nothing particularly special about them. Crack one open and have a look.

The only IMPRES model was discontinued about eight years ago.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to syntrx For This Useful Post:

com501 (Sep 11, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kondoros View Post
    Dear all,

I had no luck in another thread with the XTS5000 battery schematic.
    I am looking as well for a /\/\ SABER series battery schematic - wiring diagram.
    Thanks in advance !
    There is not much inside and a service manual should yield a schematic. Otherwise you can sort it out with a VOM externally. Cracking them open is not for faint hearted. They are very robust and glued together inside. You can saw them open yank out the cells. You will probably have to wire up the terminals as the Kapton wiring board will likely not survive disassembly.

1) The positive charge terminal is reverse protected by a series shottky diode so that the battery does not spark spare keys and bullets in a pocket!
    2) There is a resistor between two pins on the charge connectors to indicate charge rate to the charger.
    3) There is a protective thermal fuse between the 6 battery cells to prevent explosion if over charged or discharged.
    4) Ground on the charge terminal carries directly to the radio terminal along with Negative Battery. Likewise the battery positive directly connects to the radio.

I have repacked these with two protected lithium ion cells for nominal 8.4V. It requires a special charger however.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

iltisman (Sep 16, 2019),kondoros (Sep 16, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    There is not much inside and a service manual should yield a schematic. Otherwise you can sort it out with a VOM externally. Cracking them open is not for faint hearted. They are very robust and glued together inside. You can saw them open yank out the cells. You will probably have to wire up the terminals as the Kapton wiring board will likely not survive disassembly.

1) The positive charge terminal is reverse protected by a series shottky diode so that the battery does not spark spare keys and bullets in a pocket!
    2) There is a resistor between two pins on the charge connectors to indicate charge rate to the charger.
    3) There is a protective thermal fuse between the 6 battery cells to prevent explosion if over charged or discharged.
    4) Ground on the charge terminal carries directly to the radio terminal along with Negative Battery. Likewise the battery positive directly connects to the radio.

EDIT
    5) There is also a thermistor

I have repacked these with two protected lithium ion cells for nominal 8.4V. It requires a special charger however.

Looking at the rear of the battery with the "notch" in the upper left:

From left to right the charger pins are

• Ground
    • Programming resistor referenced to ground (~2.42 to 33.85 K depending on capacity)
    • Thermistor (~10 K) referenced to ground
    • CHARGE : Shottkey diode Anode with its Cathode pointing to Positive terminal of battery cell

Here is a look at my work. I plan to make some smaller batteries with Lithium Poly batteries. There is a pdf link next to the picture. I had considered modifying a rapid charger to charge Lithium Ion, so there are several pages of noodling how to do this. I abandoned the idea when I realized that modifying a pocket charger into a lithium ion charger (contact me for details) was more rewarding and portable. Instead of a protection diode, I opted for a reed switch and magnet arrangement so that the charge terminal is disconnected when the battery is out of the charger. Modifying a rapid charger is not recommended. It may work, I have not tried. It might blow up, don't blame me.

SABER Li Ion Retrofit 2016.pdfP1080501.jpg

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Sep 18, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Sep 28, 2019),boomboy64 (Sep 18, 2019),bup (Sep 19, 2019),com501 (Sep 17, 2019),fogster (Sep 29, 2019),kondoros (Sep 18, 2019),splinter34 (Sep 21, 2019)

Thanks

SABER BATTERY.jpg

This is from a service manual. The terminals S- and S+ are seldom used in batteries. Ny mention of a "notch" in previous pertains to the squared off portion where the radios latch engages, not the ergonomic contour of the battery housing.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Sep 28, 2019),bup (Sep 28, 2019),fogster (Sep 29, 2019),kondoros (Sep 28, 2019),motorola_otaku (Oct 01, 2019)