Thread: General Questions - Zetron Max Dispatch System

Thanks

Default General Questions - Zetron Max Dispatch System

A neighboring county in the past year has installed a new Zetron Max Dispatch System. It's apparent that dispatcher audio levels range anyware from nearly a wisper to very loud and somewhat distorted. Is anyone familure with these systems that can tell me if there is any AGC that the radio technician could have setup to level out the differences in dispatcher headset placement and voice levels?

Secondly, there is a weird swish sound at key-up by the dispatcher that seems to be Zetron's version of a talk permit tone. It's quite noticable and is always on the front porch of each initial key-up. Does Zetron not mute the dispatch headset audio until after the talk permit prompt?

There are very annoying properties and I don't know if it's characteristic of these dispatch systems or does it represent a lack of understanding on the technician that installed and setup the system. Anyone else live in an area that has a Zetron Max in their 911 Dispatch Center?

Thanks

There are a ton of audio settings on that system

Alot would have to do with how its setup,

There is incoming AGC and then there are audio levels for the outgoing audio as well. I don't remember specifically there being outgoing AGC but there are some settings for Outgoing audio

The other noise I guess i would have to hear we use the store and forward so disptachers can immediately start talking once ptt is pressed while the system is waiting on the go ahead tones etc to go out over the air.

if your working on the system just call zetron there easy to work with give them the system number Z# and they may even be able to remote into it

Thanks

I am not working on the system else I would have been on the phone to Zetron for answers. I assumed there must be incoming AGC because some of the system users don't comprehend proper microphone technique so levels vary from a barely a whisper to eating the mic, yet the dispatcher seems to get most of the traffic with requesting a repeat.

On the other hand, the dispatcher audio out varies all over the place. You can tell there is a definite proximity effect with the headset microphones. I don't know what the headsets are but AGC is definitely called for. The other weird noise is some sort of -Talk Permit- tone (sound) that precedes the dispatchers voice. Kind of a swishing sound
    that I only hear on dispatch systems using Zetron Max. Old console didn't make this same noise and I don't hear in on Motorola consoles.

I am just curious and feel the installer could have done a much better job with setting up system audio levels!

MotoBill

Thanks

I have seen the same thing. The MAX seems to be a terrible product. I have replaced 3 of them with an Avtec Scout system. The customers are much happier with the Avtec. I hope Motorola doesn't ruin Avtec with the acquisition. I am looking at alternatives to Avtec just in case Motorola destroys Avtec. Zetron will not be considered in my book.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megahertz For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Oct 29, 2019),MotoBill (Sep 30, 2019)

Thanks

Wow, that is a fairly bold statement. Any actual facts or information behind that? I have worked on, installed scout since it has come out, maybe 12 years or so? We recently (3 years ago) picked up the max line and I can tell you with fact that it is a far superior product. From functionality, network resilience, audio, and general functionality. It is a real console system, and not so much of a 14 year old girl gui based smartphone esque console system. With all consoles, a lot has to do with proper initial setup, otherwise it won't work well and customers won't be happy and complain.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FMROB For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Oct 29, 2019)

Thanks

Oh, and Motorola will in fact ruin that company within a short 5 years, Mark your books. Just look what they have done to their radios over the past so many years. Apx is the only thing halfway worth while, and that's not saying much.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FMROB For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Oct 29, 2019)

Thanks

Getting dispatch audio to level out on IP systems has gotten a bit more difficult since each OEM does all the processing in software. But, in my experience, it is best to turn off AGC through the entire audio chain from the headset to the base station, and then use only one central AGC. Some experimentation is required, but generally the user application in the local PC or local audio adapter "box" is the one place to apply AGC. Double and triple AGC just makes a mess.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

Ice-T (Oct 29, 2019),motorola_otaku (Oct 29, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    But, in my experience, it is best to turn off AGC through the entire audio chain from the headset to the base station, and then use only one central AGC.
    Quoting this for emphasis, and it's applicable to any console platform that outputs line-level analog audio to the radio.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Oct 29, 2019)

Thanks

It's been a while (2012) since I used one, but used to put in K2RF DSL300 audio limiters on many repeaters, especially those with a direct console connection. It really helped flatten out audio levels. It hammered Bobby Bellows down, and raised Michael Mumbles up.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Thanks

This county dispatch center here uses Kenwood radios (I don't know the model number) as control stations interfaced to the Max dispatch consoles via IP gateway devices. I don't maintain any of this equipment and don't know any of the specifics of either the consoles or the gateways. It just seems to me that $350,000 dispatch system would
    have AGC or limiting of some kind in both transmit and receiver directions? It's my understanding that MSI's bid came in about $150,000 higher, so you know what the county commissioners decided to buy! The P25 system itself is all Motorola and is owned and operated by the State of Michigan.

Thanks

Kenwood P25 radios have their own audio quirks. NX-series stuff has audio profiles and equalization settings similar to the APXes that need to be optimized from default. In my experience the default settings sound WAY too loud on transmit.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

MotoBill (Oct 30, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    Kenwood P25 radios have their own audio quirks. NX-series stuff has audio profiles and equalization settings similar to the APXes that need to be optimized from default. In my experience the default settings sound WAY too loud on transmit.
    I almost now exclusively use the NX radios as control stations on the Max, except if it has to go on the Crappy County Trunk system (then APX). I too have noticed the loud audio on the NX, however while it is loud I have never noticed any distorted audio nor paging tones. I have fiddled with the audio settings, but like some kenwoods the accessory audio in doesn't respond like other radios do. Next step for me if it were to be an issue and couldn't be resolved via adjustment would be adding a resistor or two in line to trim off some audio.

I do love the functionality of the radio and the max console.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FMROB View Post
    I too have noticed the loud audio on the NX, however while it is loud I have never noticed any distorted audio nor paging tones.
    P25 seems to be more affected than analog or DMR, in my experience. Those sound OK out of the box. I would make sure AGC is completely disabled in the radio and the audio settings are set for zero-gain out if you're using them for QCII paging.