Thread: XTL5000 programming issues

vpd7503 No Longer Registered

Default XTL5000 programming issues

Hey guys, New to the forum. I have searched around and couldn't find any similar symptoms in any posts. And I am new to XTL's. My agency inherited several XTL5000 high pwr with W3 HHCH's. I am in despite need of some guidance. I been around CPS and the old RSS for years and never experienced anything remotely crazy as this is. Every time I attempt to write a cpg to a radio with over about 10 channels in it the progress bar stops and locks up at about 4 bars across, thus corrupting the memory. I've tried numerous radios and all are new in the box. The firmware is a little older they've been sitting in a govt warehouse since 2005. I've tried two different versions of CPS and I am using a straight through serial cable from the pc to the 25 pin access port. Also I'm using Win XP serv pk 3. I thought it might be the usb to serial adapter so I've tried a pc with a serial port and got the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been fighting with this now for several days and just about at wits end. Anyone who can help I will be happy to get you any additional specific info needed.

Thanks to all,

Thanks

is the cable you are using a factory motorola oem cable? if so what is the part number? i am asking you this because it sounds like you are trying to use an astro spectra cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I've never really bothered 'playing' with ADP (it's like owning a Harley but still riding a tricycle)

vpd7503 No Longer Registered

Okie, I have a straight through cable wired per the service manual 4 pins cts rts data tx data rx... It reads and writes just fine to I try to program a codeplug with more than about 10 channels. It beats all I've ever seen.

Thanks for the reply,

Thanks

Err... I hardly know which one of your multiple duplicate threads to reply to?? (https://www.p25.ca/threads/1732-Prob...ing-XTL-radios)

When asking a question like this it will save a lot of time to give all the pertinent facts in your original post, for instance, on Austech you say these radios have VERY old firmware (something like R05.something), that eliminates any questions about using USB cables for example.

The first thing you need to do is try an OEM (genuine Motorola) programming cable, this may not be your problem but why risk thousands of dollars worth of hardware for the sake of saving sixty bucks?

I would not recommend trying to lift the firmware while you're still having communications issues, if it craps out halfway thru an upgrade you have a whole new set of issues to deal with!
    Andrew

Thanks

Agreed. Try an OEM cable first and report back the result.

Jason

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

Programming questions go into the programming forum. You started another thread? You're new, so I'm done flaming you. Please read up on forum etiquette. That is all.

I'm locking this thread. Please continue the conversation in your original thread, which Bigfella237 has posted the link to.